• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have to say, of all the sports at which women excel and which I am happy to watch, footie is not one of them. They never seem anything other than unbalanced and awkward to me, as if all the women who want to play sport but are too uncoordinated to do anything else end up playing football. Sorry ladies ... However, to their credit they don't do hardly any of the falling down pretending to be hurt stuff that the Wendyball men get up to. I'll stick to rugby ...

Meanwhile, caught the Iceland v Hungary handball over lunch streaming on my work PC the other day. A real thriller into double extra time, with the Icelandic goalie making some great saves with his face. Developing quite a handball crush - like basketball but with a bit more intentional violence, and for normal people not 7 foot freaks.

Also, really,that bmx racing isn't a sport. Much too much hoodies and cider. What were the IOC thinking?

Plus - Irish boxing gold. No doubt it's a distant cousin of yours Gogo :-)

Finally, felt quite barren and unsettled yesterday as the medals failed to roll in, but today the gold fever is back and Brits are whistling at work again.. God bless the individual dressage. We're really not used to it, being much more at home with the usual poignant and heroic failures - though there have been some of them too. With all those athletes devoting their lives to preparing for the Games, our overpaid football players can't be bothered to do a half hour a week penalty taking practise. Typical. Rugby sevens is at Rio. Now we're talking ...

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I'll check out Gold Medal matches or World Cup Finals if the U.S. is involved. I enjoy women's and men's soccer equally. If there is one team sport that is unbearable to watch the women play, it's basketball.

Plus - Irish boxing gold. No doubt it's a distant cousin of yours Gogo :-)

Oddly enough... :lol

Katie Taylor looks like a nice girl. So, no relative of mine!

Paddy Barnes, on the other hand... is a cousin of a cousin. He handled himself badly in Beijing. It looked like he'd been robbed of some points in his match; he wasn't expected to win it, but the result was 15-0, which didn't seem quite right, either. But he gave a few interviews after where he mouthed off a bit about the refs and the judges. He ended up with a bronze, the Chinese boxer who beat him ended up winning the final and getting the gold.

Coming into this Olympics, he's made an effort to sound like a bit of a better sport, but he's been holding up signs at inappropriate moments promoting his twitter, etc. Probably not the classiest move! He made it exactly far as last time, fought this morning against the same Chinese fighter who'd beat him in Beijing, and with the points at 15-15, they gave it to the other boxer on a countback (45-44). So he's bronze again, first Irish boxer to medal in two Olympic games (first Irish athlete to do so at all, since the 1920s). And he was gracious in interviews, said he's friendly with the Chinese boxer now, happy with the close result, and pleased with his improvement from 15-0 to 15-15.

He also had to be happy with the response of the crowd. Obviously in Beijing his opponent had the home-field advantage; but when Paddy came back hard in the 3rd round this morning, the crowd went nuts chanting his name.

I'm not a boxing fan, and only met Paddy once when he was about 3 yrs old, but I'm happy for his mother (who I do know well), and glad to see that he's satisfied with the result today.