Mavis and Tweedy Tues 10/5 on Letterman

Don't know if this was posted, just a heads up on tomorrow's late show with david letterman, mavis staples and jeff tweedy perform! :music

YAY!!! :w00t

Wonder what Fogerty thinks of how Mavis and Jeff tackle his song? It's certainly more uptempo. The first time I remember playing the original on "Green River" I thought the record was dragging. The CCR original might be the most soulful song in their catalog, and that's saying a lot. Anyhow one of the better tv performances I've seen in quite sometime, we'll probably get "You Are Not Alone," tonight on Colbert.

I guess I'm just really lost on the appeal of this. I tried to get excited, but found this performance a real yawn. I'm sure it's a fine thing to watch live, but I would never be jumping to this song on the ipod... maybe I just need to give it more listens.

Thanks for the link to the better quality clip on Consequences of Sound site. I'd checked out the version someone had video-camed off their TV ( :no ) and was a bit underwhelmed. But I've just listened three times in a row to the quality version - and Mavis, Jeff, and the band knock it out of the park.

Thanks for the link to the better quality clip on Consequences of Sound site. I'd checked out the version someone had video-camed off their TV ( :no ) and was a bit underwhelmed. But I've just listened three times in a row to the quality version - and Mavis, Jeff, and the band knock it out of the park.

I did the same thing and had the same reaction. Beautiful performance.

So Tuesday night my heart starts beating real fast, and it's hard to breath and this pressure in my chest, so my wife being a nurse rushes me to the ER, half way there I say we need to go back home and set the DVR for Letterman, she doesn't listen. So I'm in the ER for a few hours when they say I need to stay overnight for more evaluations, Letterman comes on and the nurse tells me he thinks they found me a bed, and I ask nicely if it can wait until after Letterman (I was in an ER room with a TV), he said we'll see and walks away. He shows back up during the long commercial break right before they are about to go on and starts moving me, I said "can you wait just 5 minutes", he said "are you serious?", I said "I've been waiting all night for this, this is Jeff Tweedy", he goes "but we found you a room", so I say, "good, is it going to go somewhere?", he rolls his eyes, turns the tv back on and leave the room :^) Turns out I'm ok, anyway.

So Tuesday night my heart starts beating real fast, and it's hard to breath and this pressure in my chest, so my wife being a nurse rushes me to the ER, half way there I say we need to go back home and set the DVR for Letterman, she doesn't listen. So I'm in the ER for a few hours when they say I need to stay overnight for more evaluations, Letterman comes on and the nurse tells me he thinks they found me a bed, and I ask nicely if it can wait until after Letterman (I was in an ER room with a TV), he said we'll see and walks away. He shows back up during the long commercial break right before they are about to go on and starts moving me, I said "can you wait just 5 minutes", he said "are you serious?", I said "I've been waiting all night for this, this is Jeff Tweedy", he goes "but we found you a room", so I say, "good, is it going to go somewhere?", he rolls his eyes, turns the tv back on and leave the room :^) Turns out I'm ok, anyway.

Oh my god, you had me laughing out loud! This is something I could totally see myself doing, but I'm not sure I could have pulled it off the way you did. My hat's off to you :cheers. And so glad you're OK!! (Is it possible the whole episode was due to anticipation of the Letterman appearance? Hope not--it wasn't THAT good!)

Now that's devotion! :lol Bosco, so glad you are ok.

I haven't given much attention to the Mavis Staples project, but I was pleasantly surprised by this, and think I'll check out more.

I like the rootsy feel of it- twangy tele and all. It would be nice to have a bit of this vibe on the next Wilco record. Scratch that, it would be nice to have a truckload of that vibe on the next Wilco record.

I do hear a bit of "the weight" in there, but I also hear a little of Neil YOung's "Falling From Above" from Greendale.

I could watch this clip all day. Not sure how it addresses the point about "Wrote a Song for Everyone" sounding like "The Weight," but still, any chance to revisit that clip is OK by me. Mavis was a real looker in her younger days, wasn't she? (She's still a cutie, I think.)

And to the point about the songs' similarities, I hadn't thought about it, but I do see it. It was a really nice performance on the show, too, with Jeff taking a verse. Maybe that heightened the feeling of similarity between the songs as well.

To me, this song sounds a LOT like "The Weight" (take a load off) by The Band. Anyone else feeling it?

That's one of my all-time favorite songs, but I never noticed a similarity between them until you mentioned it--but I hear it now, at least a little.