I am thinking about replacing 2 pedals.

One is the used MXR Dyna Comp I've been using for a short time, the other my Fulltone Full Drive 2 that I've had for eons.

anyone really thrilled with their compressor and/or overdrive who would like to share?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I've never actually owned one of these, but they are built and sold by a friend of mine. And I believe that Nels uses one--the the rest of his client list is equally impressive.

Not sure what your budget is, but might be worth a shot. He's a great guy and I know that he knows his shit.

$185

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/ed.html

well i love my fd2 and my dynacomp has been gathering dust ever since i took it out of the box.  anyway, what guitar and what amp?   these things matter....

1988 '62 reissue Strat, 1993 American Tele, 2012 Tweedy SG, through a Vox AC15HW1 and 1993 Fender '59 Bassman Reissue.

The compressor is more for the single coils, and also, since I have a lot of pedals on the board, sometimes it just adds as a signal boost, though I have other options for just the boost.

Now, I've never actually owned one of these, but they are built and sold by a friend of mine. And I believe that Nels uses one--the the rest of his client list is equally impressive.

Not sure what your budget is, but might be worth a shot. He's a great guy and I know that he knows his shit.

$185

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/ed.html

He just posted on his (personal) Facebook page:

"I got a cool email last night from Sonic Youth guitarist/co-founder Lee Ranaldo. He said he's loving his Earth Drive pedal and needs another...  "

too fucking cool.

Disclaimer: I am an acoustic guitar player thru and thru. I have an electric, but it is not an instrument I have really 'connected' with, so to speak. In other words, please take my thoughts with a salt lick.

For OD/Distortion, I love my Fulltone OCD. I love how it responses to attack: more you attack, more drive. Lightly played; no effect at all (seemingly). Great warm natural tone. I would recommend this pedal if you are looking for an OD.

For fun recently, I decided to do one of those pedal mods the kids all talk about on this interwebs. I took a Boss DS-1 and added the Keeley Ultra SEM. While the tone was greatly improved, it still paled in comparison to the OCD ( I know, I know. one is distortion and one is OD; different animals but in the ballpark, no?). Still sounded shrill and harsh. But it was a fun project nonetheless. Combines my guitar interest with my electronics interest. A natural mashup.

For comp, I also have a Boss CS-3 which I dislike immensely. It is noisy and a tone suck, IMHO. I would avoid this one. I might try a mod on this pedal (now that I got my feet wet).

• 2 weeks later...

I have an AC Booster made by xotic effects.  It ranges from subtle boost, to substantial overdrive.  It can't really do metal, but with the gain up all the way and humbuckers it get's pretty saturated.  It has a ton of room to lighten up into shades of dirty/clean gray below that.  It has both a bass and a treble knob for eq and preserves mids, and playing dynamics really well.

I've been thinking about getting a Freakshow Brown Rabbit, because it seems to be a different beast, and also because I like my Freakshow 2010 boost, and Freakshow Ripple Tremolo, and also because the Wilco guys like it, and I like that band.

As for the Fulltone, I always thought it sounded nice.  I had one that was stolen.  For all the different clipping modes, it really seems to do one thing really well and that's it.

Can anyone suggest some cool pedals to investigate for a mostly rhythm electric guitar player? Many of the pedals I have seem to shine best for soloing which I am rarely doing these days (eg, prunes and custard, etc). Just looking for some stuff to check out so any suggestions would be appreciated. I've got a boss distortion pedal, boss compression pedal, and an mxr delay in addition to the p&c.

Thanks all!

Overdrive and fuzz, unless the distortion you have is versatile enough. I like having multiple tone options for rhythm.

Thanks, man. I am not at home, but I think the pedal I have is a Boss OS-2 which is a distortion/overdrive pedal. Do you have any in mind specifically? Mine is fine, I guess but I am curious if others are better.

Anyone familiar with the Beano Boost? What do treble boosters do? I've read a bit on them and it sounds like its a misnomer (ie, it doesn't boost treble).

PedalBoard-1.jpg

I can just talk about what I'm using and a few things that I have in my duffel that don't make it onto the board.

