When's the last time...

Guest Speed Racer

The last time it was credited as Wilco on WilcoBase was November 4, 1997. In my experience with old recordings, though, Jeff would usually perform Gun and Black Eye solo acoustic in the middle of a Wilco show.

Jeff played Gun at the solo show that he did in Northampton, MA in Nov 2005 (because all of Wilco has a love affair with MA).

I am pretty sure that Three Dollars And Sixty Three Cents on this board yelled out for that and Jeff heard it because we were sitting in the 2nd row.

I love "Gun" but I'm not sure how good it would sound with the current lineup... seems almost too straightforward for a 6-piece band. I would love to hear them try an arrangement, though.

Three times yes, that'd be really interesting I think. Don't get me wrong, I love the straightforward version as well.

AM songs are pretty straightforward too and they get performed by the whole band once in a while so why not really early stuff such as Gun. And especially a track like "Kingpin" is also a pure bred alt-country rocker, and that sounds great on Ashes of American Flags.

Anyway, I guess I'm just in a stage in denial about this...I'll never get to hear it live :ohwell .

"New Madrid" was probably the last holdover from UT that we'll ever hear. It was fairly regular up until 2003 or so. I too would just about die if they played "Gun" though. Perhaps it could be a long shot at a future residency run, but probably not.

If I had to pick one Uncle Tupelo song to hear played by Wilco now, I might just pick "The Long Cut." Or, say if they continued to mix in a semi-acoustic set in their shows, I actually think they could do some interesting things with "Sandusky." But now I have to be a realist and pretty much abandon all hopes of hearing Wilco play an Uncle Tupelo song anytime soon. I'm content to hear those in Tweedy's solo shows...whenever another one of those tours happens again...

• 2 weeks later...

People have UT on the brain these days, which is cool.

Any Tupelo so far on the 2010 Tour?

But - I can't see the current version of Wilco playing those songs. They have several albums of Wilco songs to play.

If you want to hear some live UT songs, why not seek out some UT live shows. There are several out there to be had.

If you just want to hear Jeff doing a live version of Gun, or some other UT song, go to Wilcobase, look up the song, and then click on the date for that show where the song was played. If there is a source for the show, it will be listed at the bottom of the page under Audio Sources.

LOL don't see it happening, Wilco should do what Pearl Jam did and play their entire catalog in 6-day residency. That's the only way it seems we're ever hearing Gun by the whole line-up.

Umm...Wilco HAS played their whole catalogue in a residency. And doing so wouldn't include songs like Gun anyway.

I think, at this point, it's a bit ridiculous to expect Tupelo songs from Wilco. There are just too many Wilco songs to play.

It still floors me that they played the acoustic version of Spiders at nearly every show this last leg. I always have thought that they should have bookended one of the residency shows with the acoustic and kraut versions.

Umm...Wilco HAS played their whole catalogue in a residency. And doing so wouldn't include songs like Gun anyway.

I think, at this point, it's a bit ridiculous to expect Tupelo songs from Wilco. There are just too many Wilco songs to play.

It's not b/c this topic talks about 'gun' you have to shoot me for my ignorance. nah, just kidding...if you don't mind me asking...when did they do this?

It's not b/c this topic talks about 'gun' you have to shoot me for my ignorance. nah, just kidding...if you don't mind me asking...when did they do this?

February 2008

You can go to Wilcobase and look at the set lists.