Really looking forward to seeing this when it starts here next week. I knew I recognised the name Sledge and I finally copped it. His words and descriptions were an integral part of the fantastic WW II epic series by Ken Burns called The War. Check that out if you haven't seen it yet.

One note - the butchered GIs that the group encounters was actually a memory of Eugene Sledge, who has yet to enlist (in the series timeline). I wonder why they attached it to Robert Leckie's narrative? It was a very quick shot, but if you looked closely, it was exactly as Sledge described it: a beheaded guy with his own cock stuffed in his mouth.

Watched in last night and intentionally ff'd through this scene. So, thanks for the warning. Think I might have trouble watching the rest of this series....

Also noticed that Caroline Dhanivas has a role as the Leckie character's love interest. Excellent casting.

Caroline_Dhavernas_2bio.jpg

good for her.

Watched in last night and intentionally ff'd through this scene. So, thanks for the warning. Think I might have trouble watching the rest of this series....

I watched it for a second time last night On Demand. I swear the scene was different the second time through - not as graphic.

But the whole episode definitely benefitted from a second viewing. It got better.

It certainly was up close and personal last night. A completely different war as opposed to the European Theater. Again, I'm going to have to re-watch the episode. Fantastic job by the production team. They really out do themselves.

Last night's episode... #3.

How about that Skinamax sex scene? That was a bizarre decision to put that in there. Totally not necessary - they could have left it at the shot of her dropping her robe and getting into bed. I don't need to see them doing it in a slo mo montage.

I know that Band of Brothers left a very high benchmark, but this series is letting me down so far. I don't feel as if there's much character development, and we're 3 episodes in already. Other than being an incredible war hero, I don't know much else about Basilone. Perhaps Leckie's character is most defined, but he seems to serve as a comic foil to balance the serious portions.

The Wikipedia on Basilone is far more suspenseful and entertaining than anything I've seen in the series so far.

It doesn't flow the way BoB did in my opinion. Perhaps that's because I don't know the characters and don't feel particularly invested in their stories yet. Upon reflection, I think BoB's showing us Easy Company's bootcamp and training was a brilliant narrative tool. It allowed us time to get to know several of the key characters that would dominate the storylines for the whole series.

I'm going to keep watching it, hoping at some point it captures me, but so far it is a big letdown. I'm just not confident in the screenplay and where they are focusin their time. I mean, Basilone fights for 48 hours, and they capture it with 10 minutes of the episode, but one whole episode focuses on Melbourne, Australia. Doesn't make sense.

SPOILER ... SPOILER ... SPOILER !!!!!

Having read the Wikipedia on Basilone, and knowing that he'll spend the majority of the series back in the states, I can't help but worry that one of the main storylines of the series is going to tread familar territory of Flags of our Fathers, which I thought was a great film. I want the series to show me more about what happened in the Pacific, and how the Japanese thought and fought. I want to know how our soldiers responded, adapted, or struggled with fighting in the Pacific.

The 3rd episode let me down as well. I realize this was important in telling the story of the men, and having more personal stories about particular characters to advance the story and make you feel more personal about them. But Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan and presumably The Pacific, in my view, serves as historical fiction -- learning about the events of the time from a ground view. Band of Brothers used the men to advance the story, and after two episodes that did that well, this because more drama than docu-drama.

• 1 month later...

Is it weird for anyone else to watch the little boy from Jurrasic Park running around with a machine gun covered in blood?