Music Tone test

I found this music tone test on another forum. It'll play you a short passage of music, and then another passage. You answer by clicking a button saying if the two musical passages were the same or different.

I scored an 88.9, which qualifies me as someone with "excellent musical abilities." I don't know about all that, but I thought it was an interesting test, despite some of the cheesy computer generated music.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/IcerC/OnlineScreen.swf

I'm counting my 75% score in the "greater than 75%" category. :D

I took it a second time. I thought I was doing better than the first time, but I scored 11 points lower. :stunned Still in the excellent range, though. :thumbup

I don't understand what a musical phrase is, I guess. I was looking for a comparison between two pieces but basically heard one piece in each question...

In the passages (or phrases) that are different; there's a note or two (usually at the end) that is a different note than in the first passage.

So for example; the first passage might be A, C, A... The next different passage is A, C#, A..

I don't understand what a musical phrase is, I guess. I was looking for a comparison between two pieces but basically heard one piece in each question...

There's a gap between the two phrases that lasts a few seconds. The musical phrases are either very similar or identical. The point of the test, I assume, is to measure your ability to detect subtle tonal differences.

80.6%

Possibly a bit higher (or lower) in reality because at least a couple of times I inadvertently clicked the button I didn't mean to click (that'll teach me to try to move too fast through one of these things).

I think I invented slight differences between phrases on a few of those.

I might have done that, as well. After a ten or so, my mind started playing tricks on me. To complicate matters, some of them are harmonized, and the differences could have been in the harmony, rather than the primary melodic note(s).