Wilco — 9/21/12, Berkeley, CA (Greek Theatre)

Here was the complete setlist, as played, for Night 1 at the Greek:

Dawned On Me

War On War

I Might

Sunken Treasure (Jeff on acoustic; no harmonica)

Black Moon

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)

Impossible Germany

Born Alone>

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season) (electric arrangement)

Radio Cure

Handshake Drugs>

Wishful Thinking

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Whole Love

Box Full Of Letters

I'm Always In Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You

-----------------------------------

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Art Of Almost

Standing O

California Stars

A Magazine Called Sunset

Hummingbird>

A Shot In The Arm

--------------------------------------

Hoodoo Voodoo (w/ bass/guitar/keyboard tech Josh on cowbell)>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Thanks for the setlist, Paul. I really loved this show. It seemed like one for the fans. Sunken Treasue was amazingly good, and Radio Cure and Wishful Thinking and Magazine--I can never hear those enough. It seemed like a lot of thought went into the pacing of this show. A really nice, dreamy mood.

I was too close to the front to tell how well it was going over with the audience at large, though. What is a heavenly setlist for a hardcore Wilco geek might seem insufficiently rockin' for more casual fans.

I thougbt Jeff in particular seemed like he was having a loose, fun time.

Can't wait for tomorrow, where I'm sure the mood will be entirely different.

Nice list, thanks Paul....sounds a mellow start witha fun 2nd half...

You're welcome. The second encore wasn't on the printed setlist, so those two were definitely a bonus. As previously mentioned, Josh stayed clothed for a good portion of Hoodoo. We thought it might be a tad too chilly to do the "shirtless roadie" act tonight but Jeff made it happen eventually. Always fun.

The first encore was notable, in one sense, for Jeff's encouragement of singing along. He let the crowd take just about the entire first verse of IATTBYH and came to the front of the stage and held the microphone down to the crowd during the usual parts in Hummingbird. And during both Cali Stars and Shot, he seemed to delight in the singalong aspects.

Also it was cool to see the band once again come out and all collaborate with Cibo Matto during their opening set. Unfortunately it seemed like the sound quality was a bit lacking, at least toward the front. Nonetheless Jeff thanked them for their performance (which also featured Scott Amendola on drums) and said they were "part of the extended Wilco family." They played a pretty similar set to the one they did at Terminal 5 in New York in July, the only major difference being the addition of the song Sugar Water (with Jeff contributing some vocals).

Here was Cibo Matto's set at the Greek:

Beef Jerky (Miho and Yuka only)

Le Pain Perdu (Miho and Yuka only)

Spoon>

BBQ

new song-Tenth Floor Ghost Girl

Moonchild (w/Glenn Kotche on drums, Mikael Jorgensen on keyboards, Nels Cline on electric guitar and John Stirratt and Pat Sansone on backing vocals)

new song-Check In

Sugar Water (w/Jeff Tweedy on backing vocals)

Birthday Cake

This was the best Wilco show I've seen in a few years. Being one of the old crotchety fans who misses the days of yore, this felt a bit like late 90s Wilco. "Shouldn't Be Ashamed" was the highlight with "Laminated Cat" and "Wishful Thinking" right behind. A fantastic set list and Jeff seemed very youthful and relaxed.

I've seen Wilco probably 60+ times, dating back to 12/94 and a few months back in Brooklyn was the first time I ever departed a Wilco show early. Last night really made up for that disappointing show. In Brooklyn, they seemed to be a band going through the motions. Last night was completely different.

I still wish they'd kill Heavy Metal/Man, but hey, even I was dancing during this.

Thx for the setlist and review, bbop. Many, many highlights for me but I think Sunken Treasure, Box Full of Letters and Laminated Cat were my faves. And it's so much fun watching John - he plays with so much passion. If/when he gets bored or is tired, he certainly doesn't show it!

• 1 month later...

Just released on Oct. 24, 2012- Roadcase #12 & #13 from consecutive nights, Sept. 21 & 22 at The Greek Theater in Berkley, CA.

http://wilco.kungfus...keley-ca-wilr12

http://wilco.kungfus...keley-ca-wilr13

27 whopping songs each night, and as is the case with consecutive shows they play in the same town- great song variation within the set lists...9 songs repeated each night, 18 fresh & new- making for 45 different songs played over the two nights.

This is pretty much the same sort of thing they did in NYC with Roadcase shows #3, 4 & 5 from 3 consecutive shows in NYC where they played 9 songs that repeated on any given night with 18 fresh ones for that show, giving you 63 songs over that 3 show run.

From this new batch "On and On and On" is a song that hasn't appeared on previous Roadcase releases- all the other songs have.

Wilco

Roadcase 012 / September 21, 2012 / Berkeley, CA (WILR12)

This is part of Wilco's Roadcase series of high-quality live recordings. Each show is tracked, mastered and includes a digital image of the show poster. For more information on accessing your downloads, click HERE

Recorded live at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, CA on September 21, 2012.

Setlist

01 - Dawned On Me

02 - War On War

03 - I Might

04 - Sunken Treasure

05 - Black Moon

06 - Spiders (Kidsmoke)

07 - Impossible Germany

08 - Born Alone

09 - Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)

10 - Radio Cure

11 - Handshake Drugs

12 - Wishful Thinking

13 - Shouldn't Be Ashamed

14 - Whole Love

15 - Box Full of Letters

16 - I'm Always In Love

17 - Heavy Metal Drummer

18 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

Encore:

19 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

20 - Art of Almost

21 - Standing O

22 - California Stars

23 - A Magazine Called Sunset

24 - Hummingbird

25 - Shot in the Arm

Encore:

26 - Hoodoo Voodoo

27 - Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Wilco

Roadcase 013 / September 22, 2012 / Berkeley, CA (WILR13)

This is part of Wilco's Roadcase series of high-quality live recordings. Each show is tracked, mastered and includes a digital image of the show poster. For more information on accessing your downloads, click HERE

Recorded live at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, CA on September 22, 2012.

Setlist

01 - One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

02 - Art of Almost

03 - I Might

04 - Misunderstood

05 - Company In My Back

06 - You Are My Face

07 - Impossible Germany

08 - Capitol City

09 - Born Alone

10 - Jesus, Etc.

11 - Say You Miss Me

12 - Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

13 - Whole Love

14 - I Must Be High

15 - Walken

16 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

17 - Dawned On Me

18 - Shot in the Arm

19 - On and On and On

Encore:

20 - Via Chicago

21 - Passenger Side

22 - Forget the Flowers

23 - Christ for President