This is a person I really admire, has has provided a link between R.E.M. and Wilco, two bands I like, which is probably why I am sympathetic to his music projects. Below is an excerpt of an interview from 1997, plus his wikipedia photo.

The Onion: How many bands are you in, anyway?

Scott McCaughey: Well, let's see... Mainly The Minus 5 and Young Fresh Fellows. I toured with R.E.M. and probably will again, I think. I'm certainly not in R.E.M. Then there's The Lowe Beats, my Nick Lowe cover band. [Laughs.] We actually play; there's this big festival in Seattle called Bumbershoot, and the Fellows have played it, like, practically every year for 12 years. This year, they called want-ing The Lowe Beats to play. They didn't ask for the Fellows or The Minus 5; they wanted The Lowe Beats. I play in Tuatara; I just played in one song on the record [breaking The Ethers], but I seem to be playing with them now, pretty much. I played all through this tour with them, and played with [Mark] Eitzel's band also. I played on the record [West] with them, too. I keep busy. [Laughs.]

http://www.avclub.com/articles/scott-mccaughey,13474/

Of course it's been so many years since this interview that he had joined many other groups, say for instance The Venus 3 with Robyn Hitchcock, the King Charles Trio with John Wesley Harding and I think he also was with Snow Patrol on Tired Pony if I recall correctly...

I think he's in so many bands because of his talent, but also because he's friends with all those other people and artists, which speaks of his social skills.

220px-Scott_McCaughey_01.jpg

• 3 months later...

McCaughey discussing Neil Young:

http://spectrumculture.com/2012/06/interview-scott-mccaughey-on-neil-young.html/

I like the opening remarks by the journalist:

"While it would be tempting to ask McCaughey about his myriad of new projects or the demise of R.E.M., we had something much different to discuss that afternoon…(Neil Young)"

Very important concert by The Minus 5 tonight, Peter Buck will be previewing songs from his upcoming vinyl-only album.

I loved the Young Fresh Fellows back in the day. And, when I hear them now, I still love 'em. (I really need to replace my old, lost copies of their albums.)

• 3 weeks later...

The Baseball Project have announced various live dates accross the United States. Mike Mills will be playing bass.

July 5 New York, NY – City Winery (with Craig Finn of the Hold Steady)

July 6 New London, CT – Sailfest

July 7 Boston, MA – House of Blues

July 8 Wellfleet, MA – The Beachcomber

July 24 Madison, WI – Warner Park

July 24 Madison, WI – High Noon Saloon

July 25 St. Louis, MO – Wood House Concert

July 26 Rock Island, IL – Rock Island Brewing Co.

July 27 Somerset, WI – Soundtown Festival

July 28 Chicago, IL – Wicker Park Fest

More info at jambands.com: http://www.jambands.com/news/2012/06/22/the-baseball-project-set-dates

neil is probably my favorite artist, so this was a fun read. what's funny is scott's work doesn't sound like neil that much to me :-) i am going to check some of his stuff out more closely though. i love how he likes neil's 'bad' albums. i totally agree with him on Landing On Water. great, great songs...shit production. he should remake it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is pretty awesome(BB.Project with Mike Mills) Use "Jdownloader" to own,settings on HQ(720) H264 container

You probably read what Steve Wynn said about this show:

"I've played a ton of shows (about 2500, I think) and there is honestly something that stands out about almost..."

http://twitter.com/s...161540379021314

Just announced the new Young Fresh Fellows, "Tiempo de Lujo": http://www.yeproc.co...jo-on-august-21

YFF-Tiempo-1-350x350.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

New Minus 5 Album out soon.

From universaltrendsetter.org:

The Minus 5 is nearing completion of its 9th official long-player, and first since 2009's Killingsworth.  Scheduled for release by Yep Roc Records on Record Store Day, April 19, 2014, it will be a 55-song 5-LP set of new material, titled Scott The Hoople In The Dungeon Of Horror, limited to 500 vinyl copies in a deluxe book-style bound album.  As usual, The Minus 5 features Scott McCaughey with much help from Peter Buck and pals such as John Moen, Jeff Tweedy, Bill Rieflin, Linda Pitmon, Nate Query, Jenny Conlee, Ian McLagan, Laura Gibson, Ezra Holbrook, Wesley Stace, Casey Neill and more.

Ooh, this bodes well for the upcoming Tweedy shows with Scott McCaughey opening. I was figuring there would be some collaborations anyway but now it seems certain.

Also, wouldn't it be funny if Jeff comes out during Scott's opening set and they sang Ballad of the Opening Band together? I'll bet that happens.

I hope they also release the new music on cd and digitally. I imagine they will? While I find Killingsworth almost unlistenable, The Gun album was amazing.

Killingsworth in my opinion is full of religious references, not sure if the band intended them to have a Christian meaning, but take these lyrics as an example:  “I would rather sacrifice you than to miss sweet Jesus’ call/ I will die a Christian soldier if I ever die at all”. 

That's what I dislike about the album, in general I try to avoid exposure to religious content, especially Christian, but other than this I don't think the album is unlistenable, a few of the songs come up regularly on my iPod and I own the CD on physical format as well.

Of course, the Gun Album was a superior beast, I can't think of a song I don't like, my favourites are: With a Gun and Cigarettes, Coffee and Booze. There's a song with Colin Meloy on vocals, Cemetery Row, which is also very good.

Another of their albums is Old Liquidator, although this was too experimental in my opinion, there's all sorts of weird sounds popping up in the songs, they're good rocking songs but perhaps this use of bizarre sounds in the background just ruins what would otherwise had been an extraordinary instrumental section. 

I can also recommend "Let the war against music begin", from 2001, some of my favourite band songs are included here, such as I Got You, Your Day Will Come featuring Robyn Hitchcock and John Barleycorn must Live.

• 3 years later...

I found out that The Minus 5 are opening or Alejandro Escovedo on the upcoming tour. Not such a big surprise since Scott produced AE's latest album, but I'm excited to see TM5 back in the live setting playing those songs. I got tickets for one of the Chicago shows...