The best album you missed this year

51ivGAhq1lL._SS500_.jpg

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

After being rather unimpressed with 2007's overly hyped Cryptograms I was hesitant to put this one on. I remember seeing Cryptograms on so many best of 2007 lists...I thought it was a complete bore. I also saw them live back in late 2005/early 2006 and they about made my ears bleed; I was actually embarrassed for them. But this album is great - easily in my top 10.

After being rather unimpressed with 2007's overly hyped Cryptograms I was hesitant to put this one on. I remember seeing Cryptograms on so many best of 2007 lists...I thought it was a complete bore. I also saw them live back in late 2005/early 2006 and they about made my ears bleed; I was actually embarrassed for them. But this album is great - easily in my top 10.

Agreed 100%. I've been wearing this album out the last few days. It's almost like Buddy Holly on Acid. Many of the songs could almost be pop rock songs, but the production and eerie tone/phrasing of the vocals give me a feeling that something isn't quite right... Definitely in my top 5 of 2010.

51ivGAhq1lL._SS500_.jpg

If Halycon Digest is the first Deerhunter you've bought since Crpytograms, you HAVE to check out the Microcastle/Weird Era double disc from 2008. It is amazing and definitely the highlight of Deerhunter's catalog so far. Was my #1 album of 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

51ivGAhq1lL._SS500_.jpg

everything you said above is how i feel about halcyon digest. everyone keeps telling me they're a good band, but i don't hear it.