musicians are not holy deities

This reminds me of something a guy I used to work with said about a top IBM executive who gave him a hard time once while my friend was janitor-ing: "He shits out of his asshole, just like everybody else."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by no means are these people worth "worshiping." while they may be assholes, assholes can still make good music. as for myself, I'm not going to dislike someone's music because of their personal life. maybe I should, but I usually don't. I love James Brown's music and we all know that he abused women and drugs. it's a shame really.

Most ridiculously talented people are assholes.

I'd amend that to "most ridiculously talented people who follow through on their immense talents as a way of life become assholes because of their devotion to said talent."

by no means are these people worth "worshiping." while they may be assholes, assholes can still make good music. as for myself, I'm not going to dislike someone's music because of their personal life. maybe I should, but I usually don't. I love James Brown's music and we all know that he abused women and drugs. it's a shame really.

Yup. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to separate the art from the artist - and it's not always easy. There are several biographies that I wish I'd never read.

Really, nothing is worth worshipping - least of all people. Music comes pretty close for me, though.

I'd amend that to "most ridiculously talented people who follow through on their immense talents as a way of life become assholes because of their devotion to said talent."

Too wordy.

False!

Jerry Garcia is indeed a high holy deity.

Regarding his being worshipped like a God by Deadheads, Garcia's quote (one of my favorites) was "I'll put up with it until they come for me with the cross and nails".

Most ridiculously talented people are assholes.

Possibly, yet musicians seem to get more of a pass on this than ridiculously talented people in other fields. For example, Ben Roethlesbirger is ridiculously talented.