A Good Entry Level Uncle Tupelo Album

I would go with the greatest hits if you know NOTHING about UT. Anodyne is really great, but not really like AM at all. It is also a good place to start or finish. I would just get all four and be done with it really. I am sure there are used CDs floating around that are plenty cheap.

LouieB

I was a very slow train coming around to UT.

About 6 months ago I created two mixes of their music for my ipod and have since fallen in love with listening to them.

The mixes helped me to get my feet wet with UT and since then the water has been fine!

I realize there will probably be howls of dis-satisfaction with these two mixes as they do leave out what even I would consider some of their better songs.

However I made cuts on these mixes in order to give JT what some might consider an undeserved but equal footing.

I don't think he was as developed of a songwriter-singer as JF was at the time.

But I kinda wanted this also to be a "call & rsponse" mix especially the second half of the second set.

I also (for my own weird reasons) wanted these two mixes to be each approximately the length of two LP's and feel like albums with a beginning, a middle and an end - sort of a chronicle of the group.

So for better or for worse, here is my two cents on the topic:

Mix 1

01 - No Depression

02 - Graveyard Shift

03 - That Year

04 - Looking For A Way Out

05 - Nothing

06 - So Called Friend

07 - Gun

08 - Life Worth Livin'

09 - True To Life

10 - Left In The Dark

11 - Flatness

12 - Screen Door

13 - John Hardy

Mix 2

01 - Grindstone

02 - Black Eye

03 - Still Be Around

04 - Wait Up

05 - Atomic Power

06 - I Wanna Destroy You

07 - No Sense In Lovin'

08 - Whiskey Bottle

09 - Cold Shoulder

10 - Chickamauga

11 - The Long Cut

12 - Fall Down Easy

13 - Steal The Crumbs

14 - We've Been Had

PS, if you ever do try Spotify, I do believe I have posted at least the first mix out on it - I haven't been on Spotify for awhile because I posted it for my family in order to encourage them to take an interest, don't think anyone ever listened to it.

Sadly, Spotify is not available in Ireland. And apparently used CDs from the USA don't ship internationally due to warranty issues. (Attempt fail.) But I am happy with Anodyne today.

Plus, I've been taught to download and unpack/unzip. O brave new world!

I hope to pick up used copies when I visit Claremont next month. (Rhino Records! Yay!)

@Robby, the JT songs are on heavier rotation for me too at the moment, but I will probably get to the rest of them later. Thanks for posting your playlists. I think they will help: Uncle Tupelo 101.

No Depression = more rock-oriented material, breakneck tempos, big, loud guitars. Not much twang.

Still Feel Gone = the punk record, with some twang, more dense instrumentation and arrangements. Phenomenal drums, stronger songwriting.

March 16-20, 1992 = the quiet record, acoustic instrumentation, covers and original material. Laid-back, haunting, hushed. Stripped-down.

Anodyne = best blend of rock and twang, much more mature songwriting. Recorded live-in-studio in Austin. Warm, sunny, yet melancholic, heartbreaking.

Thanks for posting your playlists. I think they will help: Uncle Tupelo 101.

You are very welcome!

I sincerely hope you can find the reissued versions of the UT albums as they contain some fantatstic extras including: Left In The Dark, I Wanna Destroy You, Sin City and an incredible live recording of CCR's Susie Q.

You are very welcome!

I sincerely hope you can find the reissued versions of the UT albums as they contain some fantatstic extras including: Left In The Dark, I Wanna Destroy You, Sin City and an incredible live recording of CCR's Susie Q.

Don't forget my favorite UT song, "Wherever", what an awesome tune!

The difference between Anodyne and AM is slight, if you take out Jay's vocal of course.

I could not disagree more. Not picking on A.M., but Anodyne is a knock down dragout battle (musically and personality....Jay and Jeff both growing as songwritters). It is the sound of a band, and two people, relizing this is kick ass but it can't last. Thus, the ironic title of the album. I see it all now in retrospect in the lyrics. A.M. is a great collection of songs by a group of guys who are becoming a band.

Sorry to rant....but the word "slight" threw me off. They have simmilar musical influences, but only one is a truly great record. Being There is where Wilco hit great status for me.