Poll: giving money to homeless/panhandlers

giving money to the homeless/panhandlers  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give money to homeless persons/panhandlers?

• Yes, on a regular/fairly regular basis
    • Yes, but only under certain circumstances
    • No, because I don't think it helps
    • No, for some other reason
    • No, for no particular reason

I like to give the benefit of the doubt and I always say that we dont know the whole story... But if you're asking for money cuz you're "homeless" you should at least look the part. 

St. Anthony's here runs a clothing program.  Anyone who wants to can go in once a month and get a complete set of clothes.  I volunteered in the sorting room for a while, you wouldn't believe the really silly, expensive stuff that gets donated.  Barely worn shoes are the best-case scenario, but people donate party dresses, swim suits, all kinds of nonsense.  If that guy got a nice pair of sneakers from a program like this, and some drunk dude out on a Friday night handed him a pair of Oakleys... it's not too hard to see how someone wouldn't look the part, but still couldn't make rent.

Generally giving money directly to homeless people is a bad idea. I stopped doing it when a good friend who worked with the homeless suggested most spare change goes directly to drugs or alcohol. I do occasionally give individuals spare change when I feel I need a karma update or the person looks fairly together, or maybe totally out of it. It's hard not to sometimes, but as a general rule it is probably not a good idea.

LouieB

Probably better to just give them drugs and alcohol directly and cut out the middleman.

Generally giving money directly to homeless people is a bad idea. I stopped doing it when a good friend who worked with the homeless suggested most spare change goes directly to drugs or alcohol. I do occasionally give individuals spare change when I feel I need a karma update or the person looks fairly together, or maybe totally out of it. It's hard not to sometimes, but as a general rule it is probably not a good idea.

LouieB

I pretty sure the guy I give to isn't on drugs or alcohol. I remember when he first showed up on the street. you could tell he had had a good job and was let go because of the downfall of the economy. he's still out there. he never looks messed up or shady and he's young. it's just so sad, all I want to do is help him. I wish I could do more.

Probably better to just give them drugs and alcohol directly and cut out the middleman.

But if I gave these away or gave my money away I fear I'd end up on a street corner somewhere begging for more drugs or alcohol or money.....

It's a vicious cycle. Perhaps Obama could win back some of his lost popularity by setting up a program of federal subsidies for drugs and alcohol. There could be a website.

• 3 weeks later...

Govt weed > govt cheese

As of Jan 1 anyone over age 21 can buy weed in a weed shop here. It's already legal to carry up to an ounce on you and to grow up to 12 plants per household (or more, depending on the number of adults in the house). Last night the Denver City Board opted to allow adults to smoke weed in the open as long as it's on private property. 

All these things are better than gov't cheese, and I love cheese.

And I live in the state with the most restrictive rules on MMJ in the entire nation.

Yeah, they've basically tossed out the need for a MMJ license, though I suppose those that still need one will keep/get one because of insurance/discounts/etc.

Maybe people will start handing out joints to the homeless.

MMJ is legal in New York - I saw them at SPAC this summer!

I hardly carry cash these days, so most of the time I won't give them money.

When I was a kid, maybe 6 or so, my dad took us to McDonald's for a birthday party, and there was a lady on the corner with a sign asking for money to feed her kids. Dad went through the drive-thru on our way out and bought her 10 cheeseburgers. He gave them to her and the woman just started crying and said "thank you" over and over again and said we were the first people to stop. I don't think I will ever forget that. 

A few years ago around this time of year a woman approached me as I was getting on the elevator of the parking garage and she asked for money. I didn't have any, but I had a bag of chips and a pudding or something left from lunch. I offered it to her, and she scowled at me and said "I don't need that shit I need money" and walked away. Boggled my mind. 

I hardly carry cash these days, so most of the time I won't give them money.

When I was a kid, maybe 6 or so, my dad took us to McDonald's for a birthday party, and there was a lady on the corner with a sign asking for money to feed her kids. Dad went through the drive-thru on our way out and bought her 10 cheeseburgers. He gave them to her and the woman just started crying and said "thank you" over and over again and said we were the first people to stop. I don't think I will ever forget that. 

A few years ago around this time of year a woman approached me as I was getting on the elevator of the parking garage and she asked for money. I didn't have any, but I had a bag of chips and a pudding or something left from lunch. I offered it to her, and she scowled at me and said "I don't need that shit I need money" and walked away. Boggled my mind. 

You can usually find someone to give you food, but drug dealers almost always want cash.