i know there was a thread about iPhones a while ago, but i couldn't find it in the search.

i am considering purchasing an iphone, and was wondering, for those of you who have one, is it worth the cost (extra monthly expense for data etc...) and is there really much of a difference between the 4S and the 4? I know i could probably find the answer on google faster, but I want you guys' opinions.

All I know is I've never spent money to buy a phone and I have a great phone now. I usually wait for (1) my trade in period to come up and (2) an awesome promotion that gets me a free phone with contract renewal. Last time I got a Droid Incredible, which I'm sure isn't as awesome as an iPhone, but it is pretty darned good and I didn't have to spend a cent.

I just don't get spending a bunch of money when I could get something similar for free. Money is just too hard to come by, Just my thought!

The 3 big differences between 4 and the 4S are:

-speed - 4S has a faster processor and a better antenna so most things should be zippier. But its not like the 4 is slow.

-camera- The 4S's camera is way better, so if you plan on using the phone as a camera replacement, don't get the 4. (Both are crappy in low light so aren't ideal for concerts)

-Siri - With the 4S, you can talk to the phone and get answers, directions, etc without typing anything in. May be sort of gimmicky.

So if any of those are super important to you, go for the 4S.

iPhones, Windows Phones, and Androids are all good options at the moment. All have plusses and minuses, but they all get the job done.

I replaced my 3s with a 4s today. It's a hell of a lot faster and louder, which is great for listening to music w/o earbuds. I take it from other threads that you don't work for a major company, but you may still want to ask if you can get a discount on service through your employer. iPhone's are super simple to use, but can handle quite a load. My only complaint is still no Flash video capability, but even so, it rarely affects my experience.

Oh yeah, I actually get a discount for being a college student. 19% through Verizon on my monthly bill and 25% on phone accessories. It's really nice.

I think I might take the smart phone plunge soon, especially because I do not have internet at my parents house, and spend a good amount of time there. It'd be really good to check up on school stuff and email.

the plunge, o yes. the 4s is the un0 i thank. U like them cameras that autofocus so the 4s is the way to go. as far as the "gigadge" i know it would be cool to have alot but haveing a mac computer of any kind would be the perfect storage device and/or external hard drive

wo0t

I'm not in iPhone user, but am very interested in smartphones and smartphone technology and follow the industry pretty closely. Based on what I've seen and heard, you won't go wrong with a new iPhone 4-S. Everyone loves them. I'm a Windows Phone 7 fanatic, so I could go on about how that's the technology to get right now, but you mention that you are on Verizon, so I wouldn't recommend a Windows Phone for Verizon right now-Verizon still has only the first generation WP7 hardware. But, if you were interested to switch to AT&T, I would definitely tell you to strongly consider the HTC Titan, or Samsung Focus-S, both second generation Windows phones. Unless you want to play Words With Friends.

• 2 weeks later...

i've had three iphones beginning with the 3gs. each iteration is markedly faster than its predecessor. there is less of a gap b/w the 4 and the 4s. the camera is better on the 4s, but don't use siri as a tilt...i never use her. consider the iphone especially if you already use/are familiar with macs as they are a seamless companion.

it's a pocket computer. i do actual work on mine all the time.

I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone 4S today. No stores anywhere in Chattanooga had them in stock, so I had to order it through a Verizon store (though I went with a Satellite store as opposed to the full-blown Verizon store, because the people that work in that store are all mean, bitter, and not in the least bit helpful). The lady in the IPT Cellular store told me my phone will be here by Friday at the latest. Every other store in town said it would take 10+ days. Pretty happy with the purchase. Also got an Otterbox defender case. From the looks of FedEx it should get here tomorrow afternoon right about the time I get off of work. :w00t

• 2 weeks later...

Donna, so far I love it. The camera is awesome. The video mode is awesome. It's all of my separate gadgets in 1 simple machine. Used it to photograph the Old 97's 2 weeks ago, and took some of the best concert shots I've ever taken.

Also really nice to be able to check email without worrying about wi-fi

I just wish we had a VC app.