If we can have a running list of strong albums, why not movies, too?

Here are my favorites of the year so far, based on availability in southeast Wisconsin:

1. The Past / Asghar Farhadi / France

2. The Wind Rises / Hayao Miyazaki / Japan

3. The Selfish Giant / Clio Barnard / UK

4. The Grand Budapest Hotel / Wes Anderson / USA

5. Ida / Pawel Pawlikowski / Poland

6. Caesar Must Die / The Taviani Brothers / Italy

7. The Immigrant / James Gray / USA

8. The Rover / David Michod / Australia

9. Museum Hours / Jem Cohen / Austria

10. Life Itself / Steve James / USA

Asghar Farhadi has a rare gift as a writer: Although they require unraveling, his characters always have motivations that are complex and totally convincing. Watching his movies is like reading a novel where all the moving pieces come together with complete precision.  The Past is his second bona fide masterpiece in a row.

The best new film that I’ve seen recently was The Rover.  Images matter more than dialogue in David Michod's primitive yet graceful quest story.  Underneath the barren landscapes and surface violence lies a fragile main story about two survivors, told almost entirely through subtle reaction shots and careful closeups of intense, searching, vulnerable eyes.

Best Short Film: Possessions / Shuhei Morita / Japan

Best Summer Movie: Edge of Tomorrow / Doug Liman / USA

Most Unfairly Dismissed: Labor Day / Jason Reitman / USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2-_lt4kwXE

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Grand Budapest Hotel! What a great movie, with so many emotions swirling through. One of the funniest things I've seen in a long while, but not all all just a comedic romp. So much more. Poignant, at times tragic, and endearing.

I'm all for a list like this to keep going. I have most of those on my Netflix queue, but it's good to get some other recommendations. With the Rangers' season in the tank, I should have all summer to devote to catching up.

I haven't caught up on many of the films I've wanted to see this year--thanks for the list Beltman, you've given me a few more to look out for--so my list will be a bit light. The list isn't in any particular order:

Jodorowsky's Dune / Frank Pavich / USA & France

The Grand Budapest Hotel / Wes Anderson / USA

Locke / Steven Knight / UK & USA

Museum Hours / Jem Cohen / Austria

Mistaken for Strangers / Tom Berninger / USA

We Are the Best! / Lukas Moodysson / Sweden & Denmark

I've been waiting for both Locke and We Are the Best! to arrive in Milwaukee.  I've been a huge fan of Moodysson ever since Show Me Love (1998), and it's great that he seems to finally be back in the groove.  Also, Snowpiercer opens here today, so that's on my priority list.

I just saw Obvious Child and really loved it. Jenny Slate has come close to getting on my nerves in the past--veering a little close to too twee for my taste--but she was really good in this. It was a romantic comedy with a very indie twist and full for fresh, funny and poignant observations. 

I made the mistake of thinking a movie couldn't POSSIBLY BE AS BAD AS IT SOUNDED.

Man, was I wrong.

So wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laLoeVDX_0A

Click the link at your own peril.

I haven't seen that yet, but in general I really like David Wain's singular brand of non-sequitur humor.  Plus, I'm pretty much always in the mood for a satire taking aim at overworked romantic movie cliches, from the team responsible for Wet Hot American Summer.

Crap is crap, Beltie.

I've been waiting for both Locke and We Are the Best! to arrive in Milwaukee.  I've been a huge fan of Moodysson ever since Show Me Love (1998), and it's great that he seems to finally be back in the groove.  Also, Snowpiercer opens here today, so that's on my priority list.

I'm a Moodysson fan too. Show Me Love and Together are probably my favorites along with the one I mentioned earlier. Snowpiercer was an interesting film, and it has a good cast. Definitely worth checking out.

