fun. - Some Nights

I am a big fan of Nate Reuss' former band, The Format, but this new album from his new band is getting so big... it's another little indie band hitting it big, like The Arcade Fire. Hell, I just heard "We Are Young" playing over the system at the damn Mazda dealer yesterday!

Yeah, I knew that the song was selling, but that still kinda threw me for a loop. What threw me even more was that it didn't sound out of place!

If you're wondering who it is I'm talking about, this is the song:

You know a song is big when the cast of Glee has performed it.

You know a song is big when the cast of Glee has performed it.

Yeah, I just found that out. That is HUGE.

Good for them!

dug some of fun.'s first record, but it's all a bit too emo-tinged for my taste these days.

kinda crazy how big 'We Are Young' has gotten since the Super Bowl commercial, which is funny since the single was released last September

dug some of fun.'s first record, but it's all a bit too emo-tinged for my taste these days.

kinda crazy how big 'We Are Young' has gotten since the Super Bowl commercial, which is funny since the single was released last September

Not a big fan of the song.

I had never heard the hit before listening to the entire album. Difficult to believe, maybe, but true. So, maybe that is helping me appreciate it all more. Still: kicking. my. ass.

• 1 month later...

So, now that "We Are Young" has been pretty much the biggest song in the world for the last month or so, what's the current verdict on this album?

Figure that by the lack of chatter about them around here these days that we are too indie to pay attention to them anymore.

The hell with that. I love this band. And I think that the album is still one of the best of the year. It's great all the way through.

Although I do wish that I could escape the single somewhere outside of the confines of my own bedroom. I love that they band is getting some well-deserved success, but I hate that the overplay is most-likely going to kill a song that I really like.

It's a really catchy tune, but I thought most of the songs on the record were really cliche and the lyrics bog down on just about every tune. Also, just a bit too Queen sounding. I understand having influences, but it sounds like they listened to some Queen records and just regurgitated what they heard with their own lyrics.

I don't like to be a hater, but that song is so damn annoying. The lyrics are atrocious. And I agree with Solace way too emo. I have only heard that one song (like 99% of the population) it does not want me to check out any more of their music.

Plus fun is a terrible name.

And I will admit that my love of Nate Reuss' previous band — The Format — probably has something to do with my love of Fun.

Nonetheless, this is still a damn lot better than most of the pap that passes for pop on top 40 radio these days.

Well, this probably won't change anybody's mind about the band, but this is another song from the same album. Just an FYI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et1hFMCWhmE

Even more of that Queen influence in evidence here (and maybe some Oak Ridge Boys?). But I don't really care. I still love this.