Wilco - 10/2/11 Ryman Auditorium

Hello, again, everyone. Here's the setlist I took. Let me know if I goofed anything. Stuff in quotes are memorable banter.

Less than you think

Art of almost

I might

Black moon

Ashes of American flags

I am trying to break your heart

Pot kettle black

Born alone

Side with the seeds

One Sunday morning

I'll fight

"Were you here last night? The two shows combined..."

"Merlin's wand! Noah's hammer!"

Impossible Germany (w/ Nels playing Duane Allman's guitar)*

"Last night...you were fucking insane!"

Open mind (first time live)

--distracting security guards--

Handshake drugs

Dawned on me

Shot in the arm

Hummingbird

-------------

Whole love

36 inches (with Nick Lowe)

I love my label (with Nick Lowe)

California stars

Late greats

"We're not going anywhere!"

Heavy metal drummer

Red eyed and blue

I got you (at the end of the century)

* = I would go to tremendous lengths to listen again to Nels solo during Impossible Germany. One of the best solos I've seen maybe ever. Flawless.

I thought tonight's show was perhaps one of the top 3 I've ever seen Wilco put together. The crowd was full of energy, the band looked like they were having a blast, the venue sounded so damn good. A really special night.

Dwight Almond = Duane Allman - though that is pretty funny. If you don't know who that is and just guessed - not bad, AND if you are a fan of insane guitar solos, get thee to a record shop and getcha some Allman Bros records.

Just back from the show and still blown away! The best Impossible Germany I have ever heard - Nels was on a different plane and the rest of the band was in awe during that solo/song. I think Dawned On Me is going to be a rocker for years to come. What a weekend!

Let's, uh, chalk it up to autocorrect and move on from this slight embarrassment of mine...

Also, did they only make like two dozen of the posters? Both nights, the person right in front of me bought the last one. I get that sometimes these things become collectables (see also: solid sound posters made on site) but the competition is a bit irksome when all I want to do is get a poster and watch Wilco bring the house down.

wilco brought the house down...my first ryman show - fantastic. I was in section 1 row H - great view. The band was all smiles and energetic - seemed to be having more fun than i was if that's possible...Pot kettle black / side with seeds / new songs / etc - very impressed...can't wait for madison this next wednesday....(and milwaukee in december) (how'd the brewers do this weekend since i've been in nashville?)...

- not sure there is much to add. An incredible set tonight, and as Jeff said, "if you didn't get to both shows, you only saw half". Stood in the balcony tonight. Stayed after outside and talked to each member on their way out (except Jeff, who we learned later left immediately to the bus). Nels told a story as he was signing that the Duane Les Paul was borrowed from the Allman bro museum in Macon, and that it was extra special for the museum for it to return to Nashville, where Duane was born, and ?where he (duane) proposed to his wife on the stage of the Ryman, hiding the ring in the catch where the slide was held? (that's what Nels said). He also said he was scared to play it, incredibly honored, and brought to tears when he first played it in ATL (where I had seen them Wed). We chatted about the Allmans, told him we were also big Allman fans having seen them many times, and he said that their first two albums were life changing. We agreed.

An incredible set of bookends, with Autumn Defense Friday night at the Family Wash and the chats with the band outside the Ryman tonight between 2 surreal shows. And a signed set of posters to boot. Can't wait for Austin City Limits.

Looking for pics from either show, and any of the band signing outside on Sunday night.

thought tonight's show was perhaps one of the top 3 I've ever seen Wilco put together. The crowd was full of energy, the band looked like they were having a blast, the venue sounded so damn good. A really special night.

totally my feelings as well. plus...i had never seen less than you think live in all my live shows (and to open, no less...)

great show.

It’s always great to see Wilco on back to back nights in the same market and the 2nd night @ the Ryman was no exception. Opened with Less Than You Think > AOA !!!!

the Merlin's wand, Noah's hammer comments were in reference to the introduction of Nels playing Duane Allman's guitar. I believe it was played on Impossible Germany, Handshake Drugs and Heavy Metal Drummer. Each time Nels was done playing the sweet gold Les Paul, Matrix brought in back / side stage to rest instead of on Nels guitar stand

the "are you done checking ID's" distracting security guards comments were in reference to the security guards constantly going down front to check ticket stubs and move people out of the first few rows for those that had snuck their way up close

Jeff also introduced Nels double neck guitar before Open Mind as Liberace’s Guitar

Jeff said they want Nick Lowe to join Wilco, they could call themselves Nick Lo, ha

All in all two awesome nights with the Jesus of cool.

For those keeping track, ITMTLY was on the printed set list as the final song of the night but not played and they also eliminated You Never Know from the encore.

Also, Jeff's discussion on Saturday night's show was hilarious. The smell of vomit, a woman in the front row passed out with her chin on the stage, people slung over the balcony. Both Jeff and Lowe commented on how uniquely crazy the crowds were; a performer's dream.

Let's, uh, chalk it up to autocorrect and move on from this slight embarrassment of mine...

Also, did they only make like two dozen of the posters? Both nights, the person right in front of me bought the last one. I get that sometimes these things become collectables (see also: solid sound posters made on site) but the competition is a bit irksome when all I want to do is get a poster and watch Wilco bring the house down.

