Mavis and Tweedy Tues 10/5 on Letterman

I could watch this clip all day. Not sure how it addresses the point about "Wrote a Song for Everyone" sounding like "The Weight," but still, any chance to revisit that clip is OK by me. Mavis was a real looker in her younger days, wasn't she? (She's still a cutie, I think.)

And to the point about the songs' similarities, I hadn't thought about it, but I do see it. It was a really nice performance on the show, too, with Jeff taking a verse. Maybe that heightened the feeling of similarity between the songs as well.

Don't overthink things...

So, just found out that "Wrote a Song for Everyone" is a Creedence Clearwater Revival song. Duh! If I had read the blurb on the Consequence of Sound link this wouldn't have been bugging me for days! It does have a similar sound/structure to "The Weight," but being a CCR song explains why it sounded so familiar to me. But you all probably already knew that!

Yesssss!

I really liked both performances--I might give the edge to You Are Not Alone just because I love the song, but I enjoyed the arrangement of Wrote a Song on Letterman, with Jeff taking a verse.

But this gives me the opportunity to flog an apparently dead horse yet again--why no comments on the interview with Mavis and Jeff on Colbert? I posted it on another thread in this topic, or you could click here http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/361308/october-06-2010/mavis-staples---jeff-tweedy

I really liked both performances--I might give the edge to You Are Not Alone just because I love the song, but I enjoyed the arrangement of Wrote a Song on Letterman, with Jeff taking a verse.

But this gives me the opportunity to flog an apparently dead horse yet again--why no comments on the interview with Mavis and Jeff on Colbert? I posted it on another thread in this topic, or you could click here http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/361308/october-06-2010/mavis-staples---jeff-tweedy

Loved the "plaid shirt" comment. My love for Stephen is almost as strong as my love for JT

Reminds me of that great Monty Python line, "No use beating around the bush with a dead horse!" :lol

But seriously Diane, so often we read things on here and don't have time, or neglect to comment...but I personally thank you for sharing that wonderful interview clip, since I'd missed the actual show. When Colbert began by listing off all the musical genres Mavis had excelled in, and then finished off by asking her why she was having so much trouble finding her "sound", the laugh caught me so suddenly & so hard that I almost spit my orange juice all over the monitor!!! From the way Mavis and Jeff reacted, it hit them just as delightfully, quirkily off-center. He's such a hoot. A true original.

I loved the way "You Are Not Alone" was staged, from Colbert's goofy crouch at the beginning that kept Mavis giggling, to the gorgeous blue-and-bronze lighting that so suited the mood of the song. And the song itself was bliss to listen to!

Thanks, Barb and Donna! I really wasn't annoyed by the lack of comments, just puzzled that others didn't find the interview as compelling as the one-liner on 30 Rock. :ermm Stephen and Jeff are two of my favorite people on the planet, though, so maybe I'm more smitten than most.