I caught Snowpiercer over the weekend.  It works very well as both adventure and parable.  But what I admired most was its singular tone, which maintains an impressive balance between sincere and outlandish.  The clever premise--and allegorical elements--could easily have been heavy-handed, but instead the movie carries its freight very lightly, making room for over-the-top absurdism and knowing winks at genre conventions.  With its stylized violence, it often resembles a gonzo Korean actioner, but its tantalizing production design keeps us focused on the subtext rather than the blood.  Each new train car is a new, increasingly ingenious and lunatic extension of the microcosm.  In other words, it takes its themes seriously without taking itself too seriously.

I'm not sure if Snowpiercer would crack my top ten of 2014, but it deserves to be in the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFpfJNiUDpY

Jodorowsky's Dune / Frank Pavich / USA & France

THIS was f-ing great - easily the best movie I've seen so far this year. I liked Godzilla, but it needed more Godzilla and less of everything not Godzilla. Budapest I thought was pretty good; Anderson's modus operandi really walks a fine line for me. Sometimes I dig it, other times it makes me annoyed.

I do not know. I got to see it at our area indie theater. You'll really dig it - Jodorowsky's still a trip, at age 85.

I caught Snowpiercer over the weekend.  It works very well as both adventure and parable.  But what I admired most was its singular tone, which maintains an impressive balance between sincere and outlandish.  The clever premise--and allegorical elements--could easily have been heavy-handed, but instead the movie carries its freight very lightly, making room for over-the-top absurdism and knowing winks at genre conventions.  With its stylized violence, it often resembles a gonzo Korean actioner, but its tantalizing production design keeps us focused on the subtext rather than the blood.  Each new train car is a new, increasingly ingenious and lunatic extension of the microcosm.  In other words, it takes its themes seriously without taking itself too seriously.

I'm not sure if Snowpiercer would crack my top ten of 2014, but it deserves to be in the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFpfJNiUDpY

i never heard of that one, but it made The Boston Globe's top 10 of 2014 so far.

I just rewatched "The Host" with the kids recently. Great flick. I may have to check out "Snowpiercer" based on his work with "The Host". The premise of "Snowpiercer" sounds incredibly ridiculous though.

i never heard of that one, but it made The Boston Globe's top 10 of 2014 so far.

From what I hear, Harvey Weinstein tried to get the director to re-cut the film so it would be more blockbuster-ish, the director refused, and Weinstein responded by pulling the foot long chili cheese dog out of his slimy mouth so he could order his minions to cut the film's distribution.

http://screenrant.com/snowpiercer-deleted-scenes-us-theatrical-cut-version/

I have enjoyed The Lego Movie and The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Those may be the only 2 movies I've seen in theaters in 2014.

Wait, we also saw Neighbors, which was mediocre, and the next Hunger Games movie, which had Jennifer Lawrence in it and was therefore fantastic.

I just rewatched "The Host" with the kids recently. Great flick. I may have to check out "Snowpiercer" based on his work with "The Host". The premise of "Snowpiercer" sounds incredibly ridiculous though.

The premise is indeed ridiculous, but rather than suppress it, the movie embraces and thrives on that fact.  Realism is not achieved nor attempted; it's probably closer to fable than anything else.  In its own way, The Host, too, seemed to comprehend its own absurdity.  Bong Joon-Ho is a director who often weaves that thread, and I'd especially recommend Mother and Memories of Murder.

The premise is indeed ridiculous, but rather than suppress it, the movie embraces and thrives on that fact.  Realism is not achieved nor attempted; it's probably closer to fable than anything else.

I'm with you Beltman.

The initial premise is very far-fetched, but once I bought into it, I was drawn into this stylized fable about class distinction and disparity. I loved the different sets and color palettes used throughout the film, from the bleak browns and grays in the back of the train to the bright, saturated colors of the people and train cars of the front. Not sure yet if it will crack my top 10 at the end of the year, but for now it belongs there.

i've never seen a movie w/ Jennifer Lawrence in it. at least to my knowledge.

Winter's Bone!!!!