Those one hit wonder bands/artist you enjoy

What bands do you really enjoy who only had one notable hit (In the US at least). In no particular order

1. Del Amitri

2. Cracker

3. Better Than Ezra

4. Beck

5. The Eels

6. Nada Surf

7. Ben Folds Five

8. Blur

9. Pet Shop Boys

Runner up/Debatable entry

10. Elliott Smith (Was Miss Misery a hit??)

11. Morrissey- More you Ignore Me a Hit?

12. Son Volt-Drown was a hit??

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The La's

Jellyfish

The Knack

Mazzy Star

Marshall Crenshaw

Matthew Sweet

The Godfathers

Dexy's Midnight Runners

Nick Lowe

Crowded House

And, if you are going to be a little more dubious about what constitutes a 1-hit wonder:
Meat Puppets

Stone Roses

Gorillaz

Oasis

Fountains of Wayne.  They were a terrific band even before "Stacy's Mom," and sometimes I wonder whether they regret that song--whatever its merits, that song came to define them, for good and a lot of bad.

I adore the Eels, but I never thought of Mark as someone who ever had a "hit."  Was "Novocaine for the Soul" really a breakout?  I suppose the video did get lots of airplay on MTV in '96.

Nice call on Better Than Ezra, too.  I wouldn't have remembered that one, but I really liked that album.

We named our kid Ezra (who is now 4) --- a nurse when she saw the name on his tag, said "Hey, Better than Ezra" - it made my wife and I chuckle.

Terence Trent D'Arby comes to mind for me -- enjoyed that Wishing Well when it came out and then pretty much nothing.

We named our kid Ezra (who is now 4) --- a nurse when she saw the name on his tag, said "Hey, Better than Ezra" - it made my wife and I chuckle.

Terence Trent D'Arby comes to mind for me -- enjoyed that Wishing Well when it came out and then pretty much nothing.

Delicate was a hit for Terence too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_It's_At

#5 US Modern Rock billboard chart. Has to be as high as Marcy Playground or Better than Ezra...

Hmm well I guess I'm surprised. However I think most non music people who know beck only know loser

It's too bad Semisonic became a one hit wonder with a fairly crappy song.  I like them a lot.  Not nearly as much as their predecessor, Trip Shakespeare, but they're better than many realize or would give a chance.  Dan Wilson is a great songwriter.

Belly. 

Like many of these bands, it's a shame to limit them to one hit wonder status.  I think Tanya Donelly has a great collection of work from Throwing Muses to Belly to her solo stuff but nothing she has done before or since is as big as Feed the Tree. 

Headless Chickens - cruise control

i know 99.99% of VCers don't know this band, but they have some good songs ("Expecting To Fly," "Ghost Of Some Cold Street"). Chris also did some nice vocals for This Kind Of Punishment, and released a rather startling good solo record a few years back:

http://www.discogs.com/Chris-Matthews-Robot-Monkey-Orchestra-The-Map-Of-Love/release/1528678