• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not too, too worked up about, either --- just wondering.  Usually I find out before hand if I could bring outside wood --- campground policies seem to vary.

In N. IL the policy is mostly there to drive revenue for the campgrounds. Buying overpriced crappy wood is not normally part of my camping experience.

Calm down, dude. Overpriced, crappy wood is the wave of the future. Plus, those campgrounds more than likely need the revenue to help fight off....wait for it...........................................................the ash borer problems!

I say, cut down all the dead and affected trees, cut it into firewood and sell it. Lemons into lemonade.

That's a lot of trees, dude. Doubt they have the resources for that, especially what with people bringing in their own tainted would and all for fires.

I've never taken you seriously, actually.

What campgrounds do you typically go to in No. IL, NOJ?   ((this is  a non-related ash borer question-- I am looking for some nice campgrounds up here)

We typically head down to So. IL when we go camping.

We did stay at the Miss. Palisades a number of times and Apple River Canyon State Park once.

What campgrounds do you typically go to in No. IL, NOJ?   ((this is  a non-related ash borer question-- I am looking for some nice campgrounds up here)

We typically head down to So. IL when we go camping.

We did stay at the Miss. Palisades a number of times and Apple River Canyon State Park once.

Shabbona is nice, gotta keep the down low on the booze though. I like Apple River Canyon SP a lot. No electricity keeps the RVs away. Middle Fork of the Vermillion River, near Kickapoo, is a nice place too. Normally though, I head to a trailer I keep at a sportsmans club I belong to near Wilmington. Its less than an hour from my house, no yahoos blaring Night Ranger and no silly firewood rules.

Oh yeah, I just heard about a county campground called Big Rock in Kane(?) county. I havent been there yet but we're planning on going there this season.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday night, Phil the Fiddler rejoined the Giving Tree Band for an outdoor show in Libertyville. I missed it but am excited about it nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I took the kids to the local prairie to hunt for some monarch caterpillars (not to keep, just to see if we could find some). We mustve checked 150 milkweed plants and didn't find a single one. We have 2 monarch cat's at home which we found in a lil patch of prairie behind a strip mall last Sunday. They eat continuously and are now 8 times the size they were a week ago. I realize now how lucky we were to find them and have also realized that this is quite a responsibility to raise 'em right.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we were lucky to witness the first flight of our monarch butterfly as it took wing on its journey to Mexico. Fare thee well, little guy!

Yesterday, my wife and I's 15th coffee maker in a 20 year relationship bit the dust. This one decided to turn it self on without lighting its indicator light. I found it burning hot last night at 10pm as I went to prepare the morning coffee.