Does anyone remember this show?

So my friend who is a diehard Wilco fan like me was talking about a Wilco show in Memphis (I think) in 2004 or 5 where Jeff Tweedy was apparently so stoned he said things like "I'm so high I don't know where the f-ck we are." And then he started talking in a british accent.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

According to Wilcobase, Wilco played Memphis in 2003 and 2005. IF there's any validity to this at all, my guess is that it would've been in the 2003 show -- but most definitely not in the 2005 show. I'm pretty sure he was clean and sober by then. Either way, I don't believe what your friend suggested happened at all. The diehards around here would definitely know about it and chime in.

Hey, go easy on Real Rival.

There's a slight chance that Jeff did in fact say this, but was kidding around like he does at most shows. Not all of his banter has been recorded in words here on After The Show. Or in other words, I wouldn't place too much focus on Jeff being stoned but rather thinking OK I can picture him saying that he was and then speaking in a British accent.

There's a slight chance that Jeff did in fact say this, but was kidding around like he does at most shows. Not all of his banter has been recorded in words here on After The Show. Or in other words, I wouldn't place too much focus on Jeff being stoned but rather thinking OK I can picture him saying that he was and then speaking in a British accent.

I can see that happening - The 2.12.05 show is up on the Owl site. I guess one can download it an listen to it.

http://wilcoarchive.com/wilco%2020050212/

Your post inspires 3 questions:

1 - Were you high as you posted this?

2 - Or was your "friend" the one ripped out of his mind at a Wilco show?

3 - Don't you think there would have been slightly more publicity if this ever happened?

Your post prompted one question:

Why are you asking me these questions?

I posted because I didn't believe my friend. I thought by that time Tweedy was completely clean and sober. And no I don't think there would be more publicity if he'd said that at all. Anyway not enough publicity for everyone to remember the story seven years later. He wouldn't be the first rocker to get on stage high, you know?

Thanks for this post. I'm really new to messageboards in general and didn't expect my post to raise such ire.

Unless he wildly misspoke, it would have definitely been in 2004, or 2005. I'm actually not completely sure it was Memphis either, it could have been some other place down south. He mentioned a few cities. We'd just seen them live for The Whole Love concert and he was ranking the concerts. Incidentally, he put this mystery concert at number one. (but The Whole Love concert at number 2). It struck me because I knew he went to the dual-diagnosis center in 2004. Even though I didn't believe him necessarily; it's not as if he said Jeff Tweedy bit a dove's head off on stage.

I just wondered if this rang a bell for anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Speed Racer

Try 10-30-2002 on the Gibson Rooftop, not least of all because it's one of the best shows they've played. Tweedy is really out of it and says a lot of strange chatter, including, "it's so cold out here my guitar is sweating."