A Good Entry Level Uncle Tupelo Album

If one were to start exploring Uncle Tupelo for the first time, after a decade of adoring Wilco (introduced by Billy Bragg via Mermaid Avenue), where should one begin?

In chronological order? Or reverse chronological order? At random? Or can anyone familiar with the UT catalogue recommend an album to start with?

(null)

Anodyne is my favorite of the Uncle Tupelo albums and has their best overall collection of original songs as far as I'm concerned. No Depression, Still Feel Gone and March 16-20, 1992 are all very solid releases too, some real great songs on all of those and all worth owning.

Why not just buy them all -

1) Cash-strapped after flying around Europe to see Wilco;

2) I may find Uncle Tupelo annoying, the way some Wilco fans dislike Billy Bragg;

3) I like spending time with one album at a time.

I'm hoping if I start at the right spot, I will acquire a taste and eventually buy them all.

1) Cash-strapped after flying around Europe to see Wilco;

2) I may find Uncle Tupelo annoying, the way some Wilco fans dislike Billy Bragg;

3) I like spending time with one album at a time.

I'm hoping if I start at the right spot, I will acquire a taste and eventually buy them all.

I see. I always start with a band's first album and then go from there. The way things are these days - you can listen to all of them online before you ever buy them. You know that - of course.

They made great music.

Thanks, all. I should have known if I asked it here, eventually every album will get a vote! :-D

I think I will start with Anodyne.

@Analogman- I am a Mennonite when it comes to downloading music or torrents off the interwebs. But perhaps if you have time you can let me know where I can find UT albums to listen to for free?

Truth is, it's easier to spend money and have things sent to me. (Maybe this is also why I am broke.) I am a dork and plan to buy CDs rather than itunes download so I can look at the liner notes and have a tactile experience. (Not hip enough to own a turn table to avail of the upcoming UT rereleases and 7" boxed set.)

(null)

All of their albums are great, but both tweedy and farrar where getting better and better as time went on.

AM is very similar to anodyne.

I am really excited for these vinyl reissues to come out, I have been wanting to get these on vinyl since I got into them 7 or 8 years ago!

As a Wilco fan who is not extremely well versed in UT (and I call myself a fan!?), I too recommend Anodyne as a starting place. For me, it's the sweet fine line between early twangy Wilco and even twangier UT. ;)

Also, I have a couple of boots of live UT shows, and it's the songs from Anodyne that are my favorites in those shows.

Thanks, all. I should have known if I asked it here, eventually every album will get a vote! :-D

@Analogman- I am a Mennonite when it comes to downloading music or torrents off the interwebs. But perhaps if you have time you can let me know where I can find UT albums to listen to for free?

Truth is, it's easier to spend money and have things sent to me. (Maybe this is also why I am broke.) I am a dork and plan to buy CDs rather than itunes download so I can look at the liner notes and have a tactile experience. (Not hip enough to own a turn table to avail of the upcoming UT rereleases and 7" boxed set.)

(null)

Oh - me too. I don't even own an iPod. I just find things on Youtube if I want to hear something. Plus - as others have pointed out - there are legal streams these days.

I guess for me Uncle Tupelo is the best because that is how I got here. Times change, and people make different music. I guess depending on what your musical preferences are you will think they are great, or you won't.

My favorite Wilco albums are the first two, and my favorite Son Volt albums are the first two. So - that is where I am at.

(null)

Spotify is an easy place to hear all the albums streaming.

BTW I'd go with "Anodyne" too. It's my favorite & close to where things went with "A.M."- though I prefer "A.M." (& prefer "A.M." to "Trace" by Son Volt as well for that matter).

I can say, without hesitation, that it's worth seeking out the non-Wilco cousin projects...the Uncle Tupelo & Loose Fur albums being the primary ones (most Tweedy action), followed by the Golden Smog albums & the one by The Minus Five ("Down With Wilco")- some Tweedy action.

After that there's some high points of the Jay Bennett solo albums (you can make a pretty great "best of" CD-R), and while I don't yet own anything by The Autumn Defense, or Laurie & John, I can say that I've heard them & I'm very impressed. They are right up my alley as well. Finally Nels Cline is one of my favorite musicians ever, and he has a vast catalog of both solo work & guest work on others albums. I've totally dig what I've heard, but haven't had as much time to dig into the whole shebang just yet...very intrigued & looking forward to hearing more in the future though. Wilco may work off the pivot of Jeff Tweedy, and that is primary, but it has been, and is, a truly talented collective of talent.