Glenn Kotche- "A Beat A Week" Drum Book

I know there are several musicians here on the board, so I thought I would share this. 

Apparently, Glenn put out a book that's sort of a drum instructional. It goes through how he came up with beats to a bunch of wilco songs as well as the ways he applied classical technique to the drum set.

Very neat! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM68hDQOR24

Link for the book:

http://www.alfred.com/Products/A-Beat-a-Week--00-42256.aspx

I clicked on the PDF link that shows a few sample pages from the book and damn! I know literally nothing about reading music or playing drums, but if I did, I can imagine I would find this stuff fascinating. There's a lot going on in that pretty noggin of Glenn's.

It's very interesting. I took a beginner percussion class in college and played on the front line ensemble in high school so i know how to read percussion music. I am probably gonna buy this book with money from Christmas just to get some insight into Glenn's chops. I think it's really cool he put out a book like this. it'd be like Jeff putting out a book of why he picked certain lyrics or chords. 

Glen is obviously an amazing musician.  I'm trying to figure out why his hi-hat stand is so wobbly.   Hi-hat stands tend to be among the sturdiest pieces of hardware on a drum kit, so it's weird that his sways all over the place.

Is there any question that Glenn is by far and away the most musical drummer in contemporary "rock" music?

Just inspiring.

Ken Coomer close second??

Totally agree with your comment. I don't know any band where people (non-drummers anyway) choose their seating/viewing position based on the drummer, but I've seen people go to the balcony so they can take all of Glenn's work in better.

Maybe he keeps it loose to get extra vibration or extra resonance or it distorts the pitch or something? 

Maybe.   I'd be interested to see a close up photo of that kit.  It could be that he uses a tripod-less hi-hat stand so he'll have floor space for stands that hold some of his other stuff.