Guitar players - strings?

I try to keep it relatively inexpensive, but I still like to sound good. For my acoustic I find that these give me a nice, balanced tone for a pretty good price:

514Lcg3mIsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(I use 12's.)

As to my electric, I go with a classic: Ernie Ball 10's:

ernieball_strings.jpg

Is there anything that I NEED to try? Same price? Why would I need to/want to spend more?

What do you use?

Lately I have been using these on my electrics just because I got a really good deal on them.

x01_145800.jpg

I was using the Ernie Ball for awhile but it seemed like they kept breaking on me, I do tend to play pretty hard. I may go back to Ernie Ball though. I like the John Pearse for acoustics, usually those or the Martin strings is what I get.

These are some of the strings you'll find at my place at the moment:

Electric:

d-addario-xl110-10-46-jeu-de-cordes-pour-guitare-electrique.jpg .. DEAN-MARKLEY-2505B.jpg .. P_6595_S00.jpg

Acoustic:

DAddario-EJ16-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings_51FqgeHQATL._300_300.jpg .. p29391h-664cb19a4d595c53d093f60cad92c4d0.jpg

I've gone through stages of using Dean Markley, Ernie Ball, D'Addario...

I have tried crap loads of strings and I always come back to D'Addario EXP17 Coated Acoustic Guitar Strings, Medium. Great combination of sound, feel and longevity.

I freakin love mediums. Cant stand lights.

51k0eQ9-ImL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As to my electric, I go with a classic: Ernie Ball 10's:

ernieball_strings.jpg

I use these as well... Mostly because I can get the best deal on them from Musicians Friend.. lol.. I change strings probably once a week, so I have to look for the deals... I'm not too picky with strings, as long as they are not Musicians Friend brand.

As far as acoustic, again I just look for the best deal. I usually end up with Martins but I probably only change them once every few months.. Don't play acoustic that often.

Why have people chosen the gauge they do? Seems like most people are using lights for their acoustic. I don't have many options right now (I have a bunch of medium extended play D'Addarios - same ones as anthony), but I didn't choose the gauge for any reason.

Why have people chosen the gauge they do? Seems like most people are using lights for their acoustic. I don't have many options right now (I have a bunch of medium extended play D'Addarios - same ones as anthony), but I didn't choose the gauge for any reason.

For me, it just feels right.

Although, I will admit that heavier-gauge strings do sound better.

I played a Strat at my local shop that was outfitted with 0.13's!!! And, pumping it through, even a smaller amp, it still had that HUGE SRV tone. Couldn't do much bending, but for the aping Hendrix rhythm/lead thing that he did, it sounded pretty damn sweet.

Nonetheless. I stick with 0.10's.

I usually just use a somewhat medium guage. The light stuff just feels so brittle and I seemed to break them so much quicker, at least on the electric. Everybody talks about SRV using 0.13's but he switched to lighter guauges later on (as low as 0.10's I think) as his fingers would just get worked on long tours. He still seemed to be able to get that big fat tone without them. I find that 10's or 11's give me the tone I want without too much fight and less breakage. Acoustic I just try to keep the same gauge so the tension on the neck is about the same. I don't play too much acoustic so have not experimented with different sizes.

For me, it just feels right.

Although, I will admit that heavier-gauge strings do sound better.

I played a Strat at my local shop that was outfitted with 0.13's!!! And, pumping it through, even a smaller amp, it still had that HUGE SRV tone. Couldn't do much bending, but for the aping Hendrix rhythm/lead thing that he did, it sounded pretty damn sweet.

Nonetheless. I stick with 0.10's.

Agreed, the heavier the gauge the better they sound. For acoustic guitars, the heavier gauge doesn't matter that much since you aren't bending strings, but of course on electrics, heavy gauges strings are a bitch to bend and can tear up your fingers real fast. Unless you play every day and have some hard core calluses on your fingers, it's best to stick to 10's. Anything lighter than 10's and your sound will be very twangy (unless you are going for that).

I once did a mini-tour with my band and was playing 2+ hour shows a night... By the 6th day I had some crazy calluses and was able to bend 11's with ease... So if you can handle the heavy gauge, it's a no brainier to use them. They sound awesome.. :rock

I use the Ernie Ball .11s on all me electrics. At first bending wasn't the easiest, but now that i've got used to it, .09s or .10s feel like toys. I bend a lot.

I used to use lighter guage and also used to break a string a gig on average. since switching to the heavier gauge I haven't broken a single one but still take a second guitar to the gig out of habit mostly.

By the way today is NEW GEAR DAY! I caved in and bought a MIM Nashville Tele. It's at the shop now being restrung and set up for said .11s. Can't wait for tomorrow.

I love mediums for tone and feel. I only play acoustic, so bending is not a priority. I also play bare-flesh, so I like the volume I get from mediums (need all the help I can get). Also, since I play bare-flesh 'pinch' style, I tend to 'snap' lighter strings, if you know what I mean.

My main electric is a 1961 guild t50 arch top, and I use .11s with a wound G, usually dean Markley or d'adarrios

My acoustics are a 1964 guild m20 and a Martin SWOMGT, both strung with custom lights (heavy bottom .11s)

My fender jazz bass always has flatwounds

I play six string banjo with silk and steels

the gauge on acoustics and electrics is relative to playing style and tone...I kind of disagree with lamrods assertion that on acoustics it doesn't matter much....for example, I bend the hell out of string on my acoustics. Also, gauge and tension are hugely important on smaller bodied acoustics, like mine, or like tweedy's, for example...any prolonged period strung with .13s and you could have some real structural issues.

Heavy gauge strings wear frets and bridgeplates down faster, as well...just sayin'.

FWIW. I never met a coated string I could stand...that said, I'm always willing to try a new recommendation.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I strongly prefer "bluegrass gauge" strings when I can get them for my acoustics. I seldom strum the top strings (will strum middle or bass sets) so I like how they ring out (sharper with less sustain) when I reach for them with the lighter gauge up there. Also I like having more sustain on the lower strings, especially the E and D strings end up having to hold down roots while I noodle around sometimes.

I DO think that different body types / tonewoods / whatever do sound better with different string-types though. So for me I have owned some cheaper guitars that sounded like total garbage with lights, but OK with medium and above. (Thinking of the cheapo Fender I learned on here.)

I have never known anybody who played with heavy gauge acoustic strings. I think I'm probably too weak to do that myself, plus I feel like some heavy-metal guy I knew really liked them which made me dislike them.

My electric strings are almost always just matched to my guitars, so for example I use a wound G with my guitars that use humbuckers. When I had a strat I liked the more-standard unwound G instead. I used flats for awhile on my Gretsch a couple years ago, but switched when I adopted a more rockabilly sound.

• 4 weeks later...