Jeff Tweedy 10.2.10 Farm Aid

An incredibly short set at Farm Aid tonight. It sounded great, but it was much, much too short. I'm ready for a proper solo tour.

Sunken Treasure

Remember The Mountain Bed

I'll Fight

You're Not Alone

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Also, after hearing Jeff play "You're Not Alone" solo at the Vic in March and then hearing the Mavis album, I couldn't decide which version I preferred. Tonight made it clear that there's no choosing; each is wonderful in its own way. "Open up, this is a raid," both musically and lyrically, is brilliant.

Also, after hearing Jeff play "You're Not Alone" solo at the Vic in March and then hearing the Mavis album, I couldn't decide which version I preferred. Tonight made it clear that there's no choosing; each is wonderful in its own way. "Open up, this is a raid," both musically and lyrically, is brilliant.

I so hope someone captured Jeff's all-too-short set. I missed it live tonight and would love to have heard him sing You Are Not Alone.

I'm also keen to see some video Thanks for posting the set-list.

Here's what the MSJ blog published earlier today:

At least one nearby Farm Aid attendee was heard to bellow, “Time for a Dylan impersonator!” when Jeff Tweedy came out, and admittedly there were superficial resemblances: unfussy acoustic guitar, harmonica, unkempt hair on face and head.

There were deeper, worthier resemblances, too. Playing solo, Tweedy, best known for his leadership of the brilliant, fluctuating indie band Wilco, was able to strip a song down to its essence, not letting the distractions of a stadium crowd dissolve his focus.

Also quite like Dylan, Tweedy evoked the great Woody Guthrie, albeit using Guthrie’s own words in “Remember the Mountain Bed,” a tune Tweedy once helped write around previously unpublished lyrics. He proved himself a mesmerizing, earthy presence. If that makes him a Dylan impersonator, bring on a few more like him.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/104215424.html

At least one nearby Farm Aid attendee was heard to bellow, “Time for a Dylan impersonator!” when Jeff Tweedy came out

Yeah, that must have been awful for him to sit through while he waited for Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews. :blink

Last year Direct TV channel 101 replayed "Farm Aid" several times and looks like it will be this year too - broken up and edited for their "Growing Hope for America" series - which is part of the concert series on channel 101

from Direct TV:

Neil Young, Dave Matthews, Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp headline Farm Aid’s 25th Anniversary concert on October 2 at 6pm ET at Miller Park in Milwaukee with host Tavis Smiley and co-host Michael Symon. See all 6 hours of "Farm Aid 25: Growing Hope for America" LIVE, commercial-free and in HD, exclusively on The 101® Network.

"DIRECTV is honored to be airing Farm Aid's annual concert for the third consecutive year," said Patty Ishimoto, vice president of DIRECTV Entertainment and General Manager of The 101 Network. "In addition to providing our customers with a truly spectacular concert experience, we wanted to mark the event's 25th anniversary by further emphasizing Farm Aid's fundamental messaging by showcasing a number of series and specials from Planet Green and Documentary Channel that promote the importance of ecology, sustainability and family farming."

The six hour broadcast will be filmed entirely in HD and air in 5.1 surround sound. As in years past, DIRECTV will create original one-hour specials featuring performances from Farm Aid 25: Growing Hope for America, which will air on The 101 Network as part of the DIRECTV Concert Series.

An incredibly short set at Farm Aid tonight. It sounded great, but it was much, much too short. I'm ready for a proper solo tour.

Sunken Treasure

Remember The Mountain Bed

I'll Fight

You're Not Alone

I'm The Man Who Loves You

I've been to Farm Aid twice, and I could definitely say the concert suffers from trying to cram too many artists into a one day/one stage event. The last one I went to had the following bands: Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young and Dave Matthews with Merle Haggard, Ray Price, Billy Joe Shaver, Tim Reynolds, Gregg Allman, The Allman Brothers Band, Counting Crows, Matisyahu, Guster, The Derek Trucks Band, Warren Haynes, Supersuckers, The Ditty Bops, Montgomery Gentry, Jimmy Sturr, Danielle Evin, Jesse Lenat, Pauline Reese, Paula Nelson, Titty Bingo, 40 Points. It was ridiculous.

Here's what the MSJ blog published earlier today:

At least one nearby Farm Aid attendee was heard to bellow, “Time for a Dylan impersonator!” when Jeff Tweedy came out, and admittedly there were superficial resemblances: unfussy acoustic guitar, harmonica, unkempt hair on face and head.

There were deeper, worthier resemblances, too. Playing solo, Tweedy, best known for his leadership of the brilliant, fluctuating indie band Wilco, was able to strip a song down to its essence, not letting the distractions of a stadium crowd dissolve his focus.

Also quite like Dylan, Tweedy evoked the great Woody Guthrie, albeit using Guthrie’s own words in “Remember the Mountain Bed,” a tune Tweedy once helped write around previously unpublished lyrics. He proved himself a mesmerizing, earthy presence. If that makes him a Dylan impersonator, bring on a few more like him.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/104215424.html

Amen to that.

Official videos of Tweedy's Farm Aid set are up on youtube, courtesy of the Farm Aid website. There is a box below the videos where you can donate money to Farm Aid, too.

The links below are in the order of songs played...

Enjoy!

~Aaron