Definitely has potential.

they were smart to not do a reunion for so long. i'm sure they don't want to fall into the traps many of their peers did. will miss ben on this album though. i got to see him in a band at music midtown once with some guys from 38 special. he did all his cars songs and i got a few choice .38 special songs too.

I always get the feeling they have been forgotten when groundbreaking bands are mentioned. I still think the first album was the best. I had it on 8-track. Elliot Easton has been playing with Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

There was also this:

The New Cars was a band formed in 2005 with just two of the original members of the 1970s/1980s new wave band The Cars. The band was composed of Todd Rundgren, drummer Prairie Prince, Kasim Sulton, and original Cars members Greg Hawkes and Elliot Easton. The band performed The Cars' classic songs, Rundgren's solo work, and some new material.

I definitely agree.

I'm more excited about this than I probably should be.

I wonder if Ric got motivated by seeing those guys playing Cars songs with Todd Rundgren. One thing I think is weirder than these old bands getting sound alike front men and carrying on - getting someone totally outside the band's sound to be the new lead singer. Although, I suppose Todd fronting The Cars is not as weird as Bruce Kulick leading Grand Funk Railroad.

I have not listened to The Cars in a long time. I don't think I am interested in any new stuff from them, really.

I always get the feeling they have been forgotten when groundbreaking bands are mentioned. I still think the first album was the best.

absolutely!

The guitarwork and vocals on their debut are exceptional. Think I'll spin that vinyl today...

I love Elliot Easton's guitar playing. This sounds like it could be really good. Hopefully the rest of the stuff is along the same lines. I have no problem with the Cars sounding like the Cars.

• 1 year later...

Having a sort of cars revival around my house. Just recently obtained the MoFi vinyl releases of The Cars, Candy-o, and Shake it Up. I've loved this band since I was a kid in the late seventies but have never really focused on their catalog as an adult. It's great listening to all the deep cuts with fresh ears. Awesome material. I'm liking the Panorama album the most. The new one is pretty damn good as well.

Yeah, too bad they didn't do a reunion before Benjamin Orr died. One of the great things about the Cars was having alternating lead vocals from Ric and Benjamin aka the ugly and the pretty. I LOVE that first album so much. When I was a kid we went on a week-long road trip to Lake Havasu in AZ from Southern California. This was 1978. We had a cassette player in the old VW van we rode in and we had just three tapes that were the only things we listened to for the entire trip: Van Halen I, Cheap Trick Live At Budokan and The Cars first. Those records are indelibly etched in my soul.