Bands who have one album that doesn't quite fit in to their catelog

Are there bands who have that one out there album that doesn't fit into the catalog? A real head scratcher? Here are my nominations

1 U2-Pop. Elctronic music..huh.. You know what I love it. It was a good risk. It is actually my 3rd favorite album of theirs.

2. R.E.M.- Moster...lots of guitar feedback/loud/abrasive etc. I still like it however it is just crazy this was the follow up to Automatic

3. The Cure- The Top..Odd odd songs. Heroin must have started kicking in then. Still love Bannanfishbones, Dressing up etc

4. Phish- Hoist- Certainly most radio friendly Phish.

5. Blur-13 Spacey, trippy, odd. It works

6. The Charlatans UK-Wonderland Tim goes falsetto!

7. Medeski Martin and Wood- Combustication hey they have a dj! Love it!

8. The Strokes-Comedown Machine..what is this??

Neil Young-Trans (of course he has lots of albums that don't fit) :-)

is sweetheart really that out of place among their other country rock albums? i do think its better (not their best though. i love gram but as the byrds go gene clark is the guy for me) but i dont think it fits in this thread

I'd say Notorious Byrd Brothers is a bit more out of place than Sweetheart.

Los Lobos - La Pistola y El Corazon

I suppose that, in some ways, it does fit. But still, an entire album of nothing but traditional Mexican tunes, played on all traditional acoustic Mexican instruments… not quite the same thing.

Nonetheless, a brilliant record.

also:

Yo La Tengo - Fakebook

Another brilliant departure. Mostly acoustic recordings, but definitely all laid back. Of mostly cover songs.

is sweetheart really that out of place among their other country rock albums? i do think its better (not their best though. i love gram but as the byrds go gene clark is the guy for me) but i dont think it fits in this thread

I thought Sweetheart was a blatant country album while their others were more poppy-jangly but what do I know?

Couple others:

Joni Mitchell - Mingus - Way weirder and jazzier than anything before or after.

Paul Simon - Songs from The Capeman - Failed Broadway musical? Wtf, Paul?

Phil Ochs - Gunfight At Carnegie Hall - Confrontational live versions of Elvis and Buddy Holly tunes. Essential, but only if you're in the mood.

Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request

Yeah I guess --- would you say the Beatles Sgt. Peppers, too, then? The Beatles touched on the theme with Tomorrow Never Knows, I guess. The closest song to a psychedelic song for the Stone prior to Request was "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?"

Uggg... all that JPJ synth. 

I happen to love In Through the Out Door!

Yes, it's pop. But, it's Led Zeppelin doing pop. And it's damn good pop!

"Fool In the Rain"? "All of My Love"?

Seriously?

How could you not love those songs?

Couple others:

Joni Mitchell - Mingus - Way weirder and jazzier than anything before or after.

Paul Simon - Songs from The Capeman - Failed Broadway musical? Wtf, Paul?

Phil Ochs - Gunfight At Carnegie Hall - Confrontational live versions of Elvis and Buddy Holly tunes. Essential, but only if you're in the mood.

Good call on these.

Although Joni certainly did have some jazz oriented material later in her career.

LouieB

• 1 month later...