Since the range of this category has spread so wide, I'll mention Junior Brown, The Gourds, Eleven Hundred Springs, BR-549, Steve Earle, and Hank III.

I dearly love Loretta! Thought her CD w/ Jack White was terrific. Can't wait to see what he does with Wanda Jackson in 2011!!!

Couldn't agree more about Hank Williams! My all time favorite.

God Bless Doug Sahm!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned Joe Ely earlier but forget to mention this great record:

3747534766_f3eccfe570.jpg

Speaking of the Flatlanders, Jimmie Dale Gilmore has some records worth getting (After Awhile being one of them.) I've never delved into Butch Hancock's solo stuff, not sure what that's like.

I've had this one since it came out. Love it. Been meaning to get their other music, but I keep forgetting.

f3e84d7e.jpg

Anyone mention Roger Miller yet?

(I don't that that I've seen his name.)

Anyway, I am not one that can suggest specific albums, but I am sure that there is somebody here who can. I just know that the stuff of his that I have heard is pretty outstanding.

I've had this one since it came out. Love it. Been meaning to get their other music, but I keep forgetting.

f3e84d7e.jpg

The only problem with this album is the irritating musical saw on some of the numbers. (There are actually two versions of this album, one on Sun out of Nashville, I have no idea why.... some licensing thing I guess.)

LouieB

The JJW fans will enjoy this.

Cool! I'm looking forward to that one.

The only problem with this album is the irritating musical saw on some of the numbers. (There are actually two versions of this album, one on Sun out of Nashville, I have no idea why.... some licensing thing I guess.)

LouieB

If their other work is better than this, then I'll certainly have to check that out.

Totally agree. This is my favorite Townes by far--it's so intimate and real, and he was apparently in a pretty good place when he recorded this. Lots of funny banter.

There's also a 2-disc greatest hits called Legend that's a good value, and I really like Roadsongs as well. If you find yourself getting into Townes (who could not?) I highly recommend a tribute album Called Poet--A Tribute to Townes Van Zandt. Some wonderful interpretations of his songs, by a real who's who of artists he influenced. I love almost every recording on this one, but I'm particularly partial to John Prine covering "Loretta." Just awesome!

I much prefer Townes' live material over his studio stuff. Here's another live Townes album that gets a lot of play from me:

300x300.jpg

If their other work is better than this, then I'll certainly have to check that out.

Their solo work is excellent in most cases (see above), but their more recent studio material is only so so. There is a live album from the period of the original recording which is interesting though (and if I recall also has the irritating musical saw on it.)

oneknite_cvr_300.jpg

LouieB

Just got back from my local record store. I got some Waylon, Willie, and a Gary Stewart two-fer. I was surprised, they didn't have a good deal of the titles everyone mentioned.

Just got back from my local record store. I got some Waylon, Willie, and a Gary Stewart two-fer. I was surprised, they didn't have a good deal of the titles everyone mentioned.

If you want to get into Buck Owens, Sundazed has all the early stuff for a pretty good price.

I looked for some Buck, I couldn't find any. I printed everything out before. Listening to the Gary Stewart now, it's great.

Also, don't laugh... but 'Like Red on a Rose' by Alan Jackson is actually really good.

I looked for some Buck, I couldn't find any. I printed everything out before. Listening to the Gary Stewart now, it's great.

Also, don't laugh... but 'Like Red on a Rose' by Alan Jackson is actually really good.

Outside of a greatest hits by Willie or someone else well known, I would be surprised to find most of what has been listed in this thread in a store.

There use to be a record store in Pittsburgh that had an actual old country/alt.country section. It is long gone, of course.

Old country records are really not hard to find. I stopped by Recycled Records in Springfield last week and their country section is quite large, tons of old LPs. They have whole sections of nearly all the artist discussed here and others that we have not such as Hank Snow, Hank Thompson, and all the other Hanks (Williams....). Even Laurie's here in Chicago has a pretty good selection of all kinds of stuff like that.

LouieB

Lou we must have been at the same show, I also caught the flatlander late on saturday. Excellent set.

While I agree about their later records not being quite as good as the first one, I really enjoyed "Hills and Valleys", some excellent song writing on there. Particularly the opening three tracks.

I just watched "Lubbock Lights" a few a nights ago (its available to rent on amazon), if you like these guys the film is a must see. Really cool documentary about their home town.

As for those wondering about Butch's solo material, GRAB IT, his songwriting is lyrically dense and very rewarding. His last one "war and peace" has some great stuff on it. Not to mention the guy is one hell of artist, his pen drawings are unreal, he does these futuristic landscapes, very cool stuff.

Lou we must have been at the same show, I also caught the flatlander late on saturday. Excellent set.

While I agree about their later records not being quite as good as the first one, I really enjoyed "Hills and Valleys", some excellent song writing on there. Particularly the opening three tracks.

I just watched "Lubbock Lights" a few a nights ago (its available to rent on amazon), if you like these guys the film is a must see. Really cool documentary about their home town.

As for those wondering about Butch's solo material, GRAB IT, his songwriting is lyrically dense and very rewarding. His last one "war and peace" has some great stuff on it. Not to mention the guy is one hell of artist, his pen drawings are unreal, he does these futuristic landscapes, very cool stuff.

Very cool. It was a good set. Not sure I own Hills and Valleys. I guess I need to to pick it up.

It is a testiment to Butch that both Joe and Jimmie Dale both cover him extensively on their solo albums. I have to admit I was not so crazy about a couple of the songs he sang individually at the show. They were just short of being great. But his albums (the few I have heard) are really great and not so easy to find. He never got a major label contract or sold many, but they are all out there available none the less.

LouieB

Hills and Valleys is the most recent album they've put out. They did a few from it at the show (homeland refugee, borderless love, after the storm).

Old country records are really not hard to find. I stopped by Recycled Records in Springfield last week and their country section is quite large, tons of old LPs. They have whole sections of nearly all the artist discussed here and others that we have not such as Hank Snow, Hank Thompson, and all the other Hanks (Williams....). Even Laurie's here in Chicago has a pretty good selection of all kinds of stuff like that.

LouieB

I guess it depends on where you live and what is available.

That was my brother-in-law's favorite song. We played it at his funeral last year.

Sorry. I was kinda talking about how good that record was compared to some of his other stuff, but yeah. Sorry.