Jason Isbell to reunite with Drive-By Truckers for benefit.

I have to admit I have not bought the last few DBT records. I saw them recently though.

LouieB

I am new to the DBT over the last several months ( found my way to them after listening to Southeastern) so I don't have years of experience with them although I do have most of the catalogue now, I think the new album is excellent. I don't know what their fan base thinks, but I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if I'd call it a return to form, mainly because they've evolved through very distinct eras with different sounds and lineups -- so to which point does it return? Not sure. I know there are a few folks here who refer to The Dirty South as their last great record; others say BTCD is the last great Truckers record, although that record - which is terrific - also was more than a little bloated. It could have had 4-6 songs trimmed off and been a true classic.

I'd say top-to-bottom EO is probably their strongest and most balanced since BTCD. EO is definitely more muscular than Go Go Boots but it still has some quiet moments. I really liked the stripped-down approach of GGB record and enjoyed hearing them explore another side of themselves. But I do dig the sound of the new record quite a bit.

I first discovered DBT around the time of Decoration Day/Dirty South and have been a big fan ever since. As they moved out of the Isbell era and began exploring more styles and dynamics in their music, I think they became more tuneful and even more interesting. Don't get me wrong -- I love the three-guitar assault of the old days -- but the Truckers of today can still bring it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a copy of Isbell's Here We Rest. It's pretty good...not sure he could retain my interest for an entire album at one sitting, but the guy is decent. At times he reminds me a bit of Brent Mydland of the Grateful Dead in his vocal range and inflections, oddly enough. I will dig more into his stuff and see what I think. I'm guessing Southeastern is the one people recommend the most.

Just picked up a copy of Isbell's Here We Rest. It's pretty good...not sure he could retain my interest for an entire album at one sitting, but the guy is decent. At times he reminds me a bit of Brent Mydland of the Grateful Dead in his vocal range and inflections, oddly enough. I will dig more into his stuff and see what I think. I'm guessing Southeastern is the one people recommend the most.

I would check out Southeastern. Not necessarily sure it will do it for you, but I have only heard one other record he has one and it was uneven at best. Southeastern has stood up to repeated listenings for me, but then again I rarely relisten to anything any more.

LouieB

I really love all the DBT records, but the newest one is probably third to least favorite, 2nd being Pizza deliverance and 1st being The big to do. That being said, it is probably my favorite new album of the year so far.  It isn't it's fault, just the nature of a band with so many fantastic records.  On that note, I really don't get the hate for GGB some people have....

In other news, I was eating at my favorite mexican place in town, Taco Bus, when I noticed Patterson Hood and Jay Gonzalez were eating a couple booths down from me!  I told them I was super excited for their show that night and we talked about record stores.  Definitely one of my least awkward run ins with a musical hero of mine!

I really love all the DBT records, but the newest one is probably third to least favorite, 2nd being Pizza deliverance and 1st being The big to do. That being said, it is probably my favorite new album of the year so far.  It isn't it's fault, just the nature of a band with so many fantastic records.  On that note, I really don't get the hate for GGB some people have....

In other news, I was eating at my favorite mexican place in town, Taco Bus, when I noticed Patterson Hood and Jay Gonzalez were eating a couple booths down from me!  I told them I was super excited for their show that night and we talked about record stores.  Definitely one of my least awkward run ins with a musical hero of mine!

yeah, patterson is the absolute real genuine deal.  very kind and gracious.

This show was beyond great.  Really once in a lifetime stuff.

Tornadoes
Carl Perkins Cadillac
Decoration Day
Heathens
Eyes Like Glue
TVA
Puttin People On The Moon
Marry Me
Goddamned Lonely Love
My Sweet Annette
Women Without Whiskey
Outfit
Daddy Needs A Drink
Self Destructive Zones
Cover Me Up
The Living Bubba
Space City
Danko/Manuel
Grand Canyon
Cartoon Gold
Alabama Pines

Zip City
Never Gonna Change
Let There Be Rock
Keep On Smiling

I got to meet all three after the show and they were just as nice and gracious as could be, especially after just stepping off stage.

Here's a few videos, too.

Decoration Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISA9YAwNXI

Heathens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-0nkDl6NnY

Outfit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCd14ngsw2g

Cover Me Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W0LuueGdf0

Grand Canyon & Cartoon Gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn0bBhBrXMg

Alabama Pines