Hixter mentioned visiting a small brewery on a trip to bring back bottles to Texas in another thread. I know there is a Now Drinking thread, but I thought this topic deserved its own thread. Texas just passed a series of laws to allow small breweries and brewpubs to sell their own beer to consumers on site (yes, baby steps). We're going through a bit of a craft beer revolution and it's exciting to see all the different breweries pop up. There are a couple around Fort Worth that recently opened that are excellent: Martin House and Revolver in nearby Granbury.

Any favorites in your corners of the world?

Anyone real familiar with the Seattle area? I'm planning a trip up there soon and would love to know where to start and what to try.

Real Ale in Blanco.

Freetail Brewing in San Antonio (brewpub).

Jester King, (512), Independence in Austin.

No Label in Katy.

Cigar City in Tampa and Firestone-Walker in Paso Robles, California, are probably my two favorite breweries.

This is where I'm visiting before Solid Sound. I'm planning to harvest some of their renowned yeast from the dregs of a few cans for use in my brewing experiments.

Chicago has become a brewery boom town over the last few years. I recently moved to Flossmoor, IL (south suburb) - we have our own Flossmoor Station Restaurant and Brewery. Really tasty brews and food.

Also just over the border in Munster, IN - there is Three Floyds Brewery (the beer geek Mecca)

If you're in the Detroit area you have to hit Dragonmead.  It's been a few years since I've been there, but they always had a ridiculously large selection of great beers, all brewed on site.  The bar/setting is not much to look at, but the beer will bring you back for more.

Also just over the border in Munster, IN - there is Three Floyds Brewery (the beer geek Mecca)

My neighbor (a former TX sales rep for Victory Brewing) was in Chicago a few months ago and trekked over to Three Floyds. He was confused when an employee started explaining Indiana beers laws -- he didn't realize that he'd left Illinois.

I've been a big fan of Summit Extra Pale Ale (brewed in St. Paul, MN) for over 20 years. It was the first microbrew I was ever introduced to.

Current favorites include Bell's Two Hearted, and Half Acre Daisy Cutter

My favorite, too -- followed by Stone IPA

I've been a big fan of Summit Extra Pale Ale (brewed in St. Paul, MN) for over 20 years. It was the first microbrew I was ever introduced to.

Me too! Toured there circa 1994 and the guy pouring samples was a fellow Luther College alum, so he kept our glasses full. Great time!

I don't hardly drink but if you get up Wisconsin way, New Glarus Brewery makes great cheap craft beers in various flavors. 

LouieB

I had some New Glaurus a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember which one, but it was good.

I don't hardly drink but if you get up Wisconsin way, New Glarus Brewery makes great cheap craft beers in various flavors. 

LouieB

A nice, quaint town, too.  The use to make a Belgium Red Ale that was fantastic - haven't seen it awhile, though. A couple of weeks ago I passed through WI on the way to MN and bought a bottle of New Glarus Serendipity - a bit like the Belgium Red, but not nearly as good.

They use to distribute to the Chicago area in the late 90's - but I think they got a little over their skis with production and they pulled out.

I take that back - see below - the distributor laws in Illinois has always been f'd up.

Today the company brews a variety of beers, with its Spotted Cow label leading in sales. New Glarus Brewing company beers are sold exclusively in Wisconsin. From 1998 to 2002, the company's brews were also sold in Illinois, with a majority of its sales in greater Chicago. After a dispute with its distributor, New Glarus Brewing ceased sales in Illinois.

Edited by calvino

Right now my three favorite beers are:

Revolver's Blood & Honey (wheat ale flavored with blood orange zest and local honey)

Real Ale's Hans Pils

Lakewood's The Temptress (imperial milk stout)

If any of y'all are in Texas, you need to seek these out.

I can't go a mile in any direction here in Boulder without hitting a good microbrewery. As far as Colorado faves:

1. Avery - IPA - I drink this stuff by the bucketfull, my fave IPA or Ellies Brown Ale

2. Oskar Blues - Dales Pale Ale and Ten Fidy (Imperial Stout)

3. Boulder Beer - Hazed and infused or MOJO or Flashback

4. ODells - Red Ale or Levity

5. Left hand brewing - Milk Stout

Non colorado beer I had recently and really loved - Russian river - Pliny the Elder