Those one hit wonder bands/artist you enjoy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrone Davis ("Turn Back the Hands Of Time")

Frederick Knight ("I've Been Lonely For So Long")

Nick Lowe ("Cruel to Be Kind") -- at least in the US.

This whole one hit wonders thing seems a bit off.  To me a one hit wonder is a person or group who had one hit and disappeared from view or left the music business entirely.  Back when radio ruled, back in the dark ages, this happened fairly frequently; someone had a radio hit, everyone knew it, and then that was it. 

LouieB

So now, in typical fashion, that we're splitting hairs and calling into question definitions which once seemed obvious, it seems like a good time to bring up the Gear Daddies.  The Zamboni song wasn't a hit per se, but I believe it was in the MIghty Ducks or something like that, and game to be the song that "defined" the band.  Which is a shame, because it's pretty much their worst song.

When  think of ONE HIT WONDER, I think of Tommy Tutone, not Jimi Hendrix of the Grateful Dead.

To me a one hit wonder is a person or group who had one hit and disappeared from view or left the music business entirely.  Back when radio ruled, back in the dark ages, this happened fairly frequently; someone had a radio hit, everyone knew it, and then that was it. 

this.

I just thought it was interesting that artists like Hendrix and the Dead were "technically" considered one-hit wonders by the criteria in the article. Kind of funny.

One of the people in the comments section posted almost the same thing that Louie said: "I always considered a one hit wonder to be a person or group that had one extremely popular song, and then disappeared from public notice, even if they kept putting out albums."

Even that could be tough to work out, though. Jay Ferguson had one hit with "Thunder Island," but then, he was with Spirit for years before that, and considered pretty well-known at the time. Would someone like that qualify?

I may have said this earlier in the thread, but I had brain surgery, so I'm allowed...

Dexy's Midnight Runners

Great band. So much more than "Come On, Eileen."

Also...

Trio

"Da Da Da" is just the tip of the iceberg.

Dexys Midnight Runners is definitely a one hit wonder and a good one too. 

Who did that Play on Me song back in the 80s.  That's one too from that era.

LouieB

You mean "Take On Me"?

That was a-ha. Don't know anything else from them. But, in hindsight, that was a pretty cool song.

yea maybe.  The one with the cool video of running in and out of an animation.

LouieB

Yup.

a-ha - "Take On Me"

so much more. more than we asked for, really.

1209252.jpg

And we thought the overalls without a shirt was a bit much.

"Pictures of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo.  Great song later covered brilliantly by Camper Van Beethoven. And I believe I saw Wilco perform it live (maybe not; could have been dreaming!)