I finally reached that point!

Where my ipod is filled to capacity (80gb)..I got the message last night. I started to panic! I had to delete some tracks to make the latest aquisition fit. What do I do from this point? Do I buy a larger one? If I buy it will i be able to transfer all my old songs...I don't think I have all my files saved on my backup drive! Yikes?! Anyone else in the same boat! :pirate

Where my ipod is filled to capacity (80gb)..I got the message last night. I started to panic! I had to delete some tracks to make the latest aquisition fit. What do I do from this point? Do I buy a larger one? If I buy it will i be able to transfer all my old songs...I don't think I have all my files saved on my backup drive! Yikes?! Anyone else in the same boat! :pirate

I went to the iPod Touch when it first came out, which is only 16 GB. I exceeded that limit a long time ago, since I'm hovering around a total of 120 GB in my music library.

It doesn't take too long to get used to not having your entire library at your fingertips. In fact, it's kind of liberating. Get creative with playlists and you might find it to be easier to music to listen to, instead of being overwhelmed by having everything on there (at least, that's how I felt). It just takes a little more time and work to sync your iPod and pick and choose what to load on to it.

And I back up my entire computer on an external drive.

I only keep a few albums on my MP3 player at one time. I set myself this rule of thumb a while ago when I kept running of space... I'm sure you can keep more than a few, but if you haven't listened to something a few weeks or so, back it up to your computer.

And I'll second bleedorange's suggestion on backing up your entire drive onto an external drive... Any file that you can't afford to lose should always be on two different drives in case one of them fails... It's not a matter of if a hard drive will fail, it's when...

I went to the iPod Touch when it first came out, which is only 16 GB. I exceeded that limit a long time ago, since I'm hovering around a total of 120 GB in my music library.

It doesn't take too long to get used to not having your entire library at your fingertips. In fact, it's kind of liberating. Get creative with playlists and you might find it to be easier to music to listen to, instead of being overwhelmed by having everything on there (at least, that's how I felt). It just takes a little more time and work to sync your iPod and pick and choose what to load on to it.

And I back up my entire computer on an external drive.

Yeah I hear ya..I may clean house, I may upgrade..not sure what I will do yet! I put my ipod on random and I do tend to skip 10% of the stuff that comes up...The only reason I am hesitant is I listen to music 8-10 hours a day...I leave it on at my desk (as I need to drown out the lite-fm station!!! UGGGH!!!) and when I commute. I actually do go through most of the music on my ipod at one point or another...

That happened to me with my 30gb, and I bought an 80gb on craigslist for about $110. That one is now only about 2/3 full and I love that I'm not stressed about being close to capacity all the time.

So, while some might make the perfectly sane suggestion that you just uncheck some of the music in your iTunes library so that not every thing syncs up to your ipod, I'd say just bite the bullet and get a 160gb. You can probably find something on craigslist for less than $200. There are lots of them on the secondary market, many brand new. (I sold my 30gb, still with all the music on it, to a friend for about $50, and he was thrilled to get it since we have similar taste in music. Of course, he can't sync up to iTunes or it'll wipe out everything on that device--I think--but that's fine with him since he's a luddite!)

Assuming you use iTunes, you should have no problems synching up. In my case, when I opened iTunes it automatically detected the new device and copied over everything that was in my existing library. I think there might have been a couple of small hiccups but nothing I couldn't figure out quickly.

I'm terrible about backing things up but I did buy an external hard drive and I do force myself to back up about once a month or so.

I suppose it depends how you use it. I'm living quite happily with 8 gigs. Podcasts go on and I delete them after I listen to them. I keep 8 - 12 albums worth of music on it and change it up every so often. On the other hand, the "surprise" shuffle factor with a 160G device must be pretty great.

I have never really needed much space. I just let it randomly load songs from my library and let it random play, that's my favorite part is the surprise factor. Once the battery runs low I plug it in and let it randomly load again while it's charging. So I am pretty happy with the 8 gigs or whatever it has.

On another note, I really wish someone would come out with a player that supports MP3, FLAC, APE, MP4, etc...all at the same time!

Wow, I will sound like a madman to many of you. I have about 230gb of stuff in my iTunes, with 100gb of material on my 120gb iPod. I also have about 300-400 folders of stuff to get to, mainly live shows or other downloads. I usually end up putting them into my iTunes, listening to them once, and then unchecking them in iTunes so they're no longer on my iPod!

With this amount of material, the shuffle feature is crazy, because I often have no idea what I'm listening to. I hardly ever use that feature, though. I just put all this new stuff into a constantly-changing folder called New to Library.

Am I OCD?

Wow, I will sound like a madman to many of you. I have about 230gb of stuff in my iTunes, with 100gb of material on my 120gb iPod. I also have about 300-400 folders of stuff to get to, mainly live shows or other downloads. I usually end up putting them into my iTunes, listening to them once, and then unchecking them in iTunes so they're no longer on my iPod!

With this amount of material, the shuffle feature is crazy, because I often have no idea what I'm listening to. I hardly ever use that feature, though. I just put all this new stuff into a constantly-changing folder called New to Library.

Am I OCD?

That's roughly how I do it. Some material is permanently on my ipod, some is podcasts, the rest are the 'newly added' and 'purchased' playlists. I only have a 32gb ipod with 500gb of tunes on a hard drive but I don't really feel the need to upgrade. Yet.

Actually this reminds me of the nightmare situation I had when I first got itunes.

itunes- 'do you want itunes to organize your library?'

Me- 'that sounds good i've got files strewn all over this computer and duplicates of this and that so yeah ok'

15 minutes later I have a folder called unknown artist containing a folder called unknown album containing my entire library, which has been renamed names such as 01 I Must Be, 01 Misunderst, 01 Sunken Trea, 01 At Least T...

Me-'I can't be around you right now itunes'