YES!!

DR. DOG ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM

Philadelphia's Dr. Dog will release their new album entitled B-Room October 1st on Anti-. Showcasing some of their most mature, streamlined and soulful writing to date, the record is the culmination of a complete overhaul of the band’s writing and recording process, which finds them in a new self-built studio, writing songs live in rehearsal, and using the rock solid groove of the band, honed through workmanlike touring, as a powerful compositional tool.

B-Room, in its purest form, is a soul album. It may be obvious as the first track opens with the Gamble and Huff inspired, “The Truth.” But as the album progresses the music continues to take on a soulfulness that is vibrant in its simplicity. As McMicken put it, “The hallmark of soul music for me is that the arrangements are simple rather than virtuosic, and that the sound creates a feeling that is intuitive rather than intellectual.” To listen to the “The Truth” care of Spin Magazine go to: http://www.spin.com/articles/dr-dog-the-truth-stream-b-room-new-album/

The story begins with jackhammers instead of guitars. After ending the lease at home studio “Meth Beach” where they had been headquartered for the past eight years, the musicians took on the commitment of constructing an entirely new recording space within a now defunct silversmith mill. As the band's bassist-vocalist Toby Leaman put it, “The whole process of recording really started with building the studio.”

Track Listing

1. The Truth – 4:26
  2. Broken Heart – 3:36
  3. Minding the Usher – 3:26
  4. Distant Light – 3:24
  5. Phenomenon – 3:55
  6. Too Weak to Ramble – 3:56
  7. Long Way Down – 3:51
  8. Cuckoo – 4:04
  9. Twilight – 3:35
  10. Rock & Roll – 3:07
  11. Love – 3:41
  12. Nellie – 3:37
  13. Mt. Slippery – 1:48 (deluxe DL only)
  14. Can’t Remember – 3:55 (Deluxe DL only)
  15. Humble Passenger – 6:35 (Deluxe DL only)

15990_10151779212691171_953138483_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnpNq7U2Qk&feature=youtu.be

Order Here:

http://kingsroadmerch.com/dr-dog/

I like the new tune... kind of a lot.  I could appreciate the urgency they were going for on "Be the Void" but there was a weird hypercolor dance spin they put on some of it that was kind of annoying.  I'm already feeling like a new entry from them is good, even though it's been less than a year.

Can't wait to hear the new tune on my drive home.  

Yeah "Be the Void" was a good record, but not their best.  I think its their only record that I didn't completely wear out.. Just seems like there was something missing from it.   

"A soul album" sounds intriguing... 

I LOVE the new song! I'm pretty sure I've listened to it 50 times already! And Yeah, Be The Void was good, but you're right, there seemed to be missing something. Though, I do feel like Toby really had some shining moments with his tracks. It just wasn't nearly as great as Fate, Shame, Shame, We All Belong and their earlier albums. I'm amazed at how fast they crank em' out... Be the Void will be 20 months old in October!

I dig the new song.  Doesn't really knock my socks off or anything but its a solid tune.  I definitely get the whole soul thing, although that sound isn't really new for them.  Looking forward to the rest.  

Dr. Dog Fall Headlining Tour

October 11 Atlanta GA, The Masquerade
November 01 Pittsburgh PA, Stage AE
November 02 Louisville KY, Headliners Music Hall
November 03 Asheville NC, The Orange Peel
November 05 Richmond VA, The National
November 06 Charlottesville VA, Jefferson Theater
November 07 Columbus OH, Newport Music Hall
November 08 Toronto ON, Phoenix Concert Theater
November 09 Detroit MI, Majestic Theater
November 11 Cleveland OH, House Of Blues
November 14 Boston MA, House Of Blues
November 16 Baltimore MD Rams Head Live

Yeah they have made The Orange Peel a regular stop.  I think they've been there every year since 2010, maybe even earlier.  I missed them the last two times, won't miss them again.  

Surprised there's no Philly show since it is more/less their home town.  

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this mini review of the new album.

Dr. Dog - B-Room

Dr. Dog has gotten to the point where its songs sound effortless. It’s not about intricate construction – although there’s nothing sloppy or flawed about any of these songs – but rather a mood. Scott McMicken, the lead guitarist and vocalist, explains it like this: “[…} the sound creates a feeling that is intuitive rather than intellectual.”

