Your Favorite Big Shows and Favorite Small Shows

Small

Pixies (with Galaxie 500 opening) at the Rat in Boston 12/88

Arcade Fire at the Roxy in Boston 2/05

Richard Thompson at the Paradise in Boston Spring of 91

Feelies at Maxwell's in Hoboken 12/87

Medium

Wilco - An Evening With at the Orpheum in Boston

Magnetic Fields doing all of 69 Love Songs Alice Tully Hall in NYC 3/02 (or Somerville Theater 12/00)

Sufjan Stevens - seen him twice in theaters (Somerville Theater and Orpheum) and they were both amazing

Large

Talking Heads Portland Maine 8/83

Grateful Dead various '80 through '86

Wilco (and others) Newport Folk Festival 8/04

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my small club musical regret. August '75, living at home on LI before going off to college. My brother, 6 years older, tries to get me to go with him to the Bottom Line to see this guy Bruce Springsteen. I'm more interested in hanging with my girlfriend and friends and blow him off. Next morning he tells me what an idiot I am, and he's going again and this time I should go with him. Again, I take a pass. I haven't been into Bruce for years now, but i still regret those 2 decisions.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

You know, I barely remember.  It was in Justin Herman plaza (same place U2 got in trouble for spray painting a sculpure during a show) and was one of those free radio station sponsored events (Live 105), July 11, 1993.  I remember the mighty mighty bosstones were there and the trashcan sinatras.

I found the setlist online for Yorke:

Sing a song for you (Tim Buckley cover)

Thinking about you

Killer cars

Creep

I could have easily gone up and chatted with him I'm sure but it never occurred to me.  Nobody had any idea what Radiohead would become at that point.

Ah who knows at the time but still pretty cool..Good setlist too love Killer Cars and Thinking About you

damn dude that was post Born to Run that is BRUTAL!!

Actually, the shows were right before Born to Run was released.  Ten shows over 5 nights.  I think these are the shows that led to the famous line "I've seen the future of rock n roll and his name is Bruce Springsteen." The thing is I liked Bruce at the time, listened to The Wild The Innocent... all the time, I was just too lame to leave my girlfriend for the night and go with my brother.  BRUTAL is right.

Actually, the shows were right before Born to Run was released.  Ten shows over 5 nights.  I think these are the shows that led to the famous line "I've seen the future of rock n roll and his name is Bruce Springsteen."

That quote was from 1974 based on a show at the Harvard Square Theater in Cambridge.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030202021626/http://home.theboots.net/theboots/articles/future.html

That quote was from 1974 based on a show at the Harvard Square Theater in Cambridge.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030202021626/http://home.theboots.net/theboots/articles/future.html

Right.  I stand corrected then, I was referring to the Bottom Line shows in July 1974.  Those were the shows I passed on, 2 nights in a row.  My brother was clued in, I was clueless.  All for what turned out to be a lousy girlfriend, what a waste.

Oh yeah, I saw the reunited Big Star in 1994 at Metro in Chicago.

Alex was inspired that night and actually seemed like he cared enough to deliver the goods. And he did. And so did the rest of the band. An amazing show.

I also happened to find a recording of that very show on CD in the record store that is right next to Metro, so I can re-live it over and over. And I frequently do.

• 9 months later...

I tried compiling a list of the shows and concerts I've attended since starting to go to shows in the mid-80s, mainly because I was curious how many I had attended, it must number in the 300-400 region (I used to save the ticket stubs, wish I still had them!) There's been a lot of great ones, but some that stand out:

"Big" shows:

Van Halen, 5150 tour, Summer '86

RHCP/Smashing Pumpkins/Pearl Jam, Troy, NY, Nov. '91

Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson, Cooperstown, August '04

Dylan/Levon Helm Band/Gillian Welch,SPAC, 2008

Americanarama, SPAC, 2013

"Small" shows:

Stevie Ray Vaughan, at a college on Long Island, Feb. '87

Golden Smog, Irving Plaza, Dec 98 (my first time seeing Jeff perform)

Beck, Town Hall in NYC, Jan '99

Wilco/Vic Chesnutt, Irving Plaza, April '99

Mercury Rev/Sparklehorse, Bearsville Theatre, June '99

So many more! But these were formative.....

Right. I stand corrected then, I was referring to the Bottom Line shows in July 1974. Those were the shows I passed on, 2 nights in a row. My brother was clued in, I was clueless. All for what turned out to be a lousy girlfriend, what a waste.

Next time he played Biston after that he moved

up to the legendary 5 night stand at the Music hall

Follows up by his 1 st appearance at the *Boston Garden on his next visit. * my first time

Sorry you missed out I have a similar regret not going wit a buddy to the end of the 99 reunion run at Madison Sq. However I do a trip to Albany& CT*and went 4/5 of te Boston Run

* he played Darlington County/ Honky Tonk Women mashup that he's only done 3 x in 30 yrs