New Zealand earthquake

I'm a New Zealander - but living in Sydney. Just spoke to some friends in Christchurch who were woken at 4.30am by the big quake. Lots of structural damage, power blackouts etc, but remarkably few injuries given the scale of the quake. NZ has one of the strictist earthquake-proofing building codes in the world - which fortunately does seem to have saved lives in this case.

I'm a New Zealander - but living in Sydney. Just spoke to some friends in Christchurch who were woken at 4.30am by the big quake. Lots of structural damage, power blackouts etc, but remarkably few injuries given the scale of the quake. NZ has one of the strictist earthquake-proofing building codes in the world - which fortunately does seem to have saved lives in this case.

So glad those strict earthquake-proofing building codes are in effect. The damage looked fairly bad where brick buildings were involved, but I'm sure it might've been far worse if not for the building codes. It's amazing that so few injuries have been reported. Hope it stays that way.

And yes Robert, thank you for reminding us all to spare a worry for the Sauvignon Blanc! I'm sure they'll recover from their trauma. :stunned

They're now waiting for the big one (which will probably be in about 6 weeks :ninja).

Kudos to the people who once decided it was essential to apply those strict earthquake-proofing building rules, as I've just read that this quake was about the same magnitude as the Haiti one....

Glad everyone is ok. Kia ora marire, Aoteaora :love

Hope everyone is safe and sound!

That and the Sauvignon Blanc on the vines.......hope they are OK too...

-Robert

My favorite wine! Just bought 2 bottles today - one for a fancy chicken marinade (mom's 82nd birthday recipe wish!) and one to drink while making the fancy chicken marinade. :wine :party

Hope everyone is safe and sound!

My favorite wine! Just bought 2 bottles today - one for a fancy chicken marinade (mom's 82nd birthday recipe wish!) and one to drink while making the fancy chicken marinade. :wine :party

Mine too! For whites, anyway. Just found a great sale on Monkey Bay for $7.99/bottle yesterday and got 6 of them. I'll toast to the building codes in New Zealand when I drink 'em!