And that’s how Dr. Dog songs work. They don’t make your think. They make you feel. In a world where every small wrinkle in plans can become a preoccupation, this Philadelphia crew has given us a refuge from the pains of everyday life.

You turn on B-Room and the problems melt away. Life is instantly sunnier. The songs here swing by, sometimes with an old soul vibe, other times more upbeat, but always with the easygoing attitude that feels like the perfect summer day on a hammock.

The band recorded the album in a brand new studio they built from the ground up in an old silversmith mill. Perhaps leaving behind the studio they’d recorded in for eight years is what gave them the freedom that’s reflected in the spontaneous nature of B-Room.

The country twang of “Phenomenon” is coated with an effervescent chorus. Between fiddle solos, layered harmonies streak across an unforgettable chorus. “You’re always leaving,” McMicken sings, “But you’re never gone/You’re everywhere at once/Like a true phenomenon.” It’s simple, it’s relatable, and it’s everything we’ve come to expect from a band that seems to churn out endless songs that reminisce about the ’60s, but remain rooted in modern times.

Dr. Dog gets funky in “Love,” reprising some of the sharp, jangly pop music they perfected in 2012’s Be the Void. But the band also displays a much more mellow side in the ballad, “Too Weak to Ramble” and the trippy “Twilight,” a very twisted lullaby.

The first single, “The Truth,” is a slow-burning soul song, rooted in the very basics, from the languorous beat to the classic piano tune and synthesizers that seem to hover in the background. It’s one beautiful song on an album full of them. These tunes are ripe and ready for picking, the fruitful results of a band that grows infectious melodies by watering them with good instincts.

http://nomistakeinmixtape.blogspot.com/2013/08/dr-dog-b-room.html

They sneak up on you.  One moment you think they are a pretty fun band, the next you're picking up all of their albums (including the rare stuff) and catching them live anytime you can.  

Is it October yet? 

I played at a festival last weekend and they were the Friday night headliner. It was raining so hard that they moved them to the dance tent. Only 150-200 people showed up. Kind of sad but they actually seemed to have a lot of fun playing on eye level to people in a muddy dance tent. 

They won me over 

• 2 weeks later...

With Be The Void and Shame, Shame it seemed that they would be stronger albums if some of the b-sides replaced some album tracks.

Yes, as often as the albums come, there is always an EP or more of other tracks that didn't make it.

I wish the vinyl came with a CD copy, like their last EP.

Burning my own CD ain't the same.

What version are you going for?

I don't care for a comic book or shirt. If the vinyl had a CD copy, I would go that route no doubt probably.

With Be The Void and Shame, Shame it seemed that they would be stronger albums if some of the b-sides replaced some album tracks.

My buddy had Shame, Shame on at his party the other night.  After it was over I started hearing incredible Dr. Dog songs I'd never heard before.  I peeked at his Ipod to see what this album was I'd never heard of, and it was the deluxe Shame, Shame bonus tracks.  Those songs are so good!

Yes, as often as the albums come, there is always an EP or more of other tracks that didn't make it.

I wish the vinyl came with a CD copy, like their last EP.

Burning my own CD ain't the same.

What version are you going for?

I don't care for a comic book or shirt. If the vinyl had a CD copy, I would go that route no doubt probably.

I do love the albums as they are, but I would agree that Be the Void the track should've been included on the album. The three bonus Shame, Shame tracks (It, What a Strange Day, Oh Man) are great tracks, but I couldn't see where they would fit on the album. The four other tracks (Take Me into Town, Black-Red, Nobody Knows Who You Are, The Sound) were recorded after Shame, Shame and released as an Ep.

Being the huge Dr. Dog fan I am, I went all out and purchased the Deluxe combo package with the shirt, Vinyl, comic book etc. But yeah, I wish it came with a CD copy too.

My buddy had Shame, Shame on at his party the other night. After it was over I started hearing incredible Dr. Dog songs I'd never heard before. I peeked at his Ipod to see what this album was I'd never heard of, and it was the deluxe Shame, Shame bonus tracks. Those songs are so good!

Those tracks are great and for me, they never serm to get old! I play them over and over! Great stuff!