Beatles isolated tracks (for all the nerds)

If I recall correctly, Abbey Road was the one record where they really dove into all the things they could achieve with eight-track recording. Some of the White Album was done on eight-track, and I think Let it Be was recorded on that as well, but Abbey Road had some other technical/studio equipment changes that gave it a sound distinct from all other recordings by The Beatles. With regards to Ringo's drums, I think they were able to put more mics on his kit and better capture the various sounds and textures of his cymbals and tom-toms in particular. I just love that "thumpy" "pitter-patter" sound.

Nice. Thanks.

What is it with this music? I wouldn't be interested in this sort of analysis for anyone else. The Beatles music is just in my DNA somehow ever since they became the first band I got into in my teenage years. Lucky choice :-)

AN ESSENTIAL DOCUMENT FOR ALL OF YOU.

31YRynwKHaL._SL500_.jpg

Seriously, nerds: you must have this book.

Too bad it's so damn pricey.

It's a diary-type account of every single recording session the band ever did. And, honestly, it is a freakin' page-turner. Got it as a gift. Thought that it was just a bargain bin cheapie that my sister found for me, but when I started actually reading it (forced to by my insomniac 2-year-old), I could not wait to get back to it every night. Amazing stuff.

31YRynwKHaL._SL500_.jpg

I got mine a few years back, it was in the discount book section for $12.99. So they can be found fairly cheap these days if you're lucky.

I got mine a few years back, it was in the discount book section for $12.99. So they can be found fairly cheap these days if you're lucky.

That is awesome.

And... agreed as to how essential it is?

That is awesome.

And... agreed as to how essential it is?

Definitely. As a huge Beatles fan and a musician this book was a definite must have.

I've toyed with getting this one too: http://www.recordingthebeatles.com/

Anyone read it?

Definitely. As a huge Beatles fan and a musician this book was a definite must have.

I've toyed with getting this one too: http://www.recordingthebeatles.com/

Anyone read it?

I have not read that one but I actually do kinda know Kevin Ryan; at least from back in the day on Garageband.com.

He is/was an amazing songwriter and musician whom I am heartbroken that he is not making music any more. Seriously.

PM me your email and I will send you one of the few recordings of his that I was able to salvage from the site.

Also, as to the book itself, I am just not that big an equipment nerd. It would probably go way over my head.

The book on recording the Beatles is a fun read if you skip around. If you try to read it straight through, it gets boring after awhile because it's almost TOO detailed. And I love reading about equipment and general useless knowledge about musicians.  But if you can find it cheap, it's interesting to be able to look up a session or a song and see some of how they did it. 

• 3 months later...

31YRynwKHaL._SL500_.jpg

It's a diary-type account of every single recording session the band ever did. And, honestly, it is a freakin' page-turner. Got it as a gift. Thought that it was just a bargain bin cheapie that my sister found for me, but when I started actually reading it (forced to by my insomniac 2-year-old), I could not wait to get back to it every night. Amazing stuff.

I found a copy in a used book store last weekend. Seven dollars! Enjoying it very much. Thanks for the tip!