• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou we must have been at the same show, I also caught the flatlander late on saturday. Excellent set.

While I agree about their later records not being quite as good as the first one, I really enjoyed "Hills and Valleys", some excellent song writing on there. Particularly the opening three tracks.

I just watched "Lubbock Lights" a few a nights ago (its available to rent on amazon), if you like these guys the film is a must see. Really cool documentary about their home town.

As for those wondering about Butch's solo material, GRAB IT, his songwriting is lyrically dense and very rewarding. His last one "war and peace" has some great stuff on it. Not to mention the guy is one hell of artist, his pen drawings are unreal, he does these futuristic landscapes, very cool stuff.

I agree about Hills and Valleys. "After the Storm" was probably my favorite song when I saw them last Saturday in Dallas.

That's a great album. Very hard to find, hopefully it gets reissued some day.

The late great Star Room Boys are one of my all-time favorite honky-tonk bands. Their debut "Why Do Lonely Men and Women Want to Break Each Other's Hearts?" still causes me to dab my eyes from time to time.

Check out the samples: "Gastonia", "Why Do Lonely Men and Women...", "Liar in My Heart", "Both Our Towns", and "Almost Doesn't Count".

That's a great album. Very hard to find, hopefully it gets reissued some day.

Tweedling turned me on to him! Being from Dallas, I had to have it in my collection. That and the fact that the whole record is superb!! A real gem!!

The late great Star Room Boys are one of my all-time favorite honky-tonk bands. Their debut "Why Do Lonely Men and Women Want to Break Each Other's Hearts?" still causes me to dab my eyes from time to time.

Check out the samples: "Gastonia", "Why Do Lonely Men and Women...", "Liar in My Heart", "Both Our Towns", and "Almost Doesn't Count".

The Star Room Boys! Very nice. I'm also a big fan of:

51%2BYvLCBhgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Cocaine Parties" is a tremendous song.

Yea, I know....it sucks sometimes.

LouieB

I happened to be at Walmart last night, and noticed their CD aisles are now down to two. They did have plenty of country cds though. I seldom buy music these days, but I had planned on buying the recent Tom Petty re-master. They did not seem to have it.

Another word for Buck Owen. A-11 and Streets of Bakersfield are two of my favorite songs.

I happened to be at Walmart last night, and noticed their CD aisles are now down to two. They did have plenty of country cds though. I seldom buy music these days, but I had planned on buying the recent Tom Petty re-master. They did not seem to have it.

Another word for Buck Owen. A-11 and Streets of Bakersfield are two of my favorite songs.

This is why they invented the internet, or a result of the internet..

LouieB

A few weeks ago I found a crazy one off three LP comp at a resale shop for a few bucks. Has lots of funky country artists on it. It is one of those Columbia/Starday things from the late 60s. Played today in honor of Thanksgiving. Ain't America great?

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, let's keep this thread going. Another artist I forgot to mention is Ronee Blakley. I became a fan of hers aftering seeing her in the Altman film "Nashville." I think she only ever released 2 or 3 records, this one is definitely worth getting:

0000409904_350.jpg

Her follow up record "Welcome" has some great moments too.

• 1 month later...

For those interested in such things:

Sundazed Music Announces the Online Digital Debut of Buck Owens and His Buckaroos’ Historic Album Catalog!

The digital revolution catches up with the spirit of hardcore honky tonk on March 8, 2011. That’s when Sundazed Music will make the album catalogue of country music pioneer Buck Owens available for digital download, through iTunes and other online services. This digital catalog campaign marks the first time that the bulk of Owens’ seminal work will be available for download.

This beloved, massively influential body of music—encompassing over 25 original albums by Owens and his legendary band the Buckaroos, along with several more albums by Owens-associated acts—was originally released by the artist’s longtime label Capitol Records between 1961 and 1971, and was previously ushered into the CD era by Sundazed Music throughout the past two decades. Those widely acclaimed CD releases were instrumental in generating a renewed appreciation for Owens’ musical achievements, introducing him to a new generation of enthusiastic fans.

Sundazed’s new digital Owens campaign includes his vintage albums Buck Owens (1961), Buck Owens Sings Harlan Howard (1961), You’re for Me (1962), On the Bandstand (1963), Buck Owens Sings Tommy Collins (1963), Together Again (1964), I Don’t Care (1964), I’ve Got A Tiger By the Tail (1965), Before You Go (1965), The Instrumental Hits of Buck Owens and His Buckaroos (1965), Christmas with Buck Owens and His Buckaroos (1965), Roll Out the Red Carpet (1966), Dust on Mother’s Bible (1966), Carnegie Hall Concert (1966), Open Up Your Heart (1966), In Japan (1967), Your Tender Loving Care (1967), It Takes People Like You to Make People Like Me (1968), Christmas Shopping (1968), Live In London (1969), Live In Scandinavia (1970), Bridge Over Troubled Water (1971) and Ruby and Other Bluegrass Specials (1971).

In addition to those classic releases, Sundazed is also releasing Country Pickin’: The Don Rich Anthology, a compilation spotlighting the sublime instrumental and vocal talents of Owens’ longtime best friend and musical right-hand man; Best of the Buckaroos, which collects instrumental highlights from the band’s own spinoff albums; and The Best of Buddy Alan Owens, a featuring Buck’s talented son, who scored a series of country hits in the early 1970s.

“We’re thrilled to be carrying Buck Owens’ singular musical legacy forward into the digital age,” said Sundazed founder and renowned producer/engineer Bob Irwin, who mastered these albums for their digital release. “Buck’s music is already a cornerstone of the Sundazed catalogue, and we’re very excited to be introducing his timeless creative vision to new listeners in a new format.”

As one of country music’s genuine innovators, Buck Owens built a remarkable body of work that helped to redefine the genre, while expanding the music’s appeal far beyond traditional boundaries. At a time when the Nashville mainstream was offering lush middle-of-the-road country-pop, the Bakersfield, California-based singer/guitarist and his handpicked sidemen delivered a punchy, stripped-down sound that emphasized twangy electric guitars and a prominent, insistent beat. Combined with Owens’ personable vocals and infectious songwriting, the earthy, energetic sound proved massively popular with a wide array of listeners.

Owens scored an incredible 21 Number One hits, most of them self-written, on the Billboard country music charts. His work left an indelible mark on multiple generations of rock musicians, from his labelmates The Beatles (avowed Owens admirers who recorded his song “Act Naturally”) to country-rock iconoclast Gram Parsons. Buck also influenced Ray Charles, who covered several Owens tunes, as well as numerous tradition-savvy country stars, including Dwight Yoakam, who teamed with Buck on a duet of the Owens classic “Streets of Bakersfield,” which topped the country charts in 1988.

In addition to expanding country’s horizons with his willingness to experiment musically, Owens enthusiastically embraced his role as a musical ambassador. He and the Buckaroos performed frequently in venues and territories where country artists rarely ventured, recording live albums in London, Japan and Scandinavia, as well as in the rarefied environs of New York’s venerable Carnegie Hall. In 1968, Owens and the Buckaroos performed for President Lyndon Johnson at the White House. The following year, Owens also helped to introduce country music to the TV-viewing public with Hee Haw, which he hosted for the next 15 years.