Wilco - 10/2/11 Ryman Auditorium

Two great shows. Nick Lowe was tremendous.Wilco threw curveball opening songs for both nights to start. Diverse,fluid setlests. Band looked to really be enjoying themselves, especially when Nick Lowe took the stage for the encores. Nels's new guitar sounded amazing. Wonderful venue. The poster situation really did suck though. They should have put a limit for individuals. Saturday I got shut out. Got there early. Was 3 people away from the merch booth and some guy bought the last 3. I would estimate at least half the people buying posters were buying more than one judging from my time in line. Some asshole already has one on Ebay for $177 with 2 days left on the auction! Got there earlier Sunday and did get one but alot of people didn't and I got multiple offers for the one I bought. Knowing how elusive these Hatch prints are they could have limited sales per person considering they print so few. At the going rate it looks like Saturday will be the lone unrepresented show on the Wilco poster wall.

I was thrilled that they opened with Less Than You Think last night! I want to say the last time I saw that played was the residency? I'm not positive, but it's been a long time. I also enjoyed the extra YHF songs, with Ashes and Pot Kettle Black. The new tunes continue to sound awesome. It would have been fun to hear You Never Know, which was on the printed setlist - a double double-neck guitar night for Nels! - but I can't complain about the length of either show. I did note that Jeff announced it was the second-to-last show of the tour. I hope not, or I know a lot of people in Madison who'll be upset! ;)

I had a great weekend in Nashville, and hope to make it back soon. I vow to actually do something with the posters I bought. I do. I agree that it would have been a good idea to limit the number each person could buy, although I heard that they might be able to get more printed and made available online. I'd hold off on paying an ebay fortune for a little while, at least.

Man that was fun! Pot Kettle Black and I Love My Label were absolute rawkers. Great crowd in my vicinity (again). I thought that opening with Less Than You Think was inspired. I would have loved to have heard a full length drone. I was just starting to pick out the gorgeous little bits from Glenn and maybe Mikael when it wandered into Almost. The setlist was great both nights... I'd hate to pick one over the other.

Only one negative... I still think that the lights and fog are overdone for a Wilco show. It's just not necessary when the music is so far over and above anything else out there.

I loved night 2! We went on a whim, and a tip from Jason about there being extra production tickets, and got row K! It was excellent.

We sat outside the Ryman pretty much all afternoon, and talked to a lot of nice people. Made friends with a security guard, and a really nice couple from CT.

"Less Than You Think" opener was awesome. Never seen that song done live, and it went into "AOA" perfectly.

Got to talk to Nick Lowe for a second too. He was super nice. I want to get everything he's ever recorded now. Jesus of cool is right.

Yeah, the shows were great, and night #2 probably the better one by just a bit. Jeff was certainly in a more funny chatty mood. Seeing and hearing Nels play Duane Allman's Les Paul was very cool.

Outside of the show, the scalping scene was outrageous. The scalpers had so many tickets, like a dozen each and there were easily half a dozen scalpers there each night. Fans with extras had a very difficult time getting rid of tickets, I don't think anybody got face value. Thanks to the "fan" who arranged days ahead of time to purchase my extras and then blew me off at the last minute without even a phone call, I ended up eating $90 in tickets. There's no way I'd sell my extras to the scalper scum. There weren't hardly any fans looking for tickets. How many people from out of town didn't get to see this show because it sold out in minutes, so they gave up and they don't even realize they could've gotten in for less than face value if they had made the trek to the show. And its all the fault of the scalpers, curses on their souls, may their karma bite them in the ass immediately, greedy bastards.

Yeah, the shows were great, and night #2 probably the better one by just a bit. Jeff was certainly in a more funny chatty mood. Seeing and hearing Nels play Duane Allman's Les Paul was very cool.

Outside of the show, the scalping scene was outrageous. The scalpers had so many tickets, like a dozen each and there were easily half a dozen scalpers there each night. Fans with extras had a very difficult time getting rid of tickets, I don't think anybody got face value. Thanks to the "fan" who arranged days ahead of time to purchase my extras and then blew me off at the last minute without even a phone call, I ended up eating $90 in tickets. There's no way I'd sell my extras to the scalper scum. There weren't hardly any fans looking for tickets. How many people from out of town didn't get to see this show because it sold out in minutes, so they gave up and they don't even realize they could've gotten in for less than face value if they had made the trek to the show. And its all the fault of the scalpers, curses on their souls, may their karma bite them in the ass immediately, greedy bastards.

I had to almost get physical with a scalper on night 1. he was obviously drunk and put his hands on me and tried to get in front of me in line. i told him back the fuck off, and he did. the asshole bought 4 standing room tickets for like $180 from the box office. i hope they all got stuck with those tickets.

night 2 my fiancé and i waited outside the ryman for most of the day because we'd heard they were releasing extras and managed to get row k from the box office for about $20 less than we paid through ticket master.

i wish that wilco would go completely paperless so scalpers would not be an issue anymore.

Yeah, and the bummer for locals on this was - usually you get great tickets for the Ryman if you physically go to the box office. They usually have a lottery, but it's fair - you get a ticket, they pull out of a hat, etc.

This sale was online only which gives the scalpers a huge advantage. Sucks.

• 11 years later...
On 10/3/2011 at 12:14 AM, yohansen5b said:

Also, did they only make like two dozen of the posters? Both nights, the person right in front of me bought the last one. I get that sometimes these things become collectables (see also: solid sound posters made on site) but the competition is a bit irksome when all I want to do is get a poster and watch Wilco bring the house down.

over a decade later and I'm still looking for one of those Hatch Show Prints for my collection.  That was a great pair of shows and I had just moved to Nashville.  An epic failure to not get there early for the show poster... anybody know where I can buy one??

Ryman-100111-Small.jpg