• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I finally got to watch that Livestream.  You can really see how great they are vocally when they play stripped down/acoustic like that.  Digging the new tunes.  

I listened to Easy Beat the other day.  By far my favorite Dr. Dog record.  Really need to own it on Vinyl.  

Hasting's has a pre-order $7.99 for the CD. Get free shipping on pre-orders with code EARLYBIRD.

Tax will be charged. In Texas, some kind of lawsuit made Amazon start charging tax, so I have to pay tax through Amazon anyway.

I pre-ordered this and the new Oneohtrix Point Never.

I don't think I've ever ordered online through Hasting's for a new release, so I'll see how long it takes.

Are they a "ship to get there on release date" type, or a "ship it on release date and get it a lot later and end up going to Hasting's before you get it and see a physical copy there in the store and wish you knew that you would come to the store anyway" type?

I've listened to it once, and my review usually changes after hearing something 3 or 4 times, but I gotta say: it seems kind of boring.  Nothing awful, or lame.  I don't regret any of the music on there... it just kind of passed by with nothing to feel excited about.

I'm definitely going to try it a few more times, Dr. Dog has provided enough joy in my life to deserve a second look at this new record.

I'm waiting until release to hear the whole thing, but I have liked (not loved) the two songs I have heard so far.  

I agree that they really can't go wrong though and every album they release will be solid.  But IMO, their first three albums were the pinnacle of their career and I don't believe they'll ever return to that greatness, which is perfectly ok in my book.  Their live shows are where they really shine.  

I caved.  

First listen, I thought it was a ok.  Then I started listening this morning and I loved it.  Many more listens are required for me to offer my full review though.  

None of the doctor dog albums grabbed me immediately, so this is normal (except for Easy Beat).  

Love love love the new record.  It's your usual Dr. Dog psychedelic/folk rock but there so many interesting things going on.  Several instruments/sounds in every song (a good headphones record) and of course Toby kills it on bass.  I picked up limited deluxe LP which comes with a CD and a 7" of "Humble Passenger". 

A few that stand out:

The Truth is a nice laidback soul tune.  Loved this tune since I heard it months ago.  

Broken Heart - One of the more poppier, nod your head tunes.

Distant Light - Fun song that reminds me of their earlier material from the Easy Beat days. 

Too Weak to Ramble - For some reason this song reminds me of Country Roads.  But the production is amazing.  It's sort of haunting as you can hear Toby's booming voice echo off of the walls of the studio.  

Long Way Down - What can I say.. The deep bass grove.. This song is awesome.  

Love - Another poppy tune with a great hook for the chorus. 

C'mon, what do you guys think after more listens?  Did I kill the thread already?  Was my review that weak?  I'm still loving it.. I listen every day.  

Also, snagged tickets to see them at The Orange Peel (my favorite venue in the world) on Nov. 3rd.   :dancing

• 4 weeks later...

You won't be disappointed.  By far the best live band around.  I saw them Sunday night for the 3rd time and it seems their show just gets better and better.  Alot of switching around instruments going on now..  And if you like to watch drummers,  Eric Slick is phenomenal to see live.  He just sits back and makes it look so easy.  Reminds me of a Ginger Baker.  

The new stuff sounds great live.  I was most impressed by the songs from Be The Void though.  I had never heard them live and they take on a whole new dimension.  Enjoy the show (I know you will).  

So, I have an opportunity to see them next Wednesday. I'll be solo (my friends are lame, my husband can't schedule it), I think just a gentle nudge will be all it takes. Tickets are only $17!

I really want to see them in Boston, but I doubt I'll make it as it's a Thursday night. Bummer.

I've only recently discovered them, and I can't get enough. My wife likes them too. I'm listening to Fate at work right now, in fact.

I really want to see them in Boston, but I doubt I'll make it as it's a Thursday night. Bummer.

I've only recently discovered them, and I can't get enough. My wife likes them too. I'm listening to Fate at work right now, in fact.

This is me peer pressuring you to make the trip!

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to listen to B-Room.

I am having kinda the same reaction to it as I did with Shame, Shame.

I don't think it stinks or anything, and I can't pinpoint as to why, but I'm not really wanting to return to it.

I think I liked the 2nd half more than the first. Still, I've only listened about 2 times so far.

FYI - If you buy Kelloggs products that have those rewards barcodes on them, you can build them up and get MP3 downloads. I assumed it would be crappy artists that I wouldn't want anything from, but I searched Dr Dog just for fun. Turns out that they have not only their albums, but the bonus tracks, too.