WILCO & The Beatles

Through the years I've learned there are two AMAZING things WILCO has done for me.

First, I truly love just about anything they/Tweedy does. I'm guaranteed to find in each album too many songs that resonate so well with my life's experiences.

Second, I grew up with a Beatles obsessed mother and, as a result, their music became an amzing backdrop as I grew up in the 70s. However, as I got older and began listening to metal (in Jr./HS) and later (in college) the Dead, The Black Crowes, Phish, etc, I forgot how awsome The Beatles were.

It wasn't until I heard Summerteeth that I decided to crack open the vault. There was just so much in it that reminded me of those days.

So, now through the years, as each album has come out, I go through this cycle where I listen obsessively to WILCOs new release and then naturally move to an obsessive Beatles phase. I'm there now and thank WILCO for allowing me to connect to my past every so often, listening to some of the most amazing music (future and past) I've heard.

Thanks for the links. I've always felt the connection was maybe a bit contrived based on the fact that every so often a beat writer latches on to a connection between the two, but it's nice to read thoughts from someone who genuinely hears the same thing I do.
  • 2 weeks later...

Enjoyable reads, both of them. Though, for the baseball great Dale Murphy's first post, I'm gonna have to quell the enthusiasm a bit:

1. Beatco was the album that Abbey Road wishes it was.
Um, no. More like Abbey Road is the album The Whole Love wishes it was.

2. Jeff Tweedy has the voice Sir Paul wishes he had.
Again, I love Wilco as much as anyone, but no. It's the other way around.

3. Nels Cline is the session guitarist the Beatles should have had.
Actually, yeah, maybe. :guitar

good playlist the murph put together there!

It is. And reading that inspired me to put together a playlist of Beatles songs that either shared aural features or flat out reminded me of Wilco songs (and vice versa, of course).

Here's my 'Beatco' playlist:

Something (Abbey Road - Beatles)

Sunloathe (
The Whole Love -
Wilco)

I Want You (She's So Heavy) (Abbey Road - Beatles)

Spiders (
A Ghost Is Born -
Wilco)

Think For Yourself (Rubber Soul - Beatles)

Standing O (
The Whole Love -
Wilco)

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles)

My Daring (
Summerteeth -
Wilco)

Sexy Sadie (The White Album - Beatles)

Hell Is Chrome (
A Ghost Is Born -
Wilco)

Your Mother Should Know (Magical Mystery Tour - Beatles)

Why Would You Wanna Live (
Being There
- Wilco)

I'm So Tired (The White Album - Beatles)

Red-Eyed And Blue (
Being There
- Wilco)

Long, Long, Long (The White Album - Beatles)

Wishful Thinking (
A Ghost Is Born -
Wilco)

Things We Said Today (A Hard Day's Night - Beatles)

War On War (
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
- Wilco)

Here Comes The Sun (Abbey Road - Beatles)

You And I (
Wilco (The Album) -
Wilco)

A Day In The Life (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles)

Poor Places (
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
- Wilco)

Say, Murph's list is interesting. Tried it out. Not bad. Essentially t's just Abbey Road and YHF mixed together with alternating tracks. And why he chose not to include "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" is beyond me. I have a hard time breaking up the Abbey Road medley. Enjoyable nonetheless.

I am currently not at my personal computer nor do I have my iPod handy but I've recently put about three hours of Beatle/Wilco tracks together. I can recall a few combinations that are pretty cool. Try Get Back and I Might in that order. Also try Strawberry Fields and Poor Places. I also like Martha My Dear, Hummingbird, Your Mother Should Know, Capitol City and Honey Pie.

Another combination I like is What is Life and You Never Know. When I get home I'll post some others. I'm currently administering SATs to the poor suckers who think they are going to go to college, graduate and find a high paying job..... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFfUt7HQWM

All Things Must Pass is an awfully great album if you are unfamiliar.

--Mike

Thanks for the help. I include anything by the Beatles both as a band or solo as well as anything Wilco or Tupelo, or Golden Smog, etc. written and sung by Tweedy. It gives me more flexibility to match up themes, sounds, etc.

Try these runs of songs if you are so inclined...

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Monday

Got Yo Get You Into My Life

You Are My Face

Martha My Dear

Hummingbird

Your Mother Should Know

Capitol City

Honey Pie

Walken

Oo You

ITMWLY

I'm Losing You (Stripped down version))

Hate It Here

Watching the Wheels (Stripped down version)

Blackbird

Jesus Etc.

Live and Let Die

A Magazine Called Sunset

I Me Mine

Either Way

Mother Nature's Son

Dawned On Me

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

One Wing

Savoy Truffle

Standing O

Sexy Sadie

Sunloathe

Isolation

Whole Love

I'm Looking Through You

Someday Soon

Good Day Sunshine

Misunderstood

Getting Better

Heavy Metal Drummer

Get Back

I Might

Drive My Car

I'm a Wheel

I'm Down

You Never Know

What Is Life

Sunny Feeling

Here Comes The Sun

Muzzle of Bees

Cold Turkey

ALTWYS

Helter Skelter

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

I've Just Seen A Face

Forget The Flowers

Happiness Is a Warm Gun

A Shot In The Arm

Instant Karma

Born Alone

It's All Too Much

IATTBYH

I Am the Walrus

Pot Kettle Black

Strawberry Fields

Poor Places

Dear Prudence

Someone Else's Song

Revolution

War On War

Hey Bulldog

Wilco The Song

Only a Northern Song

I Love My Label

You Never Give Me You Money

Red Eyed And Blue

The End

I Got You

Her Majesty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFfUt7HQWM

All Things Must Pass is an awfully great album if you are unfamiliar.

--Mike

Thanks for the help. I include anything by the Beatles both as a band or solo as well as anything Wilco or Tupelo, or Golden Smog, etc. written and sung by Tweedy. It gives me more flexibility to match up themes, sounds, etc.

That's right...forgot the Harrison tune. I'm very much aware of All Things Must Pass. I guess I wasn't opening up "The Beatles" to music that wasn't produced by The Beatles. But I'm happy to play along.

It opens up more options to match songs. Many Wilco songs sound like Beatles tunes to me and visa-verse. I tried to match up two songs at a time and then try to imagine what Beatle(solo as well) or Wilco tune would follow next to keep the string going. It actually is a lot of fun. I guess that tells you where my life is these days. :stunned After playing them a few times I'll make adjustments and move things around a bit or figure how to work a particular song I like to listen to into the mix. Great tunes to listen to while walking the treadmill for forty minutes. It's tough working Ringo songs in however. Been trying to find a couple of Wilco tunes to wrap around Yellow Submarine and With A Little Help From My Friends that sound right.