Friendly tip on the posters selling out:

If you know the poster artist (Wilco's facebook page tends to say who designed them), keep an eye on their personal site. The artist almost always gets a few posters to sell on his own, and they'll usually be the same price as the shows, plus shipping.

Wilco sometimes adds them to their online store, but not always. Check just in case, and if not, find the artist.

Friendly tip on the posters selling out:

If you know the poster artist (Wilco's facebook page tends to say who designed them), keep an eye on their personal site. The artist almost always gets a few posters to sell on his own, and they'll usually be the same price as the shows, plus shipping.

Wilco sometimes adds them to their online store, but not always. Check just in case, and if not, find the artist.

...these were Hatch show posters. I believe the shop told a few people that visited Saturday to get to the show early as the ones for sale at the show were the only was that would be available.

...these were Hatch show posters. I believe the shop told a few people that visited Saturday to get to the show early as the ones for sale at the show were the only was that would be available.

True. These sold out both nights within like 30 minutes of doors opening.

It's also enormously frustrating to see a bunch of drunk people at the end of the show with one of the posters in hand, crinkled, bent, beer stained, and generally destroyed or otherwise fucked up. But hey, that's me.

Nels also used the D. Allman Les Paul on Ashes. Hopefully a tape surfaces...I thought his solo throughout Ashes was very referential (and reverential) to the sounds of its former owner.

I thought Ryman #2 was the better of the shows, particularly the setlist surprises. LTYT...never would have guessed that was the opener.

I was lucky enough to pick up a poster for night #2. Very hopeful someone out there is interested in trading for a night #1 poster (or, against all hopes the 2006 Wilco-Ryman-Hatch print). PM me if you've got one to trade. Thanks.

Nels also used the D. Allman Les Paul on Ashes. Hopefully a tape surfaces...I thought his solo throughout Ashes was very referential (and reverential) to the sounds of its former owner.

I thought Ryman #2 was the better of the shows, particularly the setlist surprises. LTYT...never would have guessed that was the opener.

I was lucky enough to pick up a poster for night #2. Very hopeful someone out there is interested in trading for a night #1 poster (or, against all hopes the 2006 Wilco-Ryman-Hatch print). PM me if you've got one to trade. Thanks.

Both nights were recorded, and they should show up on Dime within the next couple of weeks.

Let me know if you get more than one offer for the poster trade: I'm in the exact same boat (extra of night 2, need night 1), and was just about to start a thread about it.

got back to Birmingham at 3am... still a bit foggy, but what a damn show. Less Than You Think caught everyone off guard and the 3-4 minutes of 'noise' into AOA was a great way to start the show. I Might, Dawned on Me, and Born Alone sounded terrific.As mentioned the IG solo was wonderful and I thought Handshake Drugs and Ashes sounded as fresh as ever. Side with the Seeds never disappoints. The place was going nuts during Shot in the Arm and Hummingbird...

Whole Love! My favorite track off the new record and it sounded great last night.

Crazy finale tearing thru Red Eyed and Blue/ I Got You.... all smiles.

Both nights were recorded, and they should show up on Dime within the next couple of weeks.

Great news! I didn't see any rigs and was concerned. BTW, great meeting you! Hope to see you again soon.

Great news! I didn't see any rigs and was concerned. BTW, great meeting you! Hope to see you again soon.

Great meeting you, too! I guess the Ryman has a no-taping policy, so the guy was running a stealth rig. He said his Saturday recording sounds ok, but there were a lot of chatty people around him. He was a few seats down from me last night, and of course the levels were way off (lots of Pat's guitar, little of Pat's keys, little of Nels, and vocals were low). Regardless, it'll be nice to have them for the Less Than You Think > Art of Almost masterpiece. I hope his mics didn't pick up me shushing some idiot during One Sunday Morning...

I hope his mics didn't pick up me shushing some idiot during One Sunday Morning...

yea, I was unlucky enough to have talking idiots for OSM both nights, got em quiet pretty quick though...hope I don't pretty much suck at life for giving them the "be quiet evil eye"

yea, I was unlucky enough to have talking idiots for OSM both nights, got em quiet pretty quick though...hope I don't pretty much suck at life for giving them the "be quiet evil eye"

The evil eye didn't work this time for me. Eventually someone else asked her to be quiet, and her boyfriend responded with, "Seriously? Seriously?" I learned over, gave him my nastiest look, and said, "Seriously. Please." A few people around us clapped for it. :)

I just don't get it. If you came to listen to the music, then STFU and listen. If you want to socialize and carry on a conversation, then go out to the lobby, or give your tickets to someone who will appreciate the show.

I guess the Ryman has a no-taping policy, so the guy was running a stealth rig.

Prohibited items were a hoot--my attempt to bring in a poster tube was rejected. Apparently at some previous show(s), patrons had taken to beating each other with their cardboard tubes. I also saw someone turned away who tried to enter with...a book. To their credit, staff couldn't have been nicer about it.

forgot to mention...i ran into pat at crema coffee sunday morning. he and "the mustachioed one" pulled up in a cab. i told him that i enjoyed the show last night, looking forward to tonight's (sunday's at that point), and he responded with a thumbs up. i didn't pester them past that...although it would have been cool to have him sign my copy of the whole love i had sitting in the car.