Things I love about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

The Buddhist-esque lines in War on War. It's parts of the Tibetan book of the dead and other Buddhist texts alive in song!

"You could be my demon moving forward through the flaming doors"

"You have to learn how to die if you want to want to be alive."

Poor Places, where the music...I don't know the musical term...shifts for lack of a good word?, right before the lyrics "Someone ties a bow" then right after "smoking and I want love."

The Buddhist-esque lines in War on War. It's parts of the Tibetan book of the dead and other Buddhist texts alive in song!

You have to learn how to die if you want to want to be alive.

I always thought that was from Tuesdays with Morrie

http://www.pinkmonkey.com/booknotes/monkeynotes/pmTuesdaysWithMorrie16.asp

Only seen the film myself - bit of a tear jerker :-)

... Oh, and apart from lots of the obvious, I love the fact that it had an engineer who could not be trusted with the demo tapes ;-)

What I love about YHF is that while, almost every song on the album can be enjoyed individually, the album demands to be listened to in it's entirety.

When you take the time to sit down and listen to the entire album, you come away from it feeling like, Wow, I really experienced something, like you had been to a concert.

I grew up with albums that were better listened to as a complete piece: Thick As A Brick, Dark Side Of The Moon, Brain Salad Surgery,etc.

In 2001 it became so easy just to go onto Napster (or whatever) and download a single song, forget about the rest of the album, it's just filler, it sucks.

So when YHF came out, it was like, yeah you can just listen to the songs you want, but if you listen to the whole album you're gonna come away with a more enjoyable experience than if you just listened to the songs you liked the most on the album.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well..

What I love about YHF is that while, almost every song on the album can be enjoyed individually, the album demands to be listened to in it's entirety.

When you take the time to sit down and listen to the entire album, you come away from it feeling like, Wow, I really experienced something, like you had been to a concert.

I grew up with albums that were better listened to as a complete piece: Thick As A Brick, Dark Side Of The Moon, Brain Salad Surgery,etc.

In 2001 it became so easy just to go onto Napster (or whatever) and download a single song, forget about the rest of the album, it's just filler, it sucks.

So when YHF came out, it was like, yeah you can just listen to the songs you want, but if you listen to the whole album you're gonna come away with a more enjoyable experience than if you just listened to the songs you liked the most on the album.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well..

Agree. I remember the first time Iistened to it star tto finish and how I felt sad it was over, that I would never hear it again for the first time. That is the mark of a great album.

When you take the time to sit down and listen to the entire album, you come away from it feeling like, Wow, I really experienced something,

agree.

love this album of course.

one time i had it on and my 3-year-old said "this is scary" during a noisey/weird part. then later on he said "it's getting scary again." great stuff.

YHF is one of only 2 albums I can distinctively remember listening to for the first time. My mom brought home an issue of Rolling Stone and I remember reading this article about the album and liked how it described IATTBYH. Needless to say, I downloaded* the album 30 seconds later and still remember those opening notes making their way out of my cheap Dell speakers :twitchsmile Man, that was almost 10 years ago. Crazy how time flies when you're a Wilco fan!

*- Despite downloading YHF, I have purchased every other album at least twice to make up for this.

i had heard/read a little "critical hype" about it and actually sat in one of those listening booths in a record store (remember those? not the booths, the record stores) and i listened to most of it and bought it right away.

agree.

love this album of course.

one time i had it on and my 3-year-old said "this is scary" during a noisey/weird part. then later on he said "it's getting scary again." great stuff.

LOL...my 21 year old daughter (Magic Kristen) still gets creeped out by the beginning of IATTBYH. She usually doesn't make it to Ashes or Poor Places, so I can only assume the noisy stuff in those two would also freak her out. Her aversion with Wilco started with Candyfloss...the faded in, creepy keyboard entry really freaked out the 9-year old version of her.

Odd...because she loves Radiohead's Everything in its Right Place.

LOL...my 21 year old daughter (Magic Kristen) still gets creeped out by the beginning of IATTBYH. She usually doesn't make it to Ashes or Poor Places, so I can only assume the noisy stuff in those two would also freak her out. Her aversion with Wilco started with Candyfloss...the faded in, creepy keyboard entry really freaked out the 9-year old version of her.

Odd...because she loves Radiohead's Everything in its Right Place.

I love that about "Candyfloss," particularly because Wilco never performed it that way live -- they always just launched straight into the first verse...

YHF is my favorite album of all-time. Probably always will be. Listened to it yesterday. Everything about it is perfect to my ears. The transition from Pot Kettle Black to Poor Places really stood out to me yesterday. A legendary opening song and a perfect closer. And, since they play it at every show, you forget what a great song I'm the Man Who Loves You is on the album.

YHF is my favorite album of all-time. Probably always will be. Listened to it yesterday. Everything about it is perfect to my ears. The transition from Pot Kettle Black to Poor Places really stood out to me yesterday. A legendary opening song and a perfect closer. And, since they play it at every show, you forget what a great song I'm the Man Who Loves You is on the album.

I prefer the album version.

The opening bass line with slowly building guitar intro to Radio Cure. I never really appreciated this song until I had it turned way up on a great surround system.

Its hard to describe why and how good the first 20 secs or so (before the vocals) are.