I was watching a EJ Christmas Special from 1974 the other day. Was there anything like that in the film?

Not really. There’s a montage that has some 70s concert costumes. The most famous concert that they replicated was his 75 show at Dodgers Stadium where he wore a Dodgers baseball uniform. The 2nd most famous concert was the Troubador show in 1970 where he first landed in the U.S.

It shows him performing Crocodile Rock from that small club, but that wouldn’t happen till a few years later. It works though.

The only EJ I really own is that live album - 17-11-70. I am familiar with most of the others from the early 70s.

That’s a great live album.

I think I’ve listened to Xmas shows in London from 72 & 73. I seem to recall watching one off of YouTube. Must be the one that you’re talking about.

It was a Top of The Pops deal I think. Rod Stewart and Gary Glitter showed up at the end. Rod and Elton are long time friends of course. 

One of my favorite EJ songs is Madman Across The Water. 

Would like to see the movie at some point - I was never a big Queen movie, so I never had any desire to see Bohemian Rhapsody.

My favorite song of his has always been Burn Down the Mission.

That live version on that 70 album is epic. I guess there is a re-release that has more stuff on it. The version I have is an original pressing that someone gave me a long time ago. 

Every Elton John album from Empty Sky in 1969 through Blue Moves in 1976 is well worth owning.

We're talking 13 records if you don't count the Greatest Hits comp or the soundtrack of Friends (which itself has a couple classic tracks only). It's really a run I'd put up there with The Beatles or Stones. In fact, when Elton came along, John Lennon was quoted as saying, "That's the first new thing that's happened since we [The Beatles] happened."

People think he did a lot of shlock--which he did, but not until later. That original Elton band was a real band, a tight unit with great chops and pretty stellar background vocals. Almost all the material on the above mentioned records holds up today.

• 2 years later...

It looks like Elton John is extending his “farewell” tour in the U.S. with stadium dates. There were some teaser posts for each venue over social media today. It came to my attention when I noticed a post earlier today on the Gillette Stadium FB page mentioning a big concert announcement tomorrow. It had Elton’s “E” on the grass. Similar posts were seen in Charlotte, Detroit, Syracuse and Los Angeles. 

I’m curious how tickets will sell, since he’s been on this farewell tour for a long time. It picks up again in the states in January of 2022 and continues through April. I’m guessing there must be some sort of opening act to sweeten the deal. I don’t think that Billy Joel will be joining him for this stadium jaunt. 

On 6/14/2019 at 11:53 PM, Mr. Heartbreak said:

Every Elton John album from Empty Sky in 1969 through Blue Moves in 1976 is well worth owning.

We're talking 13 records if you don't count the Greatest Hits comp or the soundtrack of Friends (which itself has a couple classic tracks only). It's really a run I'd put up there with The Beatles or Stones. In fact, when Elton came along, John Lennon was quoted as saying, "That's the first new thing that's happened since we [The Beatles] happened."

People think he did a lot of shlock--which he did, but not until later. That original Elton band was a real band, a tight unit with great chops and pretty stellar background vocals. Almost all the material on the above mentioned records holds up today.

I just saw this thread - I completely agree with your sentiments. His band rocked and is often underrated compared to the other bands of the era. I was very fortunate to have seen them several times (pre-shlock), and I would always leave with a huge smile. I may have to toss on Tumbleweed this morning.