New CSNY Box Set Coming

Crosby' date=' Stills, Nash & Young's 1974 summer tour was unprecedented in many ways with a huge sound system able to blast tens of thousands at outdoor stadiums. The Bill Graham produced spectacle went on to usher in the massive rock and roll extravaganzas that so many other acts would later follow.

Now comes word that a box set of CSNY's historic 1974 tour will be released by the end of the year. Planned as a three CD and a DVD set, the box is being put together by Joel Bernstein and Stanley Johnson from eight full shows from that tour.[/quote']

Looks pretty awesome.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty awesome.

link?

there's been rumors about this for years. like the archives, i'll believe it when i see it. however, neil is due to put out something here soon. maybe this project is spawned by stuff in the archives II. anyway, would love to get a nice sounding pushed it over the end.

The Wembley Arena show was what I was thinking of. I have seen that up at various BT sites over the years. I have never heard any of the shows from the 1974 tour. In Shakey, it seems like Neil did not have too many good things to say about the tour.

They were one of the first bands to do a tour of mostly stadiums - is that correct?

Tour 1974 (tourdates)

08-27 Chicago, IL Chicago Stadium

08-28 Chicago, IL Chicago Stadium

08-29 Chicago, IL Chicago Stadium

I am pretty sure I saw one of these.....fun show, but things consistiantly picked up when Neil was with the group or did a solo number.

LouieB

I don't know if they were the first group to consistantly do arenas. I don't think so. I saw several shows at the Chicago Stadium during the 70s.

The show was expensive for then (no idea what it cost), since I had little money in those days. But the show was really long and in fact got kind of slow in places. There were all sorts of break-outs with Stills and Young playing together, Crosby and Nash playing together, solo stuff, etc. I would have to say I was thrilled to see them at the time, but I would not consider seeing anyone but Neil these days and even him I find expensive, even though I have more money now.

LouieB

According to Neil, most of the money from that tour was spent on drugs, production costs, and Bill Graham.

This is true. Bill was one hell of a guy, and he knew better than anyone how to cater to Rock star's egos (and from what I've read there were few bands with bigger egos than CSNY), but all the lavish expense was taken out of what would've been profit margin for the bands.

Of course I suppose the artists didn't really care all that much - and who would when everyone around you is telling you you're the greatest thing since sliced bread. :yes

I gotta be honest. I listened to both CSN(Y) original albums until I don't care if I ever hear them again. And Four Way street just plain sucks. Subsiquent CSN albums are way bad.

This box set would be way way way at the bottom of any list of stuff I had to have, even if I did see this tour. Forty years on there just isn't any place in my brain for hearing these guys. They were part of my youth (quite literally, since I was a camp counselor when the first CSN album came out, I remember it like yesterday). It was great stuff then. Just no longer vital to me.

Not being a grouchy old guy...just sayin. Loved it and just dont love it any more.

LouieB

The Wembley Arena show was what I was thinking of. I have seen that up at various BT sites over the years. I have never heard any of the shows from the 1974 tour. In Shakey, it seems like Neil did not have too many good things to say about the tour.

They were one of the first bands to do a tour of mostly stadiums - is that correct?

Tour 1974 (tourdates)

from what i've read from csny and joni mitchell, the tour was a nightmare. nash wrote a song called take the money and run based on all the money they lost. i love the version of pushed it over the end from that tour.

But the first CSN album is great.

i like the CSN album from 77 too.

I gotta be honest. I listened to both CSN(Y) original albums until I don't care if I ever hear them again. And Four Way street just plain sucks. Subsiquent CSN albums are way bad.

This box set would be way way way at the bottom of any list of stuff I had to have, even if I did see this tour. Forty years on there just isn't any place in my brain for hearing these guys. They were part of my youth (quite literally, since I was a camp counselor when the first CSN album came out, I remember it like yesterday). It was great stuff then. Just no longer vital to me.

Not being a grouchy old guy...just sayin. Loved it and just dont love it any more.

LouieB

I, for one, find it refreshing to come across someone who continues to evolve as he ages. Most people tend to miss what they had and can't appreciate the new. I am reminded of the late great George Harrison who in his later years claimed there wasn't any good music being made anymore. I was disappointed by that attitude from a guy who was part of a band that irritated many older folks in the 60's because of the music they were making. Hats off to you, sir, for recognizing the talent and quality of CSN, but also understanding that the themes of those times are outdated. The time of Vietnam was and is important, but shit, it's been over a long time now. I got tired of hearing about it 20 years ago.

The first record was on my flawless album's list. If I'd been thinking Songs for Beginners would have made an apperance also.

--Mike

Randy Travis?

I don't much care for Nash songs, but he is the N in CSN.

Without him, it would not sound right.

But the first CSN album is great.

You are correct sir....but how many more times do I need to hear Suite Judy Blue Eyes? Actually some of the material from the Deja Vu I like better. There is nothing at all wrong with either album. I have listened to them countless times that is all and many of the songs continue to be played endlessly on XRT and other classic rock stations.

LouieB

I, for one, find it refreshing to come across someone who continues to evolve as he ages. Most people tend to miss what they had and can't appreciate the new. I am reminded of the late great George Harrison who in his later years claimed there wasn't any good music being made anymore. I was disappointed by that attitude from a guy who was part of a band that irritated many older folks in the 60's because of the music they were making. Hats off to you, sir, for recognizing the talent and quality of CSN, but also understanding that the themes of those times are outdated. The time of Vietnam was and is important, but shit, it's been over a long time now. I got tired of hearing about it 20 years ago.

And the other half of the time people think I am a cranky old guy who doesn't like anything new. Neither is really true. It is just sort of like seeing PBS showing Carole King and James Taylor play their hits from 1971. I saw that original tour also. Those were great songs, they take me back, but my goodness how many more times can I listen to any of that stuff? Then again I don't dare strip my shelves of them....because...

But on the other hand. . .

....those albums were pretty fucking cool...no doubt....I remember seeing the three of them sitting on that old couch on the porch, the feel of the cardboard stock in my hands, hearing Suite Judy Blue Eyes and finding out it was written for Judy Collins, who Steve Stills played with on a couple of her albums and were also fantastic for their time. My my hey hey....

LouieB

And the other half of the time people think I am a cranky old guy who doesn't like anything new. Neither is really true. It is just sort of like seeing PBS showing Carole King and James Taylor play their hits from 1971. I saw that original tour also. Those were great songs, they take me back, but my goodness how many more times can I listen to any of that stuff? Then again I don't dare strip my shelves of them....because...

....those albums were pretty fucking cool...no doubt....I remember seeing the three of them sitting on that old couch on the porch, the feel of the cardboard stock in my hands, hearing Suite Judy Blue Eyes and finding out it was written for Judy Collins, who Steve Stills played with on a couple of her albums and were also fantastic for their time. My my hey hey....

LouieB

I am 44 year old guy who really only likes to listen to old music.

It's all good.

I have an original pressings of the album - that cover is neat.

I am 44 year old guy who really only likes to listen to old music.

It's all good.

I have an original pressings of the album - that cover is neat.

Yes it is....

I am an even older guy who likes to listen to even older music. Doing the math you are listening to music that was made around the time you were born, I have a fondness for music made long before I am born, but that is a subject for another thread at another time. Check out the jazz thread for more info on this... Okay so I like the new stuff too.

Okay..off to work......bright and early..

LouieB

Yes it is....

I am an even older guy who likes to listen to even older music. Doing the math you are listening to music that was made around the time you were born, I have a fondness for music made long before I am born, but that is a subject for another thread at another time. Check out the jazz thread for more info on this... Okay so I like the new stuff too.

Okay..off to work......bright and early..

LouieB

I have an antique mind.

Neil Young - 1974 Set Lists