I was just reviewing one of those "Celebrities We Lost in 2012" stories, and being reminded what a rough year it was for losing people known in the music world: Etta James, Ravi Shankar, Levon Helm, Bob Welch, Scott McKenzie, Whitney Houston, Jon Lord, Kitty Wells, Robin Gibb, Donna Summer, Chuck Brown, Adam Yauch, Davy Jones, Andy Williams, Earl Scruggs, Marvin Hamlisch, Duck Dunn, Dave Brubeck...

Granted, I might not have considered all of these people important artists, but they were a huge part of a lot of people's lives at one point or another. Hope we don't lose too many like that in 2013!

I was just reviewing one of those "Celebrities We Lost in 2012" stories, and being reminded what a rough year it was for losing people known in the music world: Etta James, Ravi Shankar, Levon Helm, Bob Welch, Scott McKenzie, Whitney Houston, Jon Lord, Kitty Wells, Robin Gibb, Donna Summer, Chuck Brown, Adam Yauch, Davy Jones, Andy Williams, Earl Scruggs, Marvin Hamlisch, Duck Dunn, Dave Brubeck...

Granted, I might not have considered all of these people important artists, but they were a huge part of a lot of people's lives at one point or another. Hope we don't lose too many like that in 2013!

Ray Collins and Lee Dorman (3 days apart)

That's a hell of a list, Mr. H. Jon Lord in particular stands out for me. Ravi, Etta, Earl, Brubeck...they had a good run but Lord, DAMN he was an original. Best keys in hard rock, hands down imo. 

Can't believe I forgot Ray Collins. Of course, he wasn't on the list I was looking through, but I'm a big FZ fan (obviously), so I'm a little embarrassed I spaced on Ray.

I know we will always lose more...I just hope 2013 isn't one of those years where we lose multiple marquee names again. Some of our heroes are in their 60s and 70s now.

All this is pretty sad, but it is always more sad for the unexpected.  Older folks like Dave Brubeck, Ravi Shankar, Andy Williams etc, their time just came: and some like Etta James and Levon Helm, we knew they were sick, but folks who are in their 50s and 60s, that's truly sad. 

LouieB

It was a tragic year for music, having lost all those artists, they're irreplaceable.

But on the other hand I don't remember seeing quite a busy year in music, not in recent memory at least. All the Led Zeppelin activity, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys... Zeppelin had been dormant since the O2 concert and this year they were featured prominently in almost every print or electronic media. At the same time, I heard that it wasn't such a bad year for album sales, I remember reading that there had even been a rebound compared with CD sales of say 2009.