Your top 10 lesser know bands

I don't know if i can name ten.

Hospitality is a band I have liked very much since their first album came out two years ago.  It surprises me that none of my friends or acquaintances (who go to exponentially more shows than me, and spend exponentially more time and money on current music than I do) don't know about them. 

I wouldn't be so vain as to think that I was the ONLY one who knows them, but lesser known, for sure.

In no particular order:

• Shrimp Boat  -- the original band of Sam Prekop (The Sea and Cake)
  • The Flavor Channel -- another Chicago band from the 90s
  • Martin Newell/Cleaners From Venus -- English home recording maven who has worked with Andy Partridge (XTC)
  • Tom Zé  -- Brazilian Tropicalia madman
  • ©  -- Vancouver post-punk band
  • Frederick Knight  -- Deep south soul singer who had a minor hit with "I've Been Lonely For So Long"
  • Falstaff  -- The offshoot band from Shrimp Boat (above) who is NOT The Sea and Cake
  • Green  -- Chicago power pop shoulda been legends
  • Happy Ashtray  -- A friend of mine who is a brilliant musician and has one of my favorite voices, ever
  • House of Freaks  -- Southern gothic alternative rock from the late 80s/early 90s
  • Dogbowl -- Original member of King Missile who has had an insane, weird solo career
  • The Judy's  -- New wave geek pop from Texas
  • Roy Wood  -- Founding member of ELO who has been amazing as a solo artist. And occasionally amazingly weird.
  • The Plugz  -- You might know them from the Repo Man soundtrack
  • Slapp Happy  -- Damaged German art rock from the 70s
  • Squ!re  -- Contemporaries of The Jam, with a similar Mod thing.
  • Tenpole Tudor  -- Ridiculous UK pub rock with anthemic hooks and a medieval swordplay theme
  • Tonio K.  -- Like Graham Parker with gonorrhea.

Are some of these too well-known to qualify as lesser-known? I don't know.

Tom Zé hasn't sold a lot of records, but he's been pretty influential in Brazil.

Roy Wood? Maybe not totally well-known here, but in England he is seen as a God by some. And you may know his first band, The Move. If not, you certainly know the other band he founded: ELO.

But, you know, who's to say?

What bands do you love but think no one else you know knows of them?

No particular order

1. Firewater

2. From Good Homes

3. Gibb Droll

4. Lake Trout

5. Ours

6. Thanks to Gravity

7. Jump, Little Children

8. God Street Wine

9. Art Brut

10. Push Stars

I know 5 of these.

What bands do you love but think no one else you know knows of them?

No particular order

1. Firewater

2. From Good Homes

3. Gibb Droll

4. Lake Trout

5. Ours

6. Thanks to Gravity

7. Jump, Little Children

8. God Street Wine

9. Art Brut

10. Push Stars

I've heard OF several of these, but don't know that I've actually heard any of them.

Cool..I would venture most know less but glad to share in the fun...you like any of them?

Just to clarify I am not saying I am the only one who knows these bands but most folks would say who?? When I mention the band.

Lake Trout plays out here every now and again, caught them once or twice. Saw From Good Homes many years ago. Gibb Droll, too. God Street Wine got back together briefly over the holidays. Can't say I'm, a big fan of any oof them but decent enough music.....

Lake Trout plays out here every now and again, caught them once or twice. Saw From Good Homes many years ago. Gibb Droll, too. God Street Wine got back together briefly over the holidays. Can't say I'm, a big fan of any oof them but decent enough music.....

You live in Baltimore??? Gibb Droll shreds I wish he found more success...cool carry on..

BTW Spandex Hats! Ha fun name

i have a lot of music nerd friends so it's not like these are complete mysteries to them, but here goes...i've added links to youtube samples so you can do some checking out on yr own.

Steven R Smith (amazing guitar player that has played with Thuja as well as a handful of solo projects under various names)

Year Of No Light - great French post-rock/metal band

Golden Void - offshoot of Earthless, total psych guitar godhead (note - i shot this vid @ Hopscotch this past summer)

Grouper - one of my favorite atmospheric performers.

Able Tasmans - one of the lesser known New Zealand bands, which is a shame. lovely melodies and textured songs.

Grifters - one of the better bands of the 90s that did the lo-fi/slightly noisy thing, and also one that hasn't reunited (aside from a one-off they did recently in memphis)

Agitation Free - if you say Krautrock, some people may know of Can, Neu! or Faust, but this band (along w/ Amon Duul II, Guru Guru, etc) shouldn't be ignored

The Walkabouts - Sub Pop said it best - "sensitive hippies with big amps". should be much more well-known

Sad Lovers and Giants - there's an article about them in the new issue of The Big Takeover. a classic, long-lost band from Britain's post-punk era, with tinges of goth and psych

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - a glorious mix of noise, rock, pop and whatever else this multi-talented crew thought up. was totally amazed to see them regroup for three shows in 2011, all of which I managed to get to see. i can't think of another band who sounds like them.

good thread idea. i hope at least one person picks up on one of these bands.

Grifters - one of the better bands of the 90s that did the lo-fi/slightly noisy thing, and also one that hasn't reunited (aside from a one-off they did recently in memphis)

Saw then at the Lounge Ax in Chicago back in the 90s. Excellent band.

You live in Baltimore??? Gibb Droll shreds I wish he found more success...cool carry on..

BTW Spandex Hats! Ha fun name

I was thinking of Trout Fishing in America, which I should have remembered as it's taken from the Richard Brautigan book. My bad.

Here are a few I have discovered over the years...no particular order.

Bands: 

Royal Trux

Circuit Riders

Swans

Catfish Jenkins

Augie March

3osity (jazz)

Hank Dogs

Kula Shaker

The Nields

The Bevis Frond

For Stars

Solo artists:

David Behrman

Patty Larkin

Jonatha Brooke

Kate Rusby

Kendra Smith

Tom Cochrane

Kate Wolf

Miranda Lee Richards

Cassandra Wilson

i only saw the Grifters once...weird show. it was at the Sam Adams brewery and they had free BBQ. Scud Mountain Boys also played. i recall Joyce Linehan (currently on Mayor Walsh's staff!) put it together as some sort of Sub Pop promo thing...it wasn't open to the public.

Tinnitus - did you ever see the Cows in their heyday? (90s?) Minneapolis noise band, for lack of a better term. 

Here are a few I have discovered over the years...no particular order.

Bands: 

The Nields

Seen them before. The sisters and the 2 Daves..... Gotta Get Over Greta got a lot of spins from me in mid-late 90s.....

Seen them before. The sisters and the 2 Daves..... Gotta Get Over Greta got a lot of spins from me in mid-late 90s.....

They were looking like they would break through nationally for a while. I saw them at a health food store called Cheese 'n Stuff when it was just the two sisters. Good times.

Here's mine:

Gimp Saddle

The David Carradine Closet Project

Puck & Pedro

Wine Hole

Omaha! Omaha!

The Swing Meat Trio

Hansel and Grendel

Spandex Hats

Punch Gunnt

Catch Me If You Can

fine artists all.