• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - I don't care about that Hunger Games stuff, but the two aforementioned films are excellent.

Just saw Snowpiercer.

And, despite its being a self-conscious "message" movie, within an action film, it worked for me. I dug it. As both an action flick and as a 
"message" movie.

Yeah.

Worked.

Now, THIS movie sound fucking amazing and is my most-anticipated in as long as I can remember:
MV5BMTYzNDc2MDc0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTcw

From Rotten Tomatoes:

Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason (a breakthrough performance by Ellar Coltrane), who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Starring Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as Mason's parents and newcomer Lorelei Linklater as his sister Samantha, BOYHOOD charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before. Snapshots of adolescence from road trips and family dinners to birthdays and graduations and all the moments in between become transcendent, set to a soundtrack spanning the years from Coldplay's Yellow to Arcade Fire's Deep Blue. BOYHOOD is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting. It's impossible to watch Mason and his family without thinking about our own journey.

And, has a Tweedy song on the soundtrack! (Summer Noon.) What's not to love?

And a Wilco song ("Hate It Here").

Linklater has been a Wilco fan for a long time, and so has Ethan Hawke.  (For those unfamiliar, it's worth mentioning that Tweedy did all of the music for the 2001 movie Chelsea Walls, directed by Ethan Hawke.  And the movie is overflowing with Wilco references, including one scene where the band is the backup band on stage.)

I dunno Brock, "Sex Tape" might set a pretty high bar for summer films this year.

That's the sequel to Boogie Nights, right?  Dirk Diggler in the videotape '90s!

I'm seeing A Most Wanted Man today.  The other two are, um, lower priorities.  (I'm slightly interested in Begin Again, but only because the director also made Once.)