Has Jeff ever mentioned Ryan Adams?

I have collected tons of Tweedy/Wilco shows, and have watched a ton more on YouTube. I've heard Jeff talk about a lot of singers from James Brown, to Jay Farrar, to Andrew Bird. However, I have never once heard him mention Ryan Adams or even Whiskeytown. Ryan Adams had a famous quip about Jeff in his rant to Jim DeRogatis (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTUXBbaFjE), and there are a few interviews where he mentions Tweedy (one where he says he is better than Tweedy again).

Anyway, does anyone know of any time when Jeff mentions Ryan? I would love to hear what he has to say about him.

I can't remember if it's the Wilco show at the Fillmore in May 1997 or their two-night run at First Avenue in October in Minneapolis that same year, but on one of those live recordings, Tweedy does make a Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown comment.

If you've read Learning How to Die, you may recall that toward the end of the Being There tour, the band had grown tired of Bob Egan's pedal steel playing and was prepared to give him the boot. At one of the aforementioned shows, during the Kingpin jam, Tweedy makes a remark about how Bob is a "real c*cksucker" and how that pedal isn't welcome in Wilco anymore. He then says something to the effect of "this is our way of saying you're probably not going to be out with us next year" and he can take that sound over to Whiskeytown. Then, in his worn-out, cigarette-burned voice, he wails "excuuuuuuuuse me while I break wind tonight..."

The story of how bob got fired made me laugh so hard. Jeff can be such an d bottle. Seriouly poor bob. Anyway i know jeff had mentioned that he knew his days at reprise were pretty much over when he walked into the lobby at the label's headquarters and there was a giant ryan adams poster above the receptionist's desk. Wilco never did get that wallflowers sound going for them. Darn

^ That's hilarious!

These two pretty much my 1a and my 1b. They're different enough where I can see their fans feuding. Sad seeing that they aren't that fond of each other either. 

They are my 1a and 1b also. But I am a bit picky on what ryan era I listen to. Anything cardinal based especially easy tiger and cold roses. I would call the grateful dead 1a+ as my obsession with them was first and jeff and company came next.

I just don't understand why they don't get along. You'd think they'd be great friends. Adams and Tweedy are both two of my favorite musicians and songwriters ever. Its weird to see them openly not like each other.

I don't think it's that they don't get along. I'm not sure they have ever even met. I think it's just Whiskeytown and Uncle Tupelo were sort of rivals back in the day, and Ryan is pretty well known for being wild and disrespectful towards other artists. Jeff was too back then, but to a much lesser extent. Their fan bases over lap since they play kind of similar music.

I don't think it's that they don't get along. I'm not sure they have ever even met. I think it's just Whiskeytown and Uncle Tupelo were sort of rivals back in the day, and Ryan is pretty well known for being wild and disrespectful towards other artists. Jeff was too back then, but to a much lesser extent. Their fan bases over lap since they play kind of similar music.

Uncle Tupelo broke up in 1994 the year Whiskeytown began.