So if you like the Avett Brothers ...

So I have really been digging The Avett Brothers lately (all the records except I&L&Y).

I am interested in finding other artists who have that high energy blend of bluegrass and rock. Where should I be looking?

Last.fm suggested Old Crow Medicine Show, Chatham County Line, Yonder Mountain String Band and Deer Tick. I have records from none of these fine artists.

Is this a good place to start? Amy suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Mumford and Sons have that kind of glossy polish that the Avetts also have, but I much prefer Old Crow Medicine Show over both. O.C.M.S. is one of my favourite records in the world.

How about Langhorne Slim's Be Set Free? I love it for some of the same reasons I like the Avett Brothers.

Let me second Mumford & Sons and also Deer Tick--definitely pick up Born on Flag Day. It's a little grungier than the Avetts, but terrific.

Truth & Salvage Co. are touring with The Avett Brothers out on the West Coast. Good band that C. Robinson produced. They toured with the Crowes and were a hit.

Actually, I saw T&S Co. open for the Avetts at the recent show in SD. Good, bu not enough acoustic guitar for my tastes.

I was going to post Mumford and Sons, so yeah - I'm 4thing that.

I caught a M&S song on XM today. Really liked it. Good suggestion.

Thanks to all for the rec's.

How about Langhorne Slim's Be Set Free? I love it for some of the same reasons I like the Avett Brothers.

Let me second Mumford & Sons and also Deer Tick--definitely pick up Born on Flag Day. It's a little grungier than the Avetts, but terrific.

All of this! Langhorne Slim is an underrated artist. Love his stuff.

Mumford & Sons is less on the bluegrassy stuff and heavier on the indie but they do bring the banjo.

Deer Tick Born on Flag Day and their EP are great stuff.

You may also like some early Marah and maybe some AA Bondy.

sucks to be you. granted, it is a diff direction, but great in its own right.

i like it a lot, but it's one of their weaker full lengths for me.

however, based on the title of his post (ie: banjo) i can see what he meant, they traded the banjo & acoustic guitars for a mostly piano driven affair this time.

however, based on the title of his post (ie: banjo) i can see what he meant, they traded the banjo & acoustic guitars for a mostly piano driven affair this time.

Yes, probably my only complaint about the new one. I like it quite a bit. With the exception of a couple of songs (including title track), I listen to it quite a bit. That said, the absence of banjo is sorely missed.

Yes, this is my feeling. I am an acoustic guitar / banjo guy. There was not enough of either on I&L&Y.

Yes, this is my feeling. I am an acoustic guitar / banjo guy. There was not enough of either on I&L&Y.

trudat.

i do find myself really liking laundry room especially b/c of the last minute banjo jam. anybody seen the tiny desk music concert they played for npr??

awesomeness!

trudat.

i do find myself really liking laundry room especially b/c of the last minute banjo jam. anybody seen the tiny desk music concert they played for npr??

awesomeness!

Yes, the bluegrass coda to LR is the best moment on the album. I did see the tiny desk concert; very cool. I recently saw TAB and the opened with LR. B)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...