A bunch of these just opened up in the DFW area. Does anyone here shop at one of these stores? I've heard about the low prices, rented shopping carts, price for shopping bags, etc., but I was wondering if it was worth it. Is the quality of the food good? Do they have organic foods?

I went to one for the first time a couple weeks ago. I bought chocolate muffin mix, some really cute clementines, and olives. It was kind of a weird place though. I used to go to ALDI when I lived in Germany, I don't know if it's related. My mom told me they were owned by Trader Joes.

Guest Speed Racer

My primary experiences with ALDI were in Europe (it's a European company also doing business as HOFER, fyi), where it was downright awesome. My sister shopped there almost exclusively, and we enjoyed the food very much.

My U.S. experiences are mixed: my grandmotehr shopped at one when I was young, and it always struck me as weird. But I was five, and she took her dentures out to watch People's Court. So there's that.

Since the economic downturn though, they've experienced a bit of a boost. The only one near me now is not near me at all, but when I do drive by it, it looks new, clean and crowded.

95% of their food is Aldi-brand, but they use the same suppliers as name brands. In my experience you always have to eagle-eye the produce to make sure nothing's awry; occassionally a five-pound bag will contain two pounds of rotten produce. Their very informative website does not specifiy whether their produce is organic or not, which leads me to believe that it is not. But it is seasonal, which counts for something.

My primary experiences with ALDI were in Europe (it's a European company also doing business as HOFER, fyi), where it was downright awesome. My sister shopped there almost exclusively, and we enjoyed the food very much.

My U.S. experiences are mixed: my grandmotehr shopped at one when I was young, and it always struck me as weird. But I was five, and she took her dentures out to watch People's Court. So there's that.

Since the economic downturn though, they've experienced a bit of a boost. The only one near me now is not near me at all, but when I do drive by it, it looks new, clean and crowded.

95% of their food is Aldi-brand, but they use the same suppliers as name brands. In my experience you always have to eagle-eye the produce to make sure nothing's awry; occassionally a five-pound bag will contain two pounds of rotten produce. Their very informative website does not specifiy whether their produce is organic or not, which leads me to believe that it is not. But it is seasonal, which counts for something.

Thanks. A friend of mine went and said they had gallons of milk for less than $2. Which would be nice, but we give our daughter organic milk. I'll probably just have to go and see everything they have.

I went to one for the first time a couple weeks ago. I bought chocolate muffin mix, some really cute clementines, and olives. It was kind of a weird place though. I used to go to ALDI when I lived in Germany, I don't know if it's related. My mom told me they were owned by Trader Joes.

Not quite. Two brothers own Aldi, which is broken up into Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd. The one who owns Aldi Nord also owns TJ's, but it's Aldi Süd that operates in the U.S.

My mom told me they were owned by Trader Joes.

Aldi was founded by Karl Albrecht, Trader Joe's was founded by Theo Albrecht. They are brothers, but the companies are completely independent of each other. Both of them made an insane amount of money off their respective businesses and are 2 of the richest people in the world (9th & 10th).

Like others have said, its virtually all their private label stuff.

Guest Runaway Jim

We shop at Aldi regularly. We also shop at Jewel regularly. You come to learn there are things that are ok to buy at Aldi for a much lower cost, and there are some things worth spending more on at Jewel. It's a trial process, but it's worth it. After all, if you get something you don't really like, you bought it for basically nothing. We primarily buy bread, butter, milk, granola/breakfast bars, packaged lunch meat, frozen chicken breasts, paper towels and cheese from Aldi. For everything else, we go to Jewel. I would not recommend Aldi for produce.

Organic? I think not, but I don't shope there with any regularity.

They tore one down near my house that was sort of a dump and they are putting up a brand new one in its place. At that point I may become a shopper.

LouieB

Guest Runaway Jim

Aldi's isn't dirt cheap because they sell shit. It's dirt cheap because they don't spend money on things large chains do, such as merchandise racking, real estate, free grocery bags, fancy store signing, etc. Since they don't have the same kind of overhead, the don't need to sell product at bloated costs. I think that's the theory, at least.

As for the comment about organic foods at Aldi's, I don't think there is anything either.

Guest Speed Racer

Aldi's isn't dirt cheap because they sell shit. It's dirt cheap because they don't spend money on things large chains do, such as merchandise racking, real estate, free grocery bags, fancy store signing, etc. Since they don't have the same kind of overhead, the don't need to sell product at bloated costs. I think that's the theory, at least.

They also do their best to ship as locally as possible, as another way to reduce costs. That's why so much of their inventory can be spotty, and why they don't always have certain kinds of produce.

One thing about Aldi is that some of the stuff is pretty gross. I can't remember what it is that I bought one time but it was a good deal so I bought a case of it. It turned out to be really gross and poor quality. I ended up donating the rest of it to a food pantry. So now when I go there and want to try something I haven't tried before, I buy one or two of the items and hope it's there next time. Also, check out their "pharmacy" area. Sometimes they have the Aldi brand ibuprofen or acetaminophen and it's like $.99 for a bottle. Super cheap!

The one by me is small and doesn't have much of a selection, but I do go there occasionally. My kids really like these formed and processed bbq rib things that they sell in the frozen section. They make me want to barf, but to each his own, I guess.

One thing about Aldi is that some of the stuff is pretty gross. I can't remember what it is that I bought one time but it was a good deal so I bought a case of it. It turned out to be really gross and poor quality. I ended up donating the rest of it to a food pantry. So now when I go there and want to try something I haven't tried before, I buy one or two of the items and hope it's there next time. Also, check out their "pharmacy" area. Sometimes they have the Aldi brand ibuprofen or acetaminophen and it's like $.99 for a bottle. Super cheap!

The one by me is small and doesn't have much of a selection, but I do go there occasionally. My kids really like these formed and processed bbq rib things that they sell in the frozen section. They make me want to barf, but to each his own, I guess.

Weird. Ive been shopping there for years. Only negatives I've ever experienced were some bad green beans, some questionable produce (not all the time, just a handful of times, like my regular grocery store). They have a very limited selection, and its mostly frozen and dry goods. What they do have is very good quality and very very cheap.

It's down the street from Trader Joe's. I'll regularly shop at both during the same shopping trip. Food is of similar/same quality.

If you have kids, you can save a fortune shopping for things like cereal there. It's so much cheaper than even the store brands at a decent chain.

Not quite. Two brothers own Aldi, which is broken up into Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd. The one who owns Aldi Nord also owns TJ's, but it's Aldi Süd that operates in the U.S.

You are a veritable font of information. Seriously.

I happened across that bit of information while banging around Wikipedia a couple weeks ago and checking the list of the world's richest people.

Hatching a plan to kidnap someone, or just curious?

They do pay well for retail. I understand, however, they work them pretty good.

Your best bet is to bring your own shopping bags and a quarter for use of the shopping cart. The quarter is refundable if you return the cart to its proper place.

Their ads are a little strange with food and general merchandise items mingled throughout.