Trade a Waylon for a Buddy.

I believe the story goes something like :

Waylon Jennings gave up his seat to the Big Bopper one fateful night in which Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash. My question is, if you could, would you give up all you know of Waylon Jennings to see what Buddy Holly might have done? Would you have Waylon get on the plane instead of Buddy? I would. I love Waylon's music and the Dukes of Hazard were one of my favorite shows growing up but I do believe that Buddy was more talented and might have surprised us all. I would love to see what Jeff Beck and John Lennon would sound like when they did the collaboration with Buddy and The Crickets. Or what different phases he would go through much like Bob Dylan has done.

I know, it's not worth sweating what's happened in the past and messing with history is a scary thing, just ask Bill, Ted and Michael J Fox. However, it is good patio, beer drinking discussion.

I believe the story goes something like :

Waylon Jennings gave up his seat to the Big Bopper one fateful night in which Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash. My question is, if you could, would you give up all you know of Waylon Jennings to see what Buddy Holly might have done? Would you have Waylon get on the plane instead of Buddy? I would. I love Waylon's music and the Dukes of Hazard were one of my favorite shows growing up but I do believe that Buddy was more talented and might have surprised us all. I would love to see what Jeff Beck and John Lennon would sound like when they did the collaboration with Buddy and The Crickets. Or what different phases he would go through much like Bob Dylan has done.

I know, it's not worth sweating what's happened in the past and messing with history is a scary thing, just ask Bill, Ted and Michael J Fox. However, it is good patio, beer drinking discussion.

Forget about Waylon Jennings and Buddy Holly...how about Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn?

Buddy Holly was a huge innovator, great songwriter, and performer. He may not have even hit his stride. I certainly do not wish death on Jennings, but would love to hear what Holly had in him.

Clapton or Vaughn? SRV's last album w/ his brother was disappointing. Does that mean he was through? No way, but even though Clapton has put out a lot of claptrap since SRV's death, he's also had some great moments, esp. the album w/ JJ Cale. I'd probably be in the minority by saying keep Clapton.

This is supposed to be silly fun. No one is wishing death on anyone. Especially since both Buddy and Waylon are dead anyway. I would rather have all the greats, who have passed, still alive and kicki'n.

Hell, I'll cut Clapton some slack since he's still alive. Again, I'm just trying to have fun and hear some insight from you guys/gals, whose opinions I seem to always respect. (Whether I agree with them or not)

:rock

wow thats a pretty interesting topic. definitely good fodder for patio brew.

i can't take the clapton/ vaughn arguement. I can't believe Stevie Ray , and may he rest in peace in all his infinite awesomeness, ever had a "layla and assorted love songs" in him..

buddy or waylon : not fair to waylon. maybe buddy or miles ???

maybe buddy or neil?

Prince?

maybe jimi or stevie???

how bout, geez i had a good one that now escapes me....ummmm how bout Gram parsons or Ryan adams???

ok ok i'll stop

good concept!!!

wow thats a pretty interesting topic. definitely good fodder for patio brew.

i can't take the clapton/ vaughn arguement. I can't believe Stevie Ray , and may he rest in peace in all his infinite awesomeness, ever had a "layla and assorted love songs" in him..

buddy or waylon : not fair to waylon. maybe buddy or miles ???

maybe buddy or neil?

Prince?

maybe jimi or stevie???

how bout, geez i had a good one that now escapes me....ummmm how bout Gram parsons or Ryan adams???

ok ok i'll stop

good concept!!!

Keep in mind SRV died in 1990. Clapton had already released the good stuff by then, including Layla.

I think the way things turned out is just fine. I love the music of Waylon Jennings!

That's not to say that I don't like Buddy. I actually prefer his music over Waylon, but could he have contributed anything more to music than he already had? The answer lies in the artists that do survive. They typically shine bright and then struggle to even match their best output, let alone put out something better.

Great topic!!!