I go into the compressor first.  I keep this on all the time now if I'm using a clean(ish) signal, because this particular compressor has a blend knob that allows me to get rid of the squashing to the extent I want to.  LOVE what it does to my clean sounds.  Adds some sustain and helps boost weak parts of the signal, but doesn't annoyingly squash attack when I want it.

then I go through the filter, the phaser and whatever the deja-vibe can be described as (phaser with uni-vibe tendencies).  I use the filter to add a twist to solo stuff mostly.  the phaser and vibe are pretty song specific.

For distorted sounds I go through the Joyo Ultimate Octave (this is a knock off of the Fulltone OCD.  I have been really happy with this Joyo pedal--the company makes a ton of knock-offs of really good pedals and they're all dirt cheap.  I will buy more gadgets from this company).  The Joyo is just a nice distortion that I keep at low gain and fairly bright tone, so it's harsher than an overdrive but still really keeps the character of notes and chords.

Then I go to the Rat, which I have set at darker tones and higher gain.  Then to the chunky cheese, which is a lovetone big cheese knock-off, which is a fantastic fuzz that breaks up, almost Neil Young-style.  it also has a bizarro setting where the volume chunks off depending on how you set it.  I use this for some wilco stuff that is on the fuzzier side, and when I really want to drive the tubes in my amp.

Then I go into the Fulltone Fulldrive II.  I have an ancient one that doesn't have the mosfet settings, but it's still a great pedal.  I keep the drive really low on this and the tone bright, so that with my amp's natural break-up I get a great overdrive sound that is still very clear tonally.

From there I go through the octave, chorus and tremolo.  I use the octave on settings that basically rip off Prince and Neil Young; the chorus is set to be thick and a little warbly--the opposite of cheesy 80s stereo chorus;  I use about half a dozen settings on the tremolo.  As far as a rhythm pedal, you may really want to check out a few tremolo pedals.  when not used obnoxiously (see wah pedal), I really love the texture a tremolo adds.  I've been using it more and more since I became a fanatic about the Shouting Matches.

Then I go through analog delay and digital delay; then to reverb.  I use all three on various rhythm and solo stuff.  settings changing from song to song.  I can't say enough good things about all three of these pedals and will not be parting with any of them.

Finally I have a clean boost for solos.

I have another half dozen or so overdrives, distortions and fuzzes, and I go through phases with them.  I love to play around with the Zvez Fuzz Factory, Fulltone Ultimate Octave and Prunes N Custard, but I just don't use them enough to put them on the board.  Recently sold a Swollen Pickle Fuzz because it just had too many settings and I ended up dicking around with dialing in a tone much more than just playing through it.

anyway, just a bit about what I use.  good to see you around, Matt.

Thanks, man. I am not at home, but I think the pedal I have is a Boss OS-2 which is a distortion/overdrive pedal. Do you have any in mind specifically? Mine is fine, I guess but I am curious if others are better.

Anyone familiar with the Beano Boost? What do treble boosters do? I've read a bit on them and it sounds like its a misnomer (ie, it doesn't boost treble).

My bandmate had a Beano Boost for a while.  It's based on the Rangemaster which is kind of the classic treble booster, I believe Jimmy Page helped make it famous.  The intention is to add a lot of high frequencies while boosting the tone, so your guitar hits your amp harder and overdrives it with extra brightness to cut through the band.  It can be pretty damn bright.

As for all around rhythm stuff you probably want an overdrive.  There are so many boutique options that will smoke your Boss, but cost a good deal more.  I would look at any Analogman, Freakshow, Xotic, Fulltone, Keeley stuff.... so many great companies out there.  Here's a good source for pedals:

http://pedalgeek.com/

Thanks lost highway.

I went with a Durham Zia Drive.  Seems to get great reviews.  And their description of it says that it is the ultimate rhythm guitar pedal.  I fell for the (probably) bs sales pitch.  Got one used on ebay for 129.99.

I'll report back.  It's supposed to have a Stonesy/Keef crunch.

I find myself moving away from pedals.  I'm currently at three, a fuzz face clone, a timmy od and a tuner.  I miss the trem and delay a bit, but I have trem on my amp and i only ever really used the delay for slapback.  What I don't miss is lugging all that shit around.  And, I've found that by using the guitar volume knob i can get most (ok, all) the tones I need anyway.

I'd still like to try a hotcake, though, since i use a vox...

• 2 weeks later...