I own four acoustic guitars and haven't picked up an electric guitar since I borrowed a Tele for a gig last year. I've found my playing has gotten a lot better when I've focused on working out solo acoustic arrangements of my favorite tunes. But there are those days when I wish I could spend a few hours messing around on a pedal board like Atticus's. In high school I had 3-4 pedals and lusted over many others, but have slowly scaled back to none. :-)

Still fun to read this thread and see what everyone else is digging.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the only stomp box that I use:
TurboRat.jpg

For nasty, nasty solos and a few other things, it's dead-perfect. On the higher settings, you can actually hear the signal breaking apart. Damn impressive. Yeah, I know that it's not a "boutique" pedal or anything, but I love it.

Although, I have to admit that, for what I am doing these days, it's not so practical. I probably need something more subtle like that Sarno Earth Drive pedal that I posted about on page 1.

And, I used to have one of these things, too:

RussianMuff.jpg

Yeah, the original Russian-built model that came in the big, wooden box. A thicker, meatier fuzz/distortion there has never been, I do not believe.

Sadly, I lost it when a water line burst in my rehearsal space and have not yet been able to replace it.

I think that I paid $50 for it, new. And now I'm seeing them going for close to 10-times that much on eBay! DAMNIT!!!

Modded Rats (better components) are still hugely popular. My board has some boutique stuff but I've got a $30 joyo and some run of the mill Boss stuff. I don't care what label is on the pedal if it makes the sounds I want

I own four acoustic guitars and haven't picked up an electric guitar since I borrowed a Tele for a gig last year. I've found my playing has gotten a lot better when I've focused on working out solo acoustic arrangements of my favorite tunes. 

Until I got my Tele a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't playing anything but acoustic either, for the most part. And I agree: it's made me a better guitar player -- working out solo/acoustic arrangements of my OWN tunes.

Turbo Rat has more gain and is a bit nastier.

The Tele: I'm playing it through a Peavy Delta Blues 1x15:

peavey-delta-blues-115-524464.jpg

61Z22XOjnJL.jpg

I started watching this last night, got about 2/3 through before I had to go to bed. Anyone else see this? It's pretty interesting so far. Good mix of player and designer interviews, along with short snippets of the effects being talked about being used to give context.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to pick up one of these sometime. Could come in handy.

1458572_10152288296713431_717953375_n.jp

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20140808_193533_zps6ce893d0.jpg

Saw a blues guitarist named Samantha Fish that had a great tone so I took a picture of her pedals.  I figured out the one on the right is a Mojohand FX Rook Overdrive, Texas edition.  Middle one obviously a tuner.  Any idea what the one on the left is?

Edit: She was using Category 5 Amps that looked pretty nice as well.

She does a rig rundown in this video. Looks like she's changed her board since then though...

20140808_193533_zps6ce893d0.jpg

Saw a blues guitarist named Samantha Fish that had a great tone so I took a picture of her pedals.  I figured out the one on the right is a Mojohand FX Rook Overdrive, Texas edition.  Middle one obviously a tuner.  Any idea what the one on the left is?

Edit: She was using Category 5 Amps that looked pretty nice as well.

I'm guessing it's a boost of some kind.  I've asked the gurus at TGP.  Will report back.

here it is

A poster on the gear page found it.

Ah, many thanks!  So she has an overdrive, a fuzz, a wah, and a tuner.  She got some pretty amazing tones, and apparently the clean sound was just her amp.  Why can I never get that kind of tone out of a 99 dollar fuzz?

The tone is in the player.  

I always refer back to the story of a roadie that got to play Eddie Van Halen's rig on stage one time before a show.  He said it sounded/felt terrible.  Then Eddie picked it up and made